PDA

View Full Version : My Plan for a Powerbook

Titchski
Aug 10, 2004, 01:45 PM
Ok, here goes, I've been reading the MacRumours forums for a while now (awesome site) and was seriously contemplating getting a 12" PowerBook this month, but there seems to be a lot of rumours going around about G5 PB's or G4 extended PB's sometime this winter or early next year. So, I have a cunning plan..

Bearing in mind I have never used a Mac before I am going to get an iBook to "practice" on.

During this practice period my missus will get insanely jealous of the iBook and will want it. I will gradually wean her off her PC and onto the iBook until she uses it more than me. This should take about 6 months or so which should be just around the time of release for new powerbooks.

Does anyone see any fatal flaws in this plan? :D :confused:

cslewis
Aug 10, 2004, 02:06 PM
What if she doesn't want the iBook? :p

brap
Aug 10, 2004, 02:08 PM
Women dig pretty. She'll want it. :rolleyes:

emw
Aug 10, 2004, 02:17 PM

You're assuming it will take 6 months to wean her from the PC. More likely she's going to want it about 6 minutes after you get it home.

Then what? :D

SolidGun
Aug 10, 2004, 02:42 PM
I cannot believe that we are so terrible on our women. I was going to do the same thing, but in a different way. I figured that after reading all the posts, it won't be for a while that the G5 PB would be out. So I got a 12"PB 1.33 and decided to use it to get used to Mac. I purchased the books and such. All I have to do is hand everything over to my wife later on, when they begin selling the next PB.
But I will have to accidentally break her PC laptop and take her away from my 2 desktops. She utterly hates Macs, but if I addes some flowers........

michaelrjohnson
Aug 10, 2004, 02:45 PM

What if it takes longer for the PowerBooks than you are anticipating?

Eomando
Aug 11, 2004, 09:40 AM
hehe, i think the most fatal flaw you can find with that plan is that *SHE* will want the new powerbook :p

rdowns
Aug 11, 2004, 07:27 PM
hehe, i think the most fatal flaw you can find with that plan is that *SHE* will want the new powerbook :p

with an expensive leather carry case and new shoes to match.

AliensAreFuzzy
Aug 11, 2004, 07:51 PM
Just make sure to keep the iBook all nice and pretty. You don't want her to take your powerbook because it looks so much nicer. But that's kinda futile, the Powerbooks just look so much nicer.

denm316
Aug 13, 2004, 06:55 AM
I do not recommend a Rev A G5PB, my G5 powermac has issues and its a rev a, I can only imagine the reva pb problems.

wide
Aug 14, 2004, 10:51 PM
That's why its warranted. Anyway, I would like to get a Rev. A because then, if it breaks, you can get a brand new computer and not have to pay for it. And most of the problems should be fixed in that new computer.

aswitcher
Aug 14, 2004, 11:32 PM

Apple release a new iBook in this time frame and she demands that she gets that instead of your handmedown

DJY
Aug 15, 2004, 12:13 AM
Love your concept - but a few hiccups...

If she loves the iBook / Mac... she will want a NEW one of her own...

then if she sees the PB's she might like them more (as said above women love "pretty"...

and I suspect new PB will be further away from 6 months.

Maybe the inbetween / temporary solution - is you can grab her the new iMac next month when they come out?

Abstract
Aug 16, 2004, 06:08 AM
What if she hates the iBook because she doesn't have an outfit to match?

What if the G5 PB doesn't come out soon?

What if the rev A G5 PB has heat and other issues, just like the rev A 12" PB did with much slower CPUs, I might add?

Why don't you NOT buy the iBook at all, and wait for the G5 PB?

gekko513
Aug 16, 2004, 11:11 AM
Sounds like a good plan. In the event that she also wants a PB (or if she, higher powers forbid, doesn't like OS X), you can always sell the iBook when the PB G5 is released.

Titchski
Aug 17, 2004, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the replies all. I didn't forsee the potential for a new outfit purchase as well, gawd, that'll also mean a new hairdo and nails of course - this new computer malarky gets expensive :D

I actually think the iBook will cover what I need for now, I'm pretty sure I can sell it off when the PB's come out, whenever that may be.

I've only just got power back after Charley, so I haven't had much time to plan the final assault on the bank balance yet, but thanks again all :)

homerjward
Aug 17, 2004, 08:57 PM

have her committed

aus_dave
Aug 17, 2004, 09:13 PM
Does anyone see any fatal flaws in this plan? :D :confused:She finds this thread and realises you're a scheming cheapskate? :D

Titchski
Aug 17, 2004, 09:58 PM
She finds this thread and realises you're a scheming cheapskate? :D

Oh, she already knows that! :D

aus_dave
Aug 17, 2004, 10:24 PM
I would do exactly the same thing so I can understand your scheming :o :D.

spasticmutant
Aug 17, 2004, 11:43 PM
Oh, she already knows that! :D

Once you convert her to Mac with the iBook, and then show her what a cheap bastard you are by dumping your hand-me-down on her and buying yourself a new Powerbook, she oughta dump your ass and date a shiny new guy that actually appreciates a discriminating woman.

Just remember, if you give her something used that breaks later, I guarantee it will reflect poorly on YOU. You've already told her she's not good enough to get your best. Cast-offs make ****ty gifts to quality girlfriends, no matter how well-intentioned you claim to be. If you can afford to get yourself something nice, you can afford to get HER something nice. Anything less means you don't care.

Save the cast-offs for Goodwill. For a woman that truly makes you happy, only your best should ever do.

Of course, if she isn't quality, and you don't care much, give her the cast-off. If she's smart she'll take the hint and move on. If she's not, congratulations. You're dating a doormat with low self esteem and minimal expectations, which you're able to meet. Lucky you.

Anne Marie

Wano
Aug 18, 2004, 12:42 AM
I just got my girlfriend converted to a mac. She didn't like macs before and when she started using mine she started to lean, but not enough. So, I took her to the nearest apple reseller, who also sells PC's, and she looked a little at the PC's and then came over to me in the mac section. Just yesterday we went out and baught her a new 12"Powerbook and iPod. I will actually be getting the same thing in about a month so we will have matching computers...hehe..not just for that reason. But, it will be my third mac since i switched about 1.5years ago.

Doraemon
Aug 18, 2004, 01:38 AM
I do not recommend a Rev A G5PB, my G5 powermac has issues and its a rev a, I can only imagine the reva pb problems.

I disagree.
There's nothing wrong with Rev. A's. 99% will work fine. And you'll find some DOA machines (or those with issues) even with Rev. B, C or even later.

Jo-Kun
Aug 18, 2004, 04:42 AM
My G5 revA works just fine... but maybe thats because I waited long enough ;-) I bought mine in April (since the stole my PowerBook then... and I was allready looking to get a G5)

anyway: women like shiny things, I think she will want a PowerBook, because its shiny... allmost like giving a jewel... not just a plastic ring you get at a fair, but the real deal... so good luck with YOUR iBook and HER PowerBook :p

my ex-girlfriend was PC-minded, she didn't like working with MacOS (but then I was running OS9.2.2 on my Ti-Book, I think she would like X better...) but she loved the look of my Ti-Book: slim and metallic stylish... she wished her bulky PC laptop looked the same...
and she DIDN'T like the look of my B&W => too much Plastics (and gave same comment to my iMac DV)

but then I sold the plastic lot, kept the Ti-Book and got my iPod... she felt it was expensive... but liked the metallic backpart (mirror for her make-up??)

so its all the looks for women.

I drive a small car... she didn't mind because the color was what she loved: dark green metallic... LOOKS matter for women :-)

J

evilgEEk
Aug 18, 2004, 05:39 AM
...she oughta dump your ass and date a shiny new guy that actually appreciates a discriminating woman...

...You've already told her she's not good enough to get your best...

Of course, if she isn't quality, and you don't care much, give her the cast-off. If she's smart she'll take the hint and move on. If she's not, congratulations. You're dating a doormat with low self esteem and minimal expectations, which you're able to meet. Lucky you.
Anne Marie

wow.

I'm doing basically the exact same thing, except it's actually my wife's idea. And lucky for me, otherwise I too would suffer the wrath of Anne Marie!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

*suspenseful music plays in background*

Titchski
Aug 18, 2004, 06:28 AM
Thanks for your input Anne-Marie, its good to get an opinion from the other side of the sexual fence.

So what you're saying is I that I should save up for a powerbook, leave my missus with the fairly brand new PC I built lovingly with my own two hands for her and also buy her something shiny and brand new, like a new vacuum cleaner or an iron or something?

Champale
Aug 18, 2004, 09:31 AM
Titschki, that was too dang funny.

I, at least, appreciate the light heartedness your plan was presented in.

However, maybe Anne Marie was right and your malignant scheme is nothing more than another ill-intended chauvinistic wedge between the sexes. In that case, may the ghost of Gloria Steinem haunt your laptops! :D

Titchski
Aug 18, 2004, 10:29 AM
Titschki, that was too dang funny.

I, at least, appreciate the light heartedness your plan was presented in.

:D

Thanks :D I guess some people just don't get the phrase "tongue in cheek". Of course I wouldn't give a cast off laptop to my wife (unless she asked for it), I'd give it to her mother! ;)

rueyeet
Aug 18, 2004, 12:36 PM
Notice also that Titchski wasn't the one saying his wife would want the iBook because "it's pretty". Now that would have placed his plan firmly in the realm of contemptuous and demeaning.

As posted, though, it sounds like a wonderful way to make a new Mac convert. :D

edesignuk
Aug 18, 2004, 12:37 PM
Does anyone see any fatal flaws in this plan? :D :confused:She's a woman, it's her role in life to find a problem with whatever you decide to spend money on!

spasticmutant
Aug 18, 2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks for your input Anne-Marie, its good to get an opinion from the other side of the sexual fence.

So what you're saying is I that I should save up for a powerbook, leave my missus with the fairly brand new PC I built lovingly with my own two hands for her and also buy her something shiny and brand new, like a new vacuum cleaner or an iron or something?

Aren't you just the heartbreaker. :p Geez, you may as well go for it and buy her a circular saw or an air compressor. Show her how much you really care.

Anne Marie

FuzzyBallz
Aug 18, 2004, 01:57 PM
Women dig pretty.:rolleyes:
Interesting... how many women are there on this forum?

Titchski
Aug 18, 2004, 03:08 PM
Aren't you just the heartbreaker. :p Geez, you may as well go for it and buy her a circular saw or an air compressor. Show her how much you really care.

Anne Marie

Darn Anne-Marie - you really don't know how close you are... We've just been through Hurricane Charley and shes been eyeing up a generator and wants me "to do something about those trees". So after work I'm off to buy said generator (for her) and a chainsaw (to do what she wants with those trees).

You must really have that womens intuition thing going there :D

Anyhow, this is getting waaaaayy off topic now, what would you do? get the iBook now, or get the powerbook later (whenever the newer versions come out?)

spasticmutant
Aug 18, 2004, 04:00 PM
Darn Anne-Marie - you really don't know how close you are... We've just been through Hurricane Charley and shes been eyeing up a generator and wants me "to do something about those trees". So after work I'm off to buy said generator (for her) and a chainsaw (to do what she wants with those trees).

You must really have that womens intuition thing going there :D

Anyhow, this is getting waaaaayy off topic now, what would you do? get the iBook now, or get the powerbook later (whenever the newer versions come out?)

Neither. Get the chain saw, generator, bilge pump, air compressor, power washer, drills, hammers, and whatever other tools you need to dig out of the storm. Once your life is in order, you'll have the time to spend to bring in a new family member, which is what a shiny new Mac becomes. But right now, if you don't even have steady power, you can't possibly expect to use your Mac regularly. A new Mac deserves a steady power supply and a decent internet connection to get it started right, a "silicon spoon in its mouth", so to speak.

I say, buy the nicest model you can afford right now. I adore Bender, my own Powerbook Laptop, and have no regrets - but I'm a software developer and use it every day at work and home, even though he's my personal machine. I won't just abandon it the next time a new model comes around; I have a personal relationship with Bender. I won't upgrade until I can achieve a vast improvement in the quality of my computing experience by doing so, and when that happens, I'll still keep Bender around and put him on light duty.

You can give your honey an account and show her what a Real Machine is like. If she wants her own later, great. If all she wants later is an iBook, so be it, you lucked out. But if she wants the Powerbook, you'll be the greatest guy in the world if you buy HER the top of the line Powerbook. And if you still have serious hardware envy, I'm quite sure you'll find a way to sell your old Powerbook and buy the new one.

Anne Marie