PDA

View Full Version : How to Organize Music with Various Artists

Fazzl
Dec 18, 2009, 06:08 PM
I listen to a lot of trance and house podcasts and albums like State of Trance and Ministry of Sound.

What is the best way to organize the artists though because each song is a different artist? Recently I've been just changing it all to one artist such as Ministry of Sound but would like to keep it as the actual artist but still sort as the Album Artist on my iTunes and iPhone.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Galley
Dec 18, 2009, 08:41 PM
Each track should have the actual artist in the Artist field. Enter "Various Artists" in the Album Artist field. The "part of a compilation" field should be set to "Yes".

Fazzl
Dec 19, 2009, 12:40 AM
Each track should have the actual artist in the Artist field. Enter "Various Artists" in the Album Artist field. The "part of a compilation" field should be set to "Yes".

yeah but if i do this and go to artists on ipod, its all under each individual artist. i want it to be sorted as "ministry of sound" on my iPhone but i guess it won't work.

scotty96LSC
Dec 19, 2009, 08:54 AM
I like to take these compilations and separate them out into the actual artists. I go find the album where the original song came from and make all the necessary changes in info. I then add the album art and I have the artist and his or her song and album. I then make a playlist for that compilation and keep that if I want to hear all the songs from that album.
Some work, but I like my music arranged that way.

theLimit
Dec 19, 2009, 11:55 AM
yeah but if i do this and go to artists on ipod, its all under each individual artist. i want it to be sorted as "ministry of sound" on my iPhone but i guess it won't work.

If you want to see the album "ministry of sound", sort by albums on your iPod instead of by artist. I wish the iPod software was smart enough to sort by Album Artist or Album by Year, as that's how I normally sort in iTunes.