Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goldboyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
I think I'm going to buy an air, just debating between the rev b with the ssd, or rev c with a normal hd. Will probably go refurb either way, unless I decide to go rev c and get too anxious to wait and just head to the local store and buy one.

I'm just looking for something that will do basic web browsing, email, office type apps... Maybe occasional movie watching, especially when traveling, but no real hard core needs like video editing or gaming.

I'm leaning towards the rev c with the normal hd, just due to the fact it's $100 cheaper and I would probably upgrade to an aftermarket ssd in a few months if I find myself using the laptop enough and needing the additional performance. I know it also has a slightly larger battery, but not sure how much of a difference it makes in the real world.

Any advice on which way to go would be much appreciated.

thanks

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
If you're buying soon, you may want to look into where you're buying from.

I've been looking into purchasing options, and paying tax through Apple for a refurb is actually almost the same price as getting it from an online retailer at near full price for a new unit, without tax and free shipping.

Just a bit of purchasing advice.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
I think I'm going to buy an air, just debating between the rev b with the ssd, or rev c with a normal hd. Will probably go refurb either way, unless I decide to go rev c and get too anxious to wait and just head to the local store and buy one.

I'm just looking for something that will do basic web browsing, email, office type apps... Maybe occasional movie watching, especially when traveling, but no real hard core needs like video editing or gaming.

I'm leaning towards the rev c with the normal hd, just due to the fact it's $100 cheaper and I would probably upgrade to an aftermarket ssd in a few months if I find myself using the laptop enough and needing the additional performance. I know it also has a slightly larger battery, but not sure how much of a difference it makes in the real world.

Any advice on which way to go would be much appreciated.

thanks

I just went through this purchasing decision... and while I can't speak to the changing out of the HD thing, I can tell you that the SSD is FAR superior to the regular hard drive. I have a 2.8ghz iMac at home and it doesn't open up applications NEARLY as fast as my Macbook Air. The SSD is an amazing technology, and well worth the money.

Based on what I know, there's virtually no differences between Rev B and Rev C. Same video card and everything. Just small jumps in processor speed and a better battery?

Good luck, loving my air so far!

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Get the B with SSD. There is very little difference between B and C models but the SSD (even the slower one Apple uses) makes it feel like a whole new machine.

goldboyd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
thanks for the comments so far, looking like i'll order the rev b with ssd. Anybody else have any input?

ctrack52

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
MBA w/SSD

thanks for the comments so far, looking like i'll order the rev b with ssd. Anybody else have any input?

I just bought the MBA Rev B with SSD from the Apple Refurb shop. It arrived last Wednesday. It is definitely faster at startup/wakeup than my 3 year MACBook (Core duo w/2gb of RAM). However, it just doesn't feel as sturdy. I keep feeling like it'll break! It will probably take me some time to get used to the thinness. Something to think about. Anyway, if you are going to get an MBA I think the SSD is the way to go. IMHO.

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
I just bought the MBA Rev B with SSD from the Apple Refurb shop. It arrived last Wednesday. It is definitely faster at startup/wakeup than my 3 year MACBook (Core duo w/2gb of RAM). However, it just doesn't feel as sturdy. I keep feeling like it'll break! It will probably take me some time to get used to the thinness. Something to think about. Anyway, if you are going to get an MBA I think the SSD is the way to go. IMHO.

It is, but I bought the Rev C with the SSD.

ctrack52

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
It is, but I bought the Rev C with the SSD.

You probably made the right choice, Rev C should be better. MacWorld reviews noted that the speed difference is much. I decided that the RevB would serve my purposes and the savings would help pay for AppleCare. I am looking forward to Apple revising the MBA Line. More RAM would be nice.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I recommend an SSD if you plan to use it as your primary computer or for anything intensive.

Also consider the Runcore SSD. It costs $400 for the large version but is worth every penny... and it's three times the speed of the stock SSD. Probably more than 9x the stock HDD.

Good luck...

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Get the B with SSD. There is very little difference between B and C models but the SSD (even the slower one Apple uses) makes it feel like a whole new machine.

Agreed 100%. Used my friend's the other day (Rev B with SSD) and it's awesome.

finiteyoda

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2007
Seems like the Runcore would be best for power users, doing more than just basic tasks, right? If all the user is opening are simple apps like Safari or Mail, which already open almost instantly with the stock SSD, seems that the 3X gain with the Runcore wouldn't be that noticeable?

I recommend an SSD if you plan to use it as your primary computer or for anything intensive.

Also consider the Runcore SSD. It costs $400 for the large version but is worth every penny... and it's three times the speed of the stock SSD. Probably more than 9x the stock HDD.

Good luck...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.