Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cactusgary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
az
If you plan to purchase an Apple TV to download movies - forget about it unless you wish to wait for 3-6 months for the latest movies - ones that are available at Blockbuster or Netflix.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the Apple TV for my music put through my sound system and looking at my photos.

However, when it comes to movies, Apple is way too interested in SELLING the latest movies to make the big buck rather than rent them.

I was not planning to purchase a blu ray player - but I think I will.

Apple is too greedy to continue to get my business.

MCRunning

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
It's not Apple's fault for only giving you the option to rent new releases 30 days after they are released, it's the studios. Look at the situation with Redbox. Warner Home Video, Universal and 20th Century Fox are giving Redbox trouble in getting new releases. I believe some studios are trying to do this with Blockbuster and Netflix.

Here is an article form techcrunch a month ago:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/10/we-know-hollywood-is-this-dumb-et-tu-netflix/

Also it looks like Netflix is on board with getting new releases 30 days after, if they get strike a deal that suits them:

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-netflix-wants-half-off-price-under-release-delay-scenario/

cactusgary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
az
Apple TV vs renting DVDs

If it was only 30 days - that would not be a problem. However, it is much longer. Further, many good movies are never available to rent. I still hold to my original view.

MCRunning

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
If it was only 30 days - that would not be a problem. However, it is much longer. Further, many good movies are never available to rent. I still hold to my original view.

And you believe it is Apple who is doing this? The movie studios aren't happy with DVD sales, therefore they prolong the wait in the ability to rent. Then people get antsy and go out and buy the movie instead.

You think Apple is holding out on releasing movies to rent because they make more of a profit selling the DVD rather than renting? Shouldn't it be vice-versa? It's not Apple's fault at all, it's the studios.

cactusgary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
az
Apple TV vs renting DVDs

And you believe it is Apple who is doing this? The movie studios aren't happy with DVD sales, therefore they prolong the wait in the ability to rent. Then people get antsy and go out and buy the movie instead.

You think Apple is holding out on releasing movies to rent because they make more of a profit selling the DVD rather than renting? Shouldn't it be vice-versa? It's not Apple's fault at all, it's the studios.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes I do. The movies are available in the Blockbuster and other DVD rental places up to 6 months before they "might" appear on Apple TV.

I have 2 Macs and luv the machines. I just purchased a Mac Notebook for my wife - and the experience at the Apple Store in AZ was anything but pleasant.

I knew exactly what we wanted - but had a couple of questions about the ability of the notebook to talk to my Mac and print via the printer hooked to my Mac. 1 hour later, after dealing with 2 totally incompetent salespeople who wanted nothing more than to upsell me, I left - but with the computer. If I was not already a Mac user - I would have walked out and remained with PC.

My subsequent discussion with the store manager was fruitless.

All these people were interested in was maximizing the largest sale they could from me - nothing more.

So, my attitude towards Apple sales and support has changed for the worse.

Bye the bye - when I got home and turned on the new mac - everything just worked. The machines found each other. The printer worked. That is why I luv them - So - why the hour long discussion about nothing?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes I do. The movies are available in the Blockbuster and other DVD rental places up to 6 months before they "might" appear on Apple TV.

I'm pretty sure any rental place can rent a copy of a movie it buys on the day it is available.

The studios put a delay on the digital download rental version because of their paranoia that someone may rent this for 3 or 4 bucks and be able to sell copies of it easily. Of course, copies can be created and sold from rental DVDs too I suppose, but they are 'scared' of the new download technology. I guess buying the copy for 15-20 bucks makes them feel at least that IF it's pirated...they have gotten a good bit of money for at least one copy instead of just 3 or 4 bucks for a rental. :(

The 30 day (or 6-month) cool-off period means that the title won't be as hot once they effectively lower the price.

Stupid and paranoid I know...but that's the way the studios seem to think. It's also the reason why they won't allow us to rip our own DVDs directly into iTunes without juping through hoops.

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008

You're mistaken here. it's been well documented that the Movie studios are loath to let iTunes get the same level of control with Movies that it has with Music. This is why Steve Jobs personally made a big deal when they got the studios to agree to release the digital download versions of movies "up to" a little as 30 days after release.

The studios are terrified of digital downloads cannibalizing their existing physical business. They want digital downloads to be an up sell after you buy the physical media. For just $5 more get it in iPod format, etc.

Hence they are making sure there are competitors to Apple (Netflix, Amazon+Tivo) and are intentionally limiting what's available to Apple for rental. They figure they are happy to sell you a lower than DVD quality digital version right away, but they sure as heck aren't going to let you rent it.

Apple has no reason at all to delay release. And their publicly audited financials back it up. They make next to nothing on movie sales & rentals. All their money is made on the hardware.

So you're correct .. it's fairly useless for renting new releases, but it's not because apple has some grand plan to make more money selling the digital versions. That's the studios.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma

Give me an example which titles...

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Just get a Netflix membership beside your Apple TV. That's what I do. Movies I know I will like or have seen I buy on iTunes, movies I'm not sure of I go to Netflix.

I do agree, though, the movie offerings from Apple pale big time to some other offerings and I hate that they pull movies out of the store at random times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.