PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce OSX?

MacRy
Aug 10, 2004, 09:25 AM
I always refer to it as O S EX but i've heard other people refer to it as O S 10. Which do people use?

iSaint
Aug 10, 2004, 09:31 AM
OS ten is what I say.

knicksfan58
Aug 10, 2004, 09:32 AM
i say os ex

Thirteenva
Aug 10, 2004, 09:40 AM
I say OS TEN.

I believe that is the correct way to say it. In fact if you go into terminal and use the 'say' command with the sentence "I love Mac OS X" it will also say OS ten when it reads it back.

friarbayliff
Aug 10, 2004, 09:41 AM
Meh, I still say O S Ex

Thirteenva
Aug 10, 2004, 09:45 AM
Meh, I still say O S Ex

Well if you think about it in terms of past apple os's such as OS nine, OS eight, etc... You'd call it OS ten.

LOL its' just an odd pet peeve of mine, like when people type MAC in all caps. Its not an acronym, its Mac, a proper name.

Koree
Aug 10, 2004, 09:48 AM
OS ten ^^

Peyote
Aug 10, 2004, 09:48 AM
I say OS EX

mkaake
Aug 10, 2004, 09:53 AM
ten.

really, its the only thing that makes sense... we had os 9, now we have os ex?

no, i prefer to think that the x is just a plain jane roman numeral x... when you see a series that's been named with roman numerals, do you say

wow! rocky vee i i is out! or do you say
wow! rocky 7 is out!

okay, bad example with the rocky movies, but you get the point...

jxyama
Aug 10, 2004, 09:54 AM
it's "officially" oh-es-ten since "X" stands for "10"

however, i don't think there's anything wrong with oh-es-ex anymore. i feel like apple itself has started using "X" to mean more than just the number 10, to come after OS 9.

you see apple post OS X Update 10.3.5, which makes X and 10 redundant if X was strictly 10...

edesignuk
Aug 10, 2004, 10:00 AM
Meh, I still say O S Exditto

FriarCrazy
Aug 10, 2004, 10:00 AM
It always comes out as OS SEX for me, because thats the way I feel about it ;)

Don't read too much into that...

evil
Aug 10, 2004, 10:08 AM
technically i know its supposed to be osten, but i still say osx. dont know why really. it just comes out.

mkrishnan
Aug 10, 2004, 10:13 AM
it's "officially" oh-es-ten since "X" stands for "10"

however, i don't think there's anything wrong with oh-es-ex anymore. i feel like apple itself has started using "X" to mean more than just the number 10, to come after OS 9.

you see apple post OS X Update 10.3.5, which makes X and 10 redundant if X was strictly 10...

LOL, thirteenva's suggestion of trying the say command is rather compelling, but I agree with jxyama. Whatever was originally intended, the "EX" pronunciation seems to have stuck. No one says "Office dot TEN." It was a similar move to how Intel never left Pentium, even though the name was originally based on the chip as a 80586 successor to the 80486.

Also there are applications like 0SEx or whatever its called, etc, that use the "ex" pronunciation.

But we're a happy family. We should all call it whatever we want. ;)

SolidGun
Aug 10, 2004, 10:14 AM
Apple took endless hours to come with names for specific OS X versions, let's call them Jaguar, Panther and Tiger......can you imagine the hard work of coming up with names like Panther and Tiger? Steve Jobs is suffering from illness from all that hard work. ;)

Thirteenva
Aug 10, 2004, 10:15 AM
No one says "Office dot TEN."

Actually i also say Office Ten not Office ex. An office ex seems to imply something completely different ;)

mkrishnan
Aug 10, 2004, 10:18 AM
Actually i also say Office Ten not Office ex. An office ex seems to imply something completely different ;)

I stand corrected. That's why I say the "dot." :p

ifjake
Aug 10, 2004, 10:27 AM
i never thought about it, but i've always been an O S Ex person. has a kind of "Macintosh Operating System EXTREME!!" ring to it. i'll have to use the ten more though. that seems more traditional.

Thirteenva
Aug 10, 2004, 10:32 AM
Got to wonder what will happen in the future when its time for OS XXX.

I can see the marketing now " OS triple X, giving a whole new meaning to the term 'look and feel' ".

:D

titaniumducky
Aug 10, 2004, 10:33 AM
I say OS Ten.

That's so awesome that Terminal says "OS X" as "OS Ten" but "Random Word X" as "Random Word Ex."

rainman::|:|
Aug 10, 2004, 10:49 AM
I say it correctly, "OS TEN". I've been known to bitchslap people for verbalizing "OS EX" in my presence. To me, it's just as bad as people that write "Ipod" or "MAC". Incorrect is incorrect. If you're going to use the world's most advanced operating system, pronunciation shouldn't be this hard...

paul

FriarCrazy
Aug 10, 2004, 10:53 AM
If you're going to use the world's most advanced operating system, pronunciation shouldn't be this hard...

paul

Thats why I say FreeBSD correctly :D

I guess I'll always be a true FreeBSD goon.

MacRy
Aug 10, 2004, 11:00 AM
I say it correctly, "OS TEN". I've been known to bitchslap people for verbalizing "OS EX" in my presence. To me, it's just as bad as people that write "Ipod" or "MAC". Incorrect is incorrect. If you're going to use the world's most advanced operating system, pronunciation shouldn't be this hard...

paul

You shouldn't take it so personally dude. Our American cousins mispronounce a number of things in the 'English language' but I don't go around 'bitchslapping' them.

;)

alanbuilds
Aug 10, 2004, 11:13 AM
Aww, come on . . . After years, now, of Steve Jobs' mostly-dealing-with-OSX Keynote addresses streamed live into packed Apple Store theaters, then on the Apple website, fans hanging on every word he utters on stage in front of a two-storey-high OSX graphic, AND NONE OF YOU MACHEADS REMEMBER HOW STEVE PRONOUNCES "OSX" ???!?!? (That would count as official . . .)

Oh, wait; This is the guy who pronounces Jaguar "Jag-You-Wire"!

Nevermind.

(I think either way sounds great; when I want to feel wild, free, cool and creative, I say "O S eX" [as in "EXtreme"], but when talking to a tech administrator & wanting to sound buttoned-down professional, I say "O S Ten" . . !!)

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 11:26 AM
I say "OS Ex". I like the way it sounds better, and I think that Apple had to know people would call it that. In fact, I think that most people say "OS Ex". And, yes, I fully realize that the correct pronunciation is "OS ten". However, 99%+ of the time, I'm writing it, not saying it, so it doesn't matter. In fact, when I talk, I almost always use "Panther", "Jaguar", etc. So, in the end, I'm not even sure I've actually verbalized it as "OS Ex" to anyone. However, in the voice in my head, as I read it, it's "OS Ex". Since I always wear my aluminum foil pointy cap, my brain waves aren't influencing anyone else, so I suppose it's my business alone how I choose to pronounce it internally.

I also say - out loud - "jiff" instead of "giff" when I'm talking about GIF files. Anyone have a problem with that? ;)

rainman::|:|
Aug 10, 2004, 11:27 AM
You shouldn't take it so personally dude. Our American cousins mispronounce a number of things in the 'English language' but I don't go around 'bitchslapping' them.

;)

OK, but I think it would be funny as hell if you did. Like, if every time I said "aluminum", a brit pranced out and slapped me, I would totally remember to say "aluminium".

But, as alanbuilds says, Jobs is quite clear on the OS X issue in his keynotes...

paul

FriarCrazy
Aug 10, 2004, 11:29 AM
I also say - out loud - "jiff" instead of "giff" when I'm talking about GIF files. Anyone have a problem with that? ;)
Do you like your image files creamy or chunky? :D Maybe with a little jelly?

Hehe, always been a "giff" man myself. I wonder if thats a Minesooooota thing?

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 11:38 AM
Do you like your image files creamy or chunky? :D Maybe with a little jelly?

Hehe, always been a "giff" man myself. I wonder if thats a Minesooooota thing?
No, it's a whichever-idiot-first-told-me-how-to-pronounce-it thing. They said "jiff", it was internalized, and now that's how I say it. As I speak it out loud maybe a couple of times a year, it's no big deal. Now I just say "PNG". ;)

Crucial
Aug 10, 2004, 11:41 AM
Well if you think about it in terms of past apple os's such as OS nine, OS eight, etc... You'd call it OS ten.

LOL its' just an odd pet peeve of mine, like when people type MAC in all caps. Its not an acronym, its Mac, a proper name.

Interesting.

You misuse two apostrophes, miss two out, and write OS in lower case letters -- strange for a person with such strong feelings about written and spoken English.

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 11:42 AM
OK, but I think it would be funny as hell if you did. Like, if every time I said "aluminum", a brit pranced out and slapped me, I would totally remember to say "aluminium".

The Brits are wrong - in a sense - on this one. A Brit named it - "aluminum" - and that became accepted, but then other Brits wanted it to sound more like the other element names, so they renamed it "aluminium". In a very real sense, "aluminum" is the original and 'correct' spelling/pronunciation, and "aluminium" is 'wrong'.

yellow
Aug 10, 2004, 11:44 AM
As noted a buncha times before, it's officially pronounced Oh-Es-Ten.

However, I say Oh-Es-Ex, and will continue to do so until Oh-Es-Eleven.

Because I refuse to say Oh-Es-Ex-Eye. That's just stupid.

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 11:46 AM
Because I refuse to say Oh-Es-Ex-Eye. That's just stupid.
No, it's "Oh Sexy". ;)

bousozoku
Aug 10, 2004, 11:52 AM
The Brits are wrong - in a sense - on this one. A Brit named it - "aluminum" - and that became accepted, but then other Brits wanted it to sound more like the other element names, so they renamed it "aluminium". In a very real sense, "aluminum" is the original and 'correct' spelling/pronunciation, and "aluminium" is 'wrong'.

Considering that the scientist who first named the element renamed it, those who stick with "aluminum" are wrong. :D Refusal to change does not make you correct. We could just minimise it the Japanese way to "alumi" and skip the debate.

As for OS X (not OSX), oh es ten works quite well. It seems that many people don't seem to know their roman numerals, though, and are confused. Then, there are those people who were calling Mac OS 8, System 8, too. :D

yellow
Aug 10, 2004, 11:56 AM
No, it's "Oh Sexy". ;)

Oh jebus, I think I just pee'd myself :)

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 12:02 PM
Considering that the scientist who first named the element renamed it, those who stick with "aluminum" are wrong. :D Refusal to change does not make you correct. We could just minimise it the Japanese way to "alumi" and skip the debate.
Well, there is dispute as to whether Sir Humphry Davy was involved as an advocate in the change to "aluminium", although he certainly advocated "aluminum". He first called it "alumium", though, which seems to me to be the easiest of all to say. :)

Bedawyn
Aug 10, 2004, 12:05 PM
Heh. I say "Os Ten", but I wouldn't be taken aback for more than a second if someone said "O S Ten." If they said "Os Ex", I would think they were either a Mac user trying to be cute or a clueless Windows user.

I have to stand up for folks who type "Ipod" though. Incorrect, yes, but it takes time to retrain your fingers. With "MAC", they're ignoring the standard rules of the language to do their own bizarre thing with no logical justification. With "Ipod", at least they're following the rules of the language at the expense of the computer industry's bizarre and illogical defiance of proper capitalization.

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 12:06 PM
It seems that many people don't seem to know their roman numerals, though, and are confused.
I pity those trying to pronounce "X11". ;) As well as those old-timers who edit with "six", er, vi.

yellow
Aug 10, 2004, 12:08 PM
With "MAC", they're ignoring the standard rules of the language to do their own bizarre thing with no logical justification.

Oh for the love of hummus, don't get me started on that one.

yellow
Aug 10, 2004, 12:09 PM
As well as those old-timers who edit with "six", er, vi.

Just remember, you cannot spell EVIL without VI. Meh.

Thirteenva
Aug 10, 2004, 12:10 PM
Interesting.

You misuse two apostrophes, miss two out, and write OS in lower case letters -- strange for a person with such strong feelings about written and spoken English.

I also don't wash my hands after going to the bathroom. :rolleyes: :eek: :p

I believe I was commenting on spoken english, but your major is obviously in pointing out the obvious and not deciphering the context of the message.

michaelrjohnson
Aug 10, 2004, 12:10 PM
I pity those trying to pronounce "X11". ;)

:D LOL

It's so true.

It seems that it varies. In certain applications the "X" is a roman numeral, and in others, just a character.

For example:
xServe not "tenServe"
MacOS X not "Mac O S ex"

Ah well, when reading, I usually am thinking "OS Ex", but it always comes out properly as "Ten"

Thirteenva
Aug 10, 2004, 12:18 PM

I'm also guilty of saying 'giff' and have been told repeatedly that 'jiff' is the correct pronunciation. Can we get an English major to weigh in on this?

Also I say PNG as 'p' 'n' 'g'. I can't bring myself to call it a 'ping'.

windowsblowsass
Aug 10, 2004, 12:34 PM

But, as alanbuilds says, Jobs is quite clear on the OS X issue in his keynotes...

paul

actually aluminum wwas originally written alumium, but it was then changed to aluminum to go better with latin but was later changed to aluminium by the british to go along w/ other elements so either would be correct really

stevehaslip
Aug 10, 2004, 12:42 PM
aluminium or aluminum it doesn't matter! although it is funny to argue! :p I had a friend who was overly pro britain, he told me off EVERY single time i said an american word. Such as: Train station - railway station, schedule - sked-dule, etc etc. I don't really mind because i have accepted the fact that words from other languages or dialects get assimilated into our own language all the time.

BUT... If i see color written one more time!!!:mad::mad:

hehehehe... by the way its colour!(i won't win this arguement because most of you are american)

Savage Henry
Aug 10, 2004, 12:49 PM
I tend to refer to it by the cat code-name ... but i think I may stop at Tiger because it just seems too worn.

So plump me in the 'Oh, Essex' side of the argument.

iGav
Aug 10, 2004, 12:55 PM
OS 10 all the way for me ever since 2000. ;)

Saying 'OS X' is just silly, as it's wrong... simple. Reminds me of all the muppets who insisted on calling Jaguar 'Jagwire' after it was announced, because "That's how Steve Jobs says it" :rolleyes: ****** me... how dim can you be. :eek: :rolleyes: :p :p

Hoven
Aug 10, 2004, 01:02 PM
Apple took endless hours to come with names for specific OS X versions, let's call them Jaguar, Panther and Tiger......can you imagine the hard work of coming up with names like Panther and Tiger? Steve Jobs is suffering from illness from all that hard work. ;)

I do the OS Ten. Probably because I still have a old PowerMac running OS "Nine" so that's how I keep 'em straight.

So, SolidGun raises an interesting question in my mind.... what happens when they run out of big cat names? Birds, Cars, rockets; whatever is fast? OS X Eagle, OS X Raven.... or OS X Turbo, OS X SuperCharged or OS X SuperSonic, OS X LightSpeed. Hmmm.

MacsRgr8
Aug 10, 2004, 01:07 PM
I always say OS "ten', and correct anybody who says OS "ex" (or "ix" as they would pronounce it over here :rolleyes: ).

It's one of our most-loved products!
Let's give it the respect it deserves all call it by its rightfull name. :p

yellow
Aug 10, 2004, 01:27 PM
but i think I may stop at Tiger because it just seems too worn.

Me too.. but I'll surely start again at Mac OS X version 10.6.x, codenamed "Mackerel Tabby"

janey
Aug 10, 2004, 01:27 PM
its OS ten. OS ex sounds cool, but thats wrong. Yeah, you dont say vi is `six`, but the `X` in `OS X` is a version number thats in roman numerals. besides, what would you say for `vim`? six-m? :p

But this discussion is as pointless as `how do you pronounce linux?`, and half the people pronouncing it lih-nucks because thats how linus torvalds says it. :p really. as long as we all understand eachother who really cares? This is just a pronounciation quirk, no biggie. It is more...correct, in a way, to say OS ten though. Thats the way all the apple folks say it, as well as the majority of Maccies out there.

And I see I'm not the only one who has a pet peeve about the whole `MAC` or `Ipod` thing ;)

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 01:33 PM
its OS ten. OS ex sounds cool, but thats wrong. Yeah, you dont say vi is `six`, but the `X` in `OS X` is a version number thats in roman numerals. besides, what would you say for `vim`? six-m? :p
Clearly, VIM is "994", right? My memory of Roman numerals is a bit dim. But at least I use the Latin pronunciation of the X in OS X, which, of course, is "Ex". ;)

bousozoku
Aug 10, 2004, 01:37 PM
I pity those trying to pronounce "X11". ;) As well as those old-timers who edit with "six", er, vi.

It's easy to pronounce X11, ex windows. What did all these people call it before it got to the current release? :D

People shouldn't even use vi, the visual interface to ed. It's easier to use ed or emacs or Teco or pico or... ;)

janey
Aug 10, 2004, 01:57 PM
Clearly, VIM is "994", right? My memory of Roman numerals is a bit dim. But at least I use the Latin pronunciation of the X in OS X, which, of course, is "Ex". ;)
ROFLMAO i forgot about that ;)
Hehe :p

I rather like vi. and vim. and nano. emacs i use, but ehhhh...

cifriX
Aug 10, 2004, 02:20 PM
I say it Mac OS 10. Which has been the official way to say it since its release. However I sometimes jokingly call it Mac OS neXt - for various reasons (but for that matter you could just as well call it Copland, Rhapsody, BeOS, or Mac OS Classic; seeings it contains technologys for each of these OS's mixed together).

Applespider
Aug 10, 2004, 02:34 PM
How many OS "Ex"ers started using their Macs after OS 9 was relegated to Classic level?

And how many OS "Ten"ers upgraded from OS 9 to make it seem really logical?

I missed out on OS 8 and 9 while on the dark side. When I looked at Macs again late last year, I saw it and automatically read it as OS eX (despite 5 years of Latin) probably because I like how it sounds and people generally know what it means outside the Mac community.

yellow
Aug 10, 2004, 02:54 PM
How many OS "Ex"ers started using their Macs after OS 9 was relegated to Classic level?

Not I. My first Mac was a System 6 Mac SE in 1990, and every OS in between that and OSX. But I still say OS eX.
My first Apple was an Apple IIe. I say 2E.

jxyama
Aug 10, 2004, 02:55 PM

And how many OS "Ten"ers upgraded from OS 9 to make it seem really logical?

I missed out on OS 8 and 9 while on the dark side. When I looked at Macs again late last year, I saw it and automatically read it as OS eX (despite 5 years of Latin) probably because I like how it sounds and people generally know what it means outside the Mac community.

i didn't consider buying a computer until i started working with OS 9. (this was a year and a half ago.) i hated windows but didn't want linux because i wanted a laptop with preloaded OS. and i thought OS 9 was better enough over windows so i wanted to get a Mac laptop. imagine my delight when i got to use OS X and found out that that would be the OS on the new Mac laptop! :)

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 02:58 PM
Not me, either. I used my first Mac in the fall of 1984.

kgarner
Aug 10, 2004, 03:03 PM
OS Ten for me, though I have said OS Ex on occasion. Then I promptly slap myself silly to make pennance.

Edot
Aug 10, 2004, 03:18 PM
There is no reason is should be pronounced "Ex". The X in OS X is a roman numeral not a letter. Therefore it should assume the English pronunciation for this symbol, which is "Ten". As far as using the Latin pronunciation, that would be ok if you are speaking Latin but I could argue the same for OS "Diez" which is still "Ten" in English not "Ex". You would not say OS "Ekeese". I am amazed at all of the responses that pronounce it "Ex". I never hear it that way unless it is someone unfamiliar or new to Macs. Maybe it is a regional thing, but I still stand as "Ex" being incorrect. It isn't a preference, just as Windows "Ten Pee" would not be correct either.

yellow
Aug 10, 2004, 03:24 PM
Right or wrong, I will continue to say eX. I know how to say it properly. But as an American, it's my right to call it eX. Hell, I can call it Mac OS railroad-crossing if I want. Sweet! If that means to someone that I don't know anything about Mac OS X, so be it. They'd be quite wrong.

James L
Aug 10, 2004, 03:37 PM
Hehe, this thread cracks me up!

I switched to OSX basically the day it was released, and work with Mac heads daily... I am surrounded by them actually. I have NEVER heard it called OS Ex before, and all of a sudden now I see this thread that weighs about 50-50 on calling it OS ten vs. Os X!

Too funny, you learn a new thing everyday!

Peyote
Aug 10, 2004, 03:37 PM
Right or wrong, I will continue to say eX. I know how to say it properly. But as an American, it's my right to call it eX. Hell, I can call it Mac OS railroad-crossing if I want. Sweet! If that means to someone that I don't know anything about Mac OS X, so be it. They'd be quite wrong.

Amen brotha! I am not new to Macs, and was there to experience OS9 for a few years...and I'm still gonna call is OS ex no matter what. if Apple wanted it to ba called OS 10, they should have named it OS10.

The way I see it, OSX is so different and so much better than OS9 that it almost seems belittling to refer to it as OS 10....that just sound like a revision to OS9. OS Ex sounds much more like what OSX is...a huge leap in the OS evolution.

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 03:40 PM
This thread is getting a wee bit too emotional on the part of some people, I think. No one here disputes that "OS Ten" is the correct pronunciation. Of course, the thread asks how we each say it, not what the correct pronunciation might happen to be. If Apple didn't want people to say "OS Ex" then they should have labeled it OS 10. In fact, they label the versions that way, but use the 'X' in the OS name.

Some of us just prefer "OS Ex", regardless of correctness. Does it really matter? Do many of the people in this forum actually talk to one another all that often?

And, BTW, the "Latin pronunciation of X" thing was a joke....

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 03:45 PM
And with Xcode, Xgrid, X11 (admitedly, not Apple's), Xserve, and Expos (anyone see a play on words there?), I don't think Apple's exactly discouraging the whole "Ex" pronunciation.

hulugu
Aug 10, 2004, 04:19 PM
I wasted a year learning Latin and so I have always thought of OSX as 'ten', which makes logical sense considering it was previously 8, 9 etc. It makes more sense to say 10.3.5 as 'ten-dot-three-dot-five' rather than 'echs-dot-three-dot-five.'
The system is ultimately a number symbolized by the Roman Numeral.
How would you say Superbowl XXXIII?
'Welcome to Superbowl Echs-Echs-Echs-Three' or 'Echs-Echs-Echs-Eye-Eye-Eye'
Nope. It's 33 or 'thirty-three'.

Right or wrong, I will continue to say eX. I know how to say it properly. But as an American, it's my right to call it eX. Hell, I can call it Mac OS railroad-crossing if I want. Sweet!...

Mac OS 'Kris-Kross'
For a hip-hop generation; or at least those who can wear their shirts on backwards!

I pronounce it Ten, but OS Echs is just fine, if a little bit illogical.
Those silly Latinaes caused this in the first place.

Dr. Dastardly
Aug 10, 2004, 05:58 PM
I say O S ex just because its .002 seconds faster and time is money! :rolleyes:

Really I just like how it rolls of the tounge easier than OS10, and for those that don't like it.

Ipod MAC Ipod MAC Ipod MAC!

BWA HA HA HA HA!

MacFan26
Aug 10, 2004, 06:00 PM
That's so awesome that Terminal says "OS X" as "OS Ten" but "Random Word X" as "Random Word Ex."
I say OS ten as well. I said ex when I first started hearing about it, until I realized it was supposed to be a roman numeral. Anyway, I love that thing about the Terminal too, I didn't know about the "say" command until today :rolleyes: :D

apple2991
Aug 10, 2004, 06:12 PM
Jobs says OS Ten, so i do too.

7on
Aug 10, 2004, 06:21 PM
I say OS TEN.

I believe that is the correct way to say it. In fact if you go into terminal and use the 'say' command with the sentence "I love Mac OS X" it will also say OS ten when it reads it back.

Type "I love Mac OSX" without the space...

hmmmmmmm a pickle to your scheme

mkrishnan
Aug 10, 2004, 06:21 PM
I say OS ten as well. I said ex when I first started hearing about it, until I realized it was supposed to be a roman numeral. Anyway, I love that thing about the Terminal too, I didn't know about the "say" command until today :rolleyes: :D

This say command is super-fun. :) I tried to trick it with "MacOS X Malcolm X MacOS X" but it stayed with me. But it does say Office dot Ex.... :D

Oh, another funny one: it says XServe correctly because it knows it too. If you put in some other random x word, like "xmosaic" (old school, right?), it doesn't pronounce it in the same way.

Ahhh, we could have a whole rumors board just off this command. :)

homerjward
Aug 10, 2004, 06:34 PM
i say os EX. but i hate people who say like "os ex 10.3 panther"

bousozoku
Aug 10, 2004, 06:43 PM
I wasted a year learning Latin and so I have always thought of OSX as 'ten', which makes logical sense considering it was previously 8, 9 etc. It makes more sense to say 10.3.5 as 'ten-dot-three-dot-five' rather than 'echs-dot-three-dot-five.'
The system is ultimately a number symbolized by the Roman Numeral.
How would you say Superbowl XXXIII?
'Welcome to Superbowl Echs-Echs-Echs-Three' or 'Echs-Echs-Echs-Eye-Eye-Eye'
Nope. It's 33 or 'thirty-three'.

Mac OS 'Kris-Kross'
For a hip-hop generation; or at least those who can wear their shirts on backwards!

I pronounce it Ten, but OS Echs is just fine, if a little bit illogical.
Those silly Latinaes caused this in the first place.

Even they would not go through all of that.

X = decem.
XXXIII = triginta et tres.

hulugu
Aug 11, 2004, 01:30 AM

X = decem.

Exactly.

Even they knew better.

Colonel Panik
Aug 11, 2004, 02:49 AM
Personally I couldn't give a rat's behind, and I say '10' | 'X' depending on which way the wind is blowing (yes, really).

I don't know. Some people argue that it's called '10' because that's a natural progression from 8, 9... which is not true.
Before Mac OS X, we used Mac OS 9, NOT Mac OS IX.
So it's clear that Apple were trying to tie into the whole 'generation X' use of X, which is 'cool'. Hence, although they've said that it should be pronounced 'OS 10', it's ambiguous. If it's 'OS ten', then why not write it 'OS 10'? Why 'OS X'? Since when did we all start counting in roman numerals once we reach X, er, ten?

Let's see, they could have done it in hex, and we could be on 'OS A', or perhaps binary, so that would be 'OS 00001011', "but pronounced 'OS Ten'".

It used to be that movie sequels were billed as 'II', 'IV', etc., but now they're sticking with Arabic numerals, ala 'Spiderman 2'. Why is that? Are people getting dumber?

MacRy
Aug 11, 2004, 03:55 AM
It makes more sense to say 10.3.5 as 'ten-dot-three-dot-five' rather than 'echs-dot-three-dot-five.'

Now that brings up a whole new other thing doesn't it because I say 10 point 3 point 5.

:)

MacFan26
Aug 11, 2004, 03:58 AM
Now that brings up a whole new other thing doesn't it because I say 10 point 3 point 5.
Me too, I've always said "point." The first person I've ever heard say the "points" as "dots" was Steve Jobs ironically.

yellow
Aug 11, 2004, 06:58 AM
From here on out, it's officially known as:

Mac Oh Ess Roman Numeral Ten.

You skipped reading it here first.

jefhatfield
Aug 11, 2004, 07:23 AM
at this late stage in the game, you will find people who use ex and some who use ten, but the mac people i know are more into using the terms jaguar, panther, and tiger to refer to the newest apple operating systems

os x as we know it will probably be around for many years and i suppose the next version will be os 11 since os xi just does not look right ;)

jsw
Aug 11, 2004, 07:28 AM

X = decem.

So it's officially "O S deckem"? This is getting tedious. I think I'll stick to the cat names. At least they're unambiguous.

titaniumducky
Aug 11, 2004, 08:14 AM

:)

That's interesting because I usually just say "10 3 5." Sometimes I'll say "10 dot 3 dot 5" or "10 point 3 point 5." It just varies. :)

MacFan26
Aug 11, 2004, 04:10 PM
I think I'll stick to the cat names. At least they're unambiguous.
Except for the Jagwire vs. Jagyouare ;)

musicpyrite
Aug 11, 2004, 04:26 PM
When typing I always type 'OS eX'

But when saying it verbaly, I always say 'OS Ten'

Doraemon
Aug 11, 2004, 04:34 PM
I always call it MacOS dix. :p

Seriously, though, when the OS X beta first came out, I thought the X was standing for UNIX. But I soon was told otherwise and ever since I call it MacOS ten (dix).

Elan0204
Aug 11, 2004, 04:38 PM
I call it OS "Ten." However, I usually use the cat names if I'm speaking to someone that knows Macs. I'm pretty sure that OS Ten is the official pronunciation.

Makosuke
Aug 11, 2004, 05:35 PM
I'm with the folks that think "ex" but say "ten", because I know that's what Apple technically intended (and it sounds better to me in a conversation).

As for version numbers, I've NEVER met anybody who pronounced 5.1 as "five dot one" -- they're distinct from a web address, because they're conceptually numeric. Heck, X.x releases are even called "point releases"! I guess people have gotten a little too used to saying "." as "dot". At least 5.3 meters long isn't "five dot three meters long"... not yet, anyway.

I will sometimes omit pronouncing the periods in a version number at all if I'm talking to somebody technically savy, though -- "ten three five" instead of "ten point three point five".

RacerX
Aug 11, 2004, 06:29 PM
Well, I've been calling it "Mac OS 10" since I first heard of it (WWDC 98) partly because I heard it first and saw it in print second. Even then the big question at the time was if Apple was skipping Mac OS 9. That wouldn't have been an issue if the "X" was supposed to be an "ex". But Apple did take great pains when they first introduced Mac OS X to say that the "X" was pronounced "10". Further, Apple hadn't even applied the 10.x.x version numbering until the final public release in March of 2001.

Having the "X" in the name has led to Apple rethinking their version numbering. Had they not tied themselves to "X", 10.0 would have been 10.0, 10.1 would have been 10.1, 10.2 would have been 10.5 and 10.3 would have been 11.0. As it stands now, even major advances in the operating system are given what used to be considered incremental version number advances. Given that, I wonder how well thought out this marketing of the Mac OS X name was.

:rolleyes: Of course I don't have a problem with people who call it something else. I say "Rhapsody 5.6" when I read Mac OS X Server 1.2 any where. To each their own. :p

hulugu
Aug 11, 2004, 07:49 PM
It used to be that movie sequels were billed as 'II', 'IV', etc., but now they're sticking with Arabic numerals, ala 'Spiderman 2'. Why is that? Are people getting dumber?

I'd blame the Alien series for making that such a mess:
Alien (1st movie)
Aliens (2nd movie, okay cute, it's not Alien 2)
Alien3 (but the three was set above, so it looked like Alien cubed, wtf?)
Alien: Resurrection (so back to just naming)

But, I can't forget Terminator:
Terminator (1st movie)
T2 (wha!)

And then it got worse:
Independance Day
as ID4 (what movie are we seeing again?)

Meanwhile Batman just started renaming the movie each time: Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, then Batman Begins ($#^@!)

The system's busted. And, with the Star Wars prequels, so that I saw Star Wars: A New Hope Episode IV in 1977 (okay I didn't see it then, but later), but Episode I in 1999.
Or, Pitch Black, which became the Chronicals of Riddick!
Please, let's go back to Arabic Numerals.
Or, even Roman Numerals.

X is the ultimate symbol apparently, it stands for UNIX, Xtreme, 10, or the sound echs (ex). Plus, it really is a kick-ass graphic, either Aqua blue, or with Jaguar spots, or all Shiny.

Still better than the butterfly.

janey
Aug 11, 2004, 11:38 PM
the arabic numerals are probably because its harder to confuse them. Really, like you see stuff like IV and II, you can misread them and not everyone knows what that is, et cetera.

and in all honesty, Darwin/OS X has a BSD foundation which comes from UNIX. Not quite UNIX...

The thing is, i think both OS `ex` and `ten` are acceptable to everyone in the Mac community. If people say anything otherwise, it could be misunderstood...but even PC people accept both pronounciations.

jcook793
Aug 11, 2004, 11:53 PM
It has to be eX. There was no OS VII, OS VIII or OS IX. If it was supposed to be ten, it'd be OS 10, just like nine was OS 9.

Also I just realized that this means Apple will go bankrupt after 2 more operating system versions because we can only go up to OS Y and OS Z after this (since I clearly just proved that X is not being used here as a Roman numeral). It turns out that the forecasting of Apple's demise will finally come true.

MacFan26
Aug 12, 2004, 01:44 AM
Also I just realized that this means Apple will go bankrupt after 2 more operating system versions because we can only go up to OS Y and OS Z after this
They'll just have to go to OS AA, BB, etc. :D

Muzukun
Aug 12, 2004, 05:36 AM
I say Oh es ex, why? It sounds cool in my view, and after years and years of math you can't help but think of X as anything besides 'ex'. Besides the big silvery/metal X makes it look like some magical variable and who knows what it represents... it could be ungodly powers within that X... so Oh Es Ex for me

after all, think what YOU can put into that variable, try it for fun!

Mac OS Bling
Mac OS Crack
Mac OS 10 or Ex (or I swing both ways, or Mac OS Bi(AKA Mac Os 'it's all good')

... I kind of like Mac Os 'it's all good' personally :)

rt_brained
Aug 12, 2004, 05:53 AM
I pronounce it, "LllerdaaaHhccchhhorkobaawwk!".

Not sure why.

Mord
Aug 12, 2004, 06:07 AM
one of my friends pronouces it "ozz ex" i laugh every time he says it

Colonel Panik
Aug 12, 2004, 07:39 AM
They'll just have to go to OS AA, BB, etc. :D

Nah, then they'll move onto foreign letters, , , , , etc. Looking forward to it.

yellow
Aug 12, 2004, 07:59 AM
Nah, then they'll move onto foreign letters, , , , , etc. Looking forward to it.

Hey dude, have you heard about new Mac OS oh-umlaut? It's st!

OSX Panther
Aug 13, 2004, 05:01 AM
i say OS ex 10,3,5......