PDA

View Full Version : Does Bush feel the hot air ?

resm
Aug 10, 2004, 08:31 AM
Interesting reading. Increases my hope that he soon will be history.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/FH11Aa01.html

Thomas Veil
Aug 10, 2004, 10:57 AM
At the risk of being repetitive, it amazes me that Bush is so close to Kerry in the polls, considering his four years of corruption and all the things that are going wrong for him during this election cycle. Heck, even that commercial by those not-too-Swift Boat Veterans is threatening to blow up in his face.

With regards to another election fiasco (i.e., Florida II), I think it's amusing that, for the first time in history, a U.S. presidential election will be monitored by international inspectors. (Story here.) (http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/08/international.observers/index.html) This is the kind of thing you expect to see in Third World countries, not the United States. But I think it's fully justified, given the results of our last election. It may not change the outcome of another tight race -- its reports are not legally binding -- but it'll certainly give us another perspective, other than the Supreme Court's.

IJ Reilly
Aug 10, 2004, 12:32 PM
Yes indeed it is a sad day when so much of the population distrusts the electoral system, but not because it will be monitored by "foreigners." It's sad because nothing meaningful was done over the last four years to fix an obviously broken system. If that's not a cause for cynicism, then I don't know what is.

skunk
Aug 10, 2004, 01:20 PM
I think they should send a French team to monitor Florida.

blackfox
Aug 10, 2004, 01:55 PM
I am reminded of a series of funny satire pieces the Onion ran around the contested election of 2000...the one I am reminded of specifically, is one that read:
"Serbia sends in peace-keeping troops to restore order."

Seriously, IJ is right...we obviously have a broken system, as 2000 showed, and nothing meaningful has been done to address the situation...the implementation of Touch-screen electronic voting has been a step backwards, actually...