PDA

View Full Version : check out some of my work. critizism is welcome =]

Sdougherty
Dec 17, 2009, 09:37 PM
hey guys just gonna post a link to my work. im currently a first quarter DFVP student at the art institute of philadelphia.

most of my work is not serious and/or has bad dialogue, but i shoot everything on a JVC HD110 in 24p.

if you can ignore the crappy writing =P and just judge the demonstrated camera work it would be appreciated!

=]

Click Here (www.youtube.com/user/stephendoughertyDFVP)

appledyl
Dec 17, 2009, 09:39 PM
I liked it, I thought there were some clever shots! Especially the alarm clock in the beginning! :cool:

Sdougherty
Dec 17, 2009, 10:07 PM
I liked it, I thought there were some clever shots! Especially the alarm clock in the beginning! :cool:

thanks =] i wish i had a steady cam to get rid of all that camera shake though!

acearchie
Dec 18, 2009, 07:10 AM
To be honest you don't need a steadicam just a steady arm.

Or you could use the old tripod trick where you attach your camera to the tripod and open the legs then hold it in the middle so it balances nicely.

Most of my films are filmed like this and it works a treat!

Check out my channel in the link below!

Sdougherty
Dec 18, 2009, 07:41 AM
To be honest you don't need a steadicam just a steady arm.

Or you could use the old tripod trick where you attach your camera to the tripod and open the legs then hold it in the middle so it balances nicely.

Most of my films are filmed like this and it works a treat!

Check out my channel in the link below!

=P of course i use a tripod! lol. i was mainly talking about the tracking shots where my arm just cant hold the camera steady. thank you though

spice weasel
Dec 18, 2009, 08:13 AM
=P of course i use a tripod! lol. i was mainly talking about the tracking shots where my arm just cant hold the camera steady. thank you though

That's what acearchie is talking about - you hold and use the tripod as a steadycam counterbalance for tracking shots.

acearchie
Dec 18, 2009, 08:44 AM
That's what acearchie is talking about - you hold and use the tripod as a steadycam counterbalance for tracking shots.

Beat me to it!

The poor mans tripod steadicam works wonders!

Sdougherty
Dec 19, 2009, 03:02 PM
Beat me to it!

The poor mans tripod steadicam works wonders!

haha i have never heard of that trick! i have a little steady stick but my rather large hd110 will not fit on there lol. i will have to try out this tripod thing =] thanks guys!

acearchie
Dec 20, 2009, 06:41 AM
I also just wanted to say that in one of your films (the colours one) I think its not a good idea having the long clip at the end. Firstly the clip itself is of comparable length to the whole film you have created and it is all one clip. Nothing really happens in it and although you (or maybe your crew) seems to find it funny it can appear to simply be a little boring for the user!

Hope thats not too harsh!

Sdougherty
Dec 20, 2009, 03:58 PM
I also just wanted to say that in one of your films (the colours one) I think its not a good idea having the long clip at the end. Firstly the clip itself is of comparable length to the whole film you have created and it is all one clip. Nothing really happens in it and although you (or maybe your crew) seems to find it funny it can appear to simply be a little boring for the user!

Hope thats not too harsh!

nothing is too harsh =] youre absolutely right, i had not intended to leave that on the youtube version but i guess i got a little lazy. it used just for fun during the presentation in class. thanks again for your help though =]

AppleMatt
Dec 20, 2009, 07:05 PM
Cheapest way to DIY a steadycam is to attach a piece of string to the bottom of your camera (I do this by tying the string to a bolt, and screwing that into the tripod screw hole) and then attaching the other end of the string either to your shoe or to a washer. You simply put your leg out slightly (or stand on the washer) to hold the string taught; viola, you're three times steadier and it only cost you a few pence. This only really works for still shots though.

For moving shots...take the same size bolt and attach it to a large wooden stick (buy a mop from a pound shop). Then attach a heavy weight to the bottom of this stick. Hold the stick about 10cm below the camera and voila again; much steadier shots for only a few investment.

Finally, iMovie '09 has a smoothcam feature. Use it.

AppleMatt

Sdougherty
Dec 23, 2009, 11:21 AM
Cheapest way to DIY a steadycam is to attach a piece of string to the bottom of your camera (I do this by tying the string to a bolt, and screwing that into the tripod screw hole) and then attaching the other end of the string either to your shoe or to a washer. You simply put your leg out slightly (or stand on the washer) to hold the string taught; viola, you're three times steadier and it only cost you a few pence. This only really works for still shots though.

For moving shots...take the same size bolt and attach it to a large wooden stick (buy a mop from a pound shop). Then attach a heavy weight to the bottom of this stick. Hold the stick about 10cm below the camera and voila again; much steadier shots for only a few investment.

Finally, iMovie '09 has a smoothcam feature. Use it.

AppleMatt

those sound like some really nice cost efficient ways to make a steady-cam, thanks matt. although i don't use imovie, i'm sure i can steady shots in final cut. thanks =]

McDughf
Dec 23, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hey Steve,
I Liked The Idea Behind The Video, Very Lovely Thought Of Leaving This Prison Of A Boring Grey World And Into Another World FULL Of Brilliant Colours! Well Done!

Ok, My Main Critisms, And Please Don't Take These The Wrong Way,But They Are Just Something To Bear In Mind For Future Projects ;)

=P of course i use a tripod!

The First Few Shots Of You On Your Computer And The Clock Are Giving Me A Headache, FAR Too Much Movement Even If You Are Using A Tripod (?) These Are Little Annoyances Your Audience Will Get Peeved About, Especially The Ones Sitting In The Front Few Rows Of The Cinema Hall. You Can Usually Get Away With These Sort Of Things In Action Sequences, But I Must Admit I Am Not A Huge Fan Of Peter GreenGrass's Camera Work.

The Bit Where We Zoom Into The Screen Has A last Minute Jerk Just Before We Enter The Colour World. You Could Get Round This By Applying A Slight Rotation To The B/W World Just As We Are Tracking Into The Screen.

There Are Far Too Many Decapitations Happening, The Cameraman ( Jimmy ? ) Needs To Watch The Headroom And Make Mental Markers In The Scenery During Rehersals - This Is Another Thing That Will Annoy Your Audience. You Could Get Round This By Creative Editing. Take For Example 46 Seconds Into The Video You Jump Onto The Wall. Personally i Would Have Cut To Another Shot Of You Standing Up, Possibly Appearing On Cam From Below.

At Time 1'11'' There Is Not Really Enough Of A Difference Between The Incoming And Outgoing Clips, It Seems Almost Like A Jump Cut.

Some Decent Editing And Camerawork Follow.

The Bit With The Alarm Clock Would Have More Punch If The Alarm Sound Actually Occurred When The Digits Changed To 6:00, And Then We Linger On The Clock A Tad Too Long, And Suddenly We See The Guy With A Hand On his Forehead, Which is A Little Disorientating....And Then His Head Gets Cut Off Again. i Understand That Perhaps You Are Trying To Place The NEFF Logo Maybe, But I Think It Would Have Worked Better With Either The Whole Actor In The Frame, or Perhaps Narrow The Depth of Field So He Is In A Softer Focus, Putting Our Full Attention Onto The Logo.

With The Colour Part Of The Video, The First Time I Watched It, I Got Bored Three Quaters Of The Way Through It - It MAY Be A Bit Long, But The Fourth Or Fifth Time I Was Alright With It. I'll Need Another Screening Later.

Finally....... The Song........ Great Lyrics, But To Be Honest, I Think You Should Have Got Someone Either A Bit More Committed To The Song ( Half The Words Faded Out Or Were Not Clearly Audible ) Or Sang It In A More Manageable Key. Nice Song, Suited The Video Brilliantly, But The Performance Ruined It To The Point Of Highly Irritating.

acearchie Has Already mentioned The Outtakes / B Roll At The End ( Or The Middle ? :p ) Of The Video And I Completely Agree With Him There, So I Won't Mention Anything Else With Regards To This Apart From The Fact Perhaps You Should Leave These Out Until Perhaps You Are A Bit More Accomplished In The Industry.

Steve, It Was A Brilliant Effort, Full Marks For The Concept, Idea And The Locations Were Superbly Chosen - Very Vivid Colours And Plenty Of Life In These Sequences. Lots To Look At There. I Liked It.

So, Hopefully You Will Leave Here Today Inspired By My Constructive Criticism ( And Thankful That You Got A Free Review, Hey I Charge Good Money For These :p, But It IS Christmas....OK So I Am Bored Too! :D ). If Not, Then I Also Wish You All The Very Best, And A Like A Very Close Friend Of Mine, Just Keep Doing Things Your Way.

Barney

Sdougherty
Dec 23, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hey Steve,
I Liked The Idea Behind The Video, Very Lovely Thought Of Leaving This Prison Of A Boring Grey World And Into Another World FULL Of Brilliant Colours! Well Done!

Ok, My Main Critisms, And Please Don't Take These The Wrong Way,But They Are Just Something To Bear In Mind For Future Projects ;)

The First Few Shots Of You On Your Computer And The Clock Are Giving Me A Headache, FAR Too Much Movement Even If You Are Using A Tripod (?) These Are Little Annoyances Your Audience Will Get Peeved About, Especially The Ones Sitting In The Front Few Rows Of The Cinema Hall. You Can Usually Get Away With These Sort Of Things In Action Sequences, But I Must Admit I Am Not A Huge Fan Of Peter GreenGrass's Camera Work.

The Bit Where We Zoom Into The Screen Has A last Minute Jerk Just Before We Enter The Colour World. You Could Get Round This By Applying A Slight Rotation To The B/W World Just As We Are Tracking Into The Screen.

There Are Far Too Many Decapitations Happening, The Cameraman ( Jimmy ? ) Needs To Watch The Headroom And Make Mental Markers In The Scenery During Rehersals - This Is Another Thing That Will Annoy Your Audience. You Could Get Round This By Creative Editing. Take For Example 46 Seconds Into The Video You Jump Onto The Wall. Personally i Would Have Cut To Another Shot Of You Standing Up, Possibly Appearing On Cam From Below.

At Time 1'11'' There Is Not Really Enough Of A Difference Between The Incoming And Outgoing Clips, It Seems Almost Like A Jump Cut.

Some Decent Editing And Camerawork Follow.

The Bit With The Alarm Clock Would Have More Punch If The Alarm Sound Actually Occurred When The Digits Changed To 6:00, And Then We Linger On The Clock A Tad Too Long, And Suddenly We See The Guy With A Hand On his Forehead, Which is A Little Disorientating....And Then His Head Gets Cut Off Again. i Understand That Perhaps You Are Trying To Place The NEFF Logo Maybe, But I Think It Would Have Worked Better With Either The Whole Actor In The Frame, or Perhaps Narrow The Depth of Field So He Is In A Softer Focus, Putting Our Full Attention Onto The Logo.

With The Colour Part Of The Video, The First Time I Watched It, I Got Bored Three Quaters Of The Way Through It - It MAY Be A Bit Long, But The Fourth Or Fifth Time I Was Alright With It. I'll Need Another Screening Later.

Finally....... The Song........ Great Lyrics, But To Be Honest, I Think You Should Have Got Someone Either A Bit More Committed To The Song ( Half The Words Faded Out Or Were Not Clearly Audible ) Or Sang It In A More Manageable Key. Nice Song, Suited The Video Brilliantly, But The Performance Ruined It To The Point Of Highly Irritating.

acearchie Has Already mentioned The Outtakes / B Roll At The End ( Or The Middle ? :p ) Of The Video And I Completely Agree With Him There, So I Won't Mention Anything Else With Regards To This Apart From The Fact Perhaps You Should Leave These Out Until Perhaps You Are A Bit More Accomplished In The Industry.

Steve, It Was A Brilliant Effort, Full Marks For The Concept, Idea And The Locations Were Superbly Chosen - Very Vivid Colours And Plenty Of Life In These Sequences. Lots To Look At There. I Liked It.

So, Hopefully You Will Leave Here Today Inspired By My Constructive Criticism ( And Thankful That You Got A Free Review, Hey I Charge Good Money For These :p, But It IS Christmas....OK So I Am Bored Too! :D ). If Not, Then I Also Wish You All The Very Best, And A Like A Very Close Friend Of Mine, Just Keep Doing Things Your Way.

Barney

barney, i cant thank you enough for your review. you are totally right in your critique and observations. i guess people on here think they are all stephen spielberg when everyone makes sure they wont upset anyone lol =P i cant get enough help! im only a film student and im working to be the best that i can. i watched the video while looking for your observations and you were right! i edit and direct my films, and i will talk to my cameraman. (we actually split the work 50/50) but i cant thank you enough again. it was very appreciated believe me!