Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IHateMyVaio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
I hate my two and a half year old Sony Vaio [17"].:(
My plan to replace it with a netbook did not go well. Too slow, but I quickly adapted to the monitor size.
so...................do I buy a new iMac or can I buy a mini and with the appropriate cables use it with the monitor on my old Vaio. Anything more complicated than buying cables and plugging in means I will be buying the iMac.
thanks

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I'm not aware of any laptops with video inputs, so almost certainly not.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...Sony customer service stinks... I have a >6 yr old PCG-TR3A and 3 months after I bought it brand new I couldn't get an OEM Sony battery for it (and it was still a current model... I also inquired about what other 1.8" HDD would fit a couple years later (they have either Hitachi or Toshiba drives in them) and Sony said "we don't support 3rd party HDD's in our computers... I replied "they ship with Toshiba or Hitachi HDD's and they hung up on me...

...FYI, the apple refurb store gets the Nvidia 9400m whitebooks in 2.0Ghz or 2.13Ghz for $699 or $749 respectively...

IHateMyVaio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
...Sony customer service stinks... I have a >6 yr old PCG-TR3A and 3 months after I bought it brand new I couldn't get an OEM Sony battery for it (and it was still a current model... I also inquired about what other 1.8" HDD would fit a couple years later (they have either Hitachi or Toshiba drives in them) and Sony said "we don't support 3rd party HDD's in our computers... I replied "they ship with Toshiba or Hitachi HDD's and they hung up on me...

...FYI, the apple refurb store gets the Nvidia 9400m whitebooks in 2.0Ghz or 2.13Ghz for $699 or $749 respectively...

I take it that means you are not interested in my old Vaio.:p
Thanks for the Apple refurb info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.