PDA

View Full Version : consolidate media and DVD re-compression

matteusclement
Dec 20, 2009, 08:11 PM
Lethal or Big Boss - please save me on this one.
Using FCP 6.0.5 w/ leopard

1. consolidating media.
Often I am working off of several of my internal hard drives on my mac pro and in the end of the project, I want to save it all to a USB drive for future reference. SAVE IT ALL?
I want to bring all the video, audio, renders, project files, motion files etc onto one hard drive so that in the case that I want to edit it a year down the road, it's all there and I don't have to worry about re-connecting all my media. This would also be the Hard drive I give to the client in the end.

2. Recompress a DVD
As my own quotes shows what compression is, I understand that I am partially screwed, but hey, I'll try anything once. A client has asked that I modify a DVD i made months ago. But I deleted the files long ago. I have image files of the DVDs I made and am thinking about ripping those apart to make some small edits.
A) what format should I rip the DVD to?
B) what compressor settings should I use to ensure that pixelation isn't terrible? (Blocks of crap)

(oh, add that I placed 3 hours on this disc... SA-WEEEEEEET!)

LethalWolfe
Dec 20, 2009, 08:27 PM
You can use the Media Manager in FCP to copy all your media over to the USB drive (you'll want to use the copy function not the move function). For Motion projects and assets you'll have to copy all that over by hand. A thing to keep in mind though is that there is no guarantee that the drive will spin up so you'll want at least two copies of the HDD w/all the footage on it.

As far as the DVD goes, just use the highest bit rate you can and still fit the finished project onto the DVD.

Lethal