PDA

View Full Version : Google Zeitgeist

gekko513
Aug 10, 2004, 02:55 AM
I just wonder a bit about the Google Zeitgeist (http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html) . In March Mac OS had 4% and Other had 3%, but since April Mac OS has 3% and Other has 5%.

What is this Other category? OS/2? FreeBSD? HP-UX? It seems strange that these should make up 5%. Maybe it includes searches made through google's WebServices, in which case I wonder if Safari's built in search field uses WebServices?

robbieduncan
Aug 10, 2004, 03:13 AM
All the OSs you said and a load of others too (Solaris, Risc OS etc). It probably also includes hits where the OS could not be detected.

gekko513
Aug 10, 2004, 03:36 AM
All the OSs you said and a load of others too (Solaris, Risc OS etc). It probably also includes hits where the OS could not be detected.
Yes, all other OSes except Windows, Linux and Mac OS would naturally fall into the Other category. But I don't think any of these OSes had a 2% increase in marketshare between March and April.

So that leaves hits that could not be detected ... an upgrade to Safari that would make the built in toolbar searches unidentifiable to google could explain why Mac OS lost 1% and Others rose 2%.

dehgenog
Aug 10, 2004, 11:49 AM
I think the official answer is that Apple is selling an increasingly growing number of units, but the market is growing at a still faster rate. -- So TECHNICALLY they are losing share even with more users.