PDA

View Full Version : Connecting iBook G3 to Wireless N Netgear router?

gooostovo
Dec 18, 2009, 11:59 PM
I recently acquired an iBook G3 600MHZ with an Wireless B Airport Card. My router is a Netgear WNR2000 that is standard N but is backwards compatible with b/g. I have no idea how to set this up. I've tried and it doesn't connect. Oh, and I am running 10.2.8.

I went to Starbucks and it connected there instantly. So I don't know what's going on. I would really appreciate some help!

Hrududu
Dec 19, 2009, 12:23 AM
The router is probably WPA encrypted which you're going to want 10.3.3 - 10.4 in order to use.

SuperCompu2
Dec 19, 2009, 12:28 AM
By default, most N routers do not broadcast b/g simultaneously. In some cases, it's not even possible to broadcast b/g and n at the same time.

You'll have to access the router's configuration utility through a connected machine in order to determine whether b/g is enabled or not.

Usually this can be done by going to a specific IP address. 192.168.0.1 is common, but many variations accompany different brands.

192.168.x.y is the usual format, with x and y being 0,1 or 2. You'll have to try multiple combinations to see what works for you. It may also prompt you for a login to alter the preferences, so check any manuals or documentation to see if this will be necessary.

gooostovo
Dec 19, 2009, 10:29 AM
I have it set to WEP encryption at the moment. I logged into my router settings but I didn't see anything referring to changing what it broadcasts. I will upgrade to tiger soon, I just need to get a hold of an external dvd drive.