PDA

View Full Version : Putting OS 10.4 on iBook G3 Clamshell

MaxMike
Dec 18, 2009, 11:11 PM
At my school, we have a 300MHz, 512MB RAM iBook G3 clamshell with OS 9 on it currently. It does not have FireWire and trying to use XPostFacto did not work to install. Me and my friend decided that we will try to just replace the current HD with one with Tiger already on it. We already cloned the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner from a Power Mac G3 we also have running. Drive is still sitting waiting for installation. Will this work to put Tiger on this machine? Just wanted to know before my friend and I take apart the laptop to install a HD that might not even work. Thanks! :D

Xtreambar
Dec 18, 2009, 11:33 PM
At my school, we have a 300MHz, 512MB RAM iBook G3 clamshell with OS 9 on it currently. It does not have FireWire and trying to use XPostFacto did not work to install. Me and my friend decided that we will try to just replace the current HD with one with Tiger already on it. We already cloned the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner from a Power Mac G3 we also have running. Drive is still sitting waiting for installation. Will this work to put Tiger on this machine? Just wanted to know before my friend and I take apart the laptop to install a HD that might not even work. Thanks! :D

It should. G3 machines meet the bare minimum standards to put Tiger on a machine.

A PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor running at 333 MHz or more
Built-in FireWire
At least 256 MB of RAM (512 MB or 1 GB recommended)
At least 3 GB of available hard disk space; 4 GB of disk space including the Xcode 2 Tools
DVD drive (CD media exchange was available; offer ended 19 March 2007)

MaxMike
Dec 18, 2009, 11:49 PM
It should. G3 machines meet the bare minimum standards to put Tiger on a machine.

A PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor running at 333 MHz or more
Built-in FireWire
At least 256 MB of RAM (512 MB or 1 GB recommended)
At least 3 GB of available hard disk space; 4 GB of disk space including the Xcode 2 Tools
DVD drive (CD media exchange was available; offer ended 19 March 2007)

This machine doesn't have a FireWire port. XPostFacto would have fixed this but it won't install OS X for some reason from OS 9. Thats why I am wondering if just putting in a HD copy that has a successful Tiger install would work to get past this problem.

DmbShn41
Dec 23, 2009, 05:45 PM
Mike, yeah this should work. With the new HD, I would only worry about putting 10.4 on it and thats it until you get it in the book and working. OS 9 is not really needed unless you plan on playing The Oregon Trail. :) I have a Clamshell , 366 mhz, 576 MB RAM, 120 GB HD running 10.4.11. Not bad but sucks on internet. No video capabilities pretty much, and wireless at best is thru b rated connection. Because of hardware limits, you cant run anything higher than Safari 2.2 if you can find something that old. Otherwise DHTML, and HTML 5 have hard time rendering on that machine. You get a lot of slow page loads, then no images and jumbled text.

crazyrog17
Dec 24, 2009, 10:03 AM
why don't you install tiger from a supported machine onto a small usb external hard drive. boot the clamshell from an install disc and use disk utility to copy the contents of the external drive to the internal drive.

8gb sandisk cruzers are going for ~$18 bucks now. that'd work.