PDA

View Full Version : VCD question/problem

cawesjmu
Aug 9, 2004, 11:57 PM
I got a VCD from a commercial place. When i insert the VCD in my OS X machine, it says "You have inserted a disk that contains no volumes OS X can read. To continue click ignore" so i click ignore and the VCD never shows up on the desktop. So i opened Disk Utility to try and mount it with no luck. So, in a Windows machine, it runs automatically in a program called "DataVideo HQ VCD player" or something like that. I tried to copy the files to the hard drive of that computer, but after ejecting the VCD, the movie doesn't work. Is this VCD copy protected? if so i can get around it? can i make it into a mpeg-4 video? any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

superbovine
Aug 10, 2004, 04:18 AM
first, do you have problems with other vcd?

i have a 12" PB and i play vcd just fine using VLC although mine are bought on the streets of malaysia so they are not quite what you call 'commercial'.

Since you said commercial, did you get the vcd from like professional studio. i.e. is it a wedding? the format that burned the vcd might come into play. have you tried it on another mac?

might check here. http://www.videohelp.com/

sorry couldn't be helpful.

cawesjmu
Aug 10, 2004, 07:29 PM
i got the VCD from the Royal Gorge Skycoaster in Colorado. It's one of those A frames, you get in a body harness and they pull you up and back and then you go swinging. I don't know what they used to make the VCD. I don't have any other VCD's so I can't figure out if it's just this VCD or if it's my computer, but i assume the VCD is okay because it works in the Windows machine. I'll try and get another one to see if that'll work, but i've had this same error with picture CD's like that ones you get when you take your film to get developed. This error only started appearing after the 10.3.3 update. Before that, the CD's worked just fine. I think VLC will work fine if i get the video onto the computer, but I still have to do that. Thanks for the link though, I appreciate the help.

Spoman
Aug 10, 2004, 09:49 PM
I received some bit-torrent files that once completed were Bin/Que files. I burned them to a CD and ended up with 3 folders. One ext folder that contained a .dat file, one mpeg folder that contained a mpeg folder that would not open with quicktime pro, and a folder that contain 6 files with .svd ext that were very small, about 1K each. How can I view this? Does anyone know? I am a newbie to video ripping and such, any help would be appreciated

cawesjmu
Aug 11, 2004, 10:24 AM
I finally got mine to work. I found the .dat file that i needed buried in a slew of folders. I'm still working on keeping the audio when converting to .mp4 in Quicktime, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. To spoman, try using the program VLC or MPlayer OS X to view the .dat file, or try renaming the .dat file to .mpg to view with quicktime. When i renamed the file, quicktime stretched the video into a widescreen format, and VLC stretched it as well, but MPlayer OS X viewed it correctly.

Thanks