Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghileman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Hello all,

A recent NY Times piece has inspired me attempt what I've long wanted to do but previously lacked the will, patience, and confidence in the tech to attempt: move my home computing/media system to the next level.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/technology/personaltech/10basics.html

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/11/comments/

I'd like to achieve the below goals, and any thoughts on strategy/approach would be most appreciated.

1. Wireless music streaming across my two separate stereo systems
2. Local media server of music
3. Improved access to media content (e.g., internet such as hulu, boxee, etc.) on my TV
4. TimeMachine local backup
5. More storage space (MacBook Air is my only computer and hard drive is almost full)

What additions/change would compliment the below items that I already own?

MAIN HOME THEATRE ROOM

1. PS3 (Blu-ray/DVD player, game system, Netflix/PS Network movie/tv rentals)
2. 50" plasma TV
3. Onkyo TX-SR805 Receiver
4. 5.1 Surround Sound KEF KHT 9000
5. Samsung DTBH260F HDTV Terrestrial Receiver

SEPARATE STEREO/BILLIARDS ENTERTAINING ROOM

1. Yamaha Receiver (about seven years old, works fine)
2. Sony DVD/SACD player (also about seven years old, works fine)
3. About 300 CDs that I would ideally have digitally, losslessly stored on a home media server for simultaneous streaming to my two stereos at the highest possible fidelity

COMPUTING

1. MacBook Air (Rev B, SSD)
2. iPhone 3GS 32GB (Remote app allows for control of AirTunes music streaming)
3. Linksys WRT54GS Router (G, not N)
4. Mozy.com for unlimited offsite data backup
5. ISP - Comcast; Speed -- 21 MBS download / 4 MBS upload

DO NOT CURRENTLY OWN BUT CONSIDERING

1. MacMini to connect to Onkyo Receiver/Plasma TV (provide Internet TV, DVR?, iTunes media server, TimeMachine backup of my MacBook Air?)
1a. Wireless keyboard and wireless mouse for MacMini
2. Airport Express, connected to Secondary stereo for AirTunes streaming
3. Harmony 900. Use RF to control Secondary Stereo and Primary Home Theatre room
4. Logitech Harmony Bluetooth Adapter for Playstation 3 (so that I can use the Harmony 900 to control the PS3 too)

DO NOT OWN, HAVE LOOKED AT AND THESE DON'T SEEM TO MAKE SENSE

1. Time Capsule and Apple TV - seem redundant if I get a MacMini?
2. Wireless N Router -- is N really necessary?
3. MobileMe -- don't need remote access to files at present or real time sync

Thoughts? Missing anything?

Also, can anyone explain to me why Sony and/or MSFT and Nintendo haven't gotten their act together and beefed up their respective game consoles to make attaching a Mini or any other device redundant? It would seem to me that the PS3 in particular has the potential to be the one and only device to attach to your TV.

Thanks

ghileman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
bump

any feedback?

what do people think of this d-link boxee boxy thingy announced at CES? i like the remote.

romanticf16

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Commerce Twp. MI
External storage

You'll need external storage for the Mac Mini for back up(of both computers) and a separate external storage for media. A more robust external dvd burner would also be advised, as the one in the Mini is not robust and there isn't one in the Air.

GottaLoveApple4

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
You basically have it all lined up already and it looks like you did the research to back up your ideas. What I would do reflects almost exactly what you have:

Mac Mini - Main Home Theater Room - Connect via HDMI and use the Logitech Remote/iPhone Remote App as you said. Also, connect an external hard drive(s) to the Mini to run backups for your Macbook Air and the Mac Mini itself. Run the backups of those to Mozy.com as well for offsite backup.

Airport Express - Billards Room - Use optical connection on the Airport Express for the best sound if the receiver has that connection, otherwise just use RCA jacks.

The only thing else that I would say that you might want/need is MobileMe. The reason I say that, even though you said you didn't think you needed it, is that it can keep your bookmarks, calendars, contacts, notes, etc., in sync with the Mac Mini and Macbook Air so you have the same things to work with in both locations, instead of having to always work on the Macbook Air/Mac Mini. Also, not to mention that you can access the Mac Mini remotely via Back to My Mac, that way if you are out of the house and want to grab a few files off the Mini, you can.

Good Luck and Enjoy it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.