PDA

View Full Version : IPOD EMERGANCY!!!

spikymohawks
Aug 10, 2004, 12:04 PM
i have an ipod and i resently deleted my itunes library. i plugged in my i pod and it started updating but i was fast enough to unplug it. I was lucky that the itms songs were still on the ipod the rest was not. how do i plugin my ipod and not have it update. It would be great if i got this info today cuz im leaving for a week and need to put those songs on my library,
thnx

rainman::|:|
Aug 10, 2004, 12:30 PM
There are many utilities that you can use to move music from your iPod to your Mac. They all do pretty much the same thing. Search http://www.versiontracker.com

paul

Horrortaxi
Aug 10, 2004, 01:00 PM
There's an option in iTunes to automatically update playlists. Uncheck that. Problem is I think you need to mount the iPod before you can change iPod preference in iTunes.

Once stuff is gone it's gone unless you use heroic measures and are somewhat lucky.

Lastly, don't delete your iTunes Music Library! I see this happen repeatedly and it usually has bad results. The iPod and iTunes are designed to work together so consider them linked. Changing things in iTunes breaks the iPod--look at it that way.

Back up your library--don't delete it. I have my 50GB library on my Mac and it's backed up in 2 other locations. I don't want to lose it.

seamuskrat
Aug 10, 2004, 02:21 PM
I would do as the second poster suggested. Use a third party utility to copy the songs from the iPod to the hard drive.

I am pretty sue that if you change the user name on your mac or create another account, you can safely attach the iPod without it auto updating. I have 3 Macs and it knows a 'foreign' machine in terms of auto update.

Copy the songs to the hard drive and then you can change back to yur regular user and resync and re add your songs.

iostream.h
Aug 10, 2004, 02:26 PM
Ollie's iPod Extractor (http://isophonic.net/applications/) (Free)

MemphisSoulStew
Aug 10, 2004, 02:56 PM
To stop your iPod from automatically updating when you connect it hold down Command and Option when you plug it in and keep them held down until the iPod appears in the iTunes Source list.