Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kieonsegg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
I am super excited for the 1.6ghz 120gb rev b macbook air i just bought.
Just preping everything right now.

Is there a way to transfer all my songs wirelessly across the network? Yes right?
But is there a way to transfer all my itunes info with ratings and album covers etc.. over?
I can choose to export the library but it comes as an .xml which is about 2 megs or so...
So if i were to transfer this file, i wouldnt have songs right...

Lol im totally confused hah

Any help would be great :)

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Instead of exporting .xml, you can copy the whole ~/Music/ iTunes folder over the network. Then open the "iTunes Library" file inside this folder. iTunes should look there just as it did before, with all songs and all playlists. :)

kieonsegg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Instead of exporting .xml, you can copy the whole ~/Music/ iTunes folder over the network. Then open the "iTunes Library" file inside this folder. iTunes should look there just as it did before, with all songs and all playlists. :)

Thanks for your response but this is where it gets weird, my itunes music folder is empty ha :p
Should i now just export my library as an xml and move the xml over to my "My Music" folder? and then transfer that to my new mac?

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
The .xml file does not hold any songs actually.

So first you have to find your music. Open iTunes, play one song, press CMD-R to reveal where the song is stored. A finder window is opend and probably you find your songs there.

kieonsegg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
The .xml file does not hold any songs actually.

So first you have to find your music. Open iTunes, play one song, press CMD-R to reveal where the song is stored. A finder window is opend and probably you find your songs there.

thats not the problem.
okay now i have a music folder containing the library.xml and a folder named itunes music contating all my music/videos. How do i get this to my new macbook air so that all my ratings and album arts stay etc..

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
The Air does not have a Ethernet port, right? So connecting to the network your other computer is in will only work wirelessly.

But it does have a USB port. If you've got a USB hard drive you can copy your iTunes folder to it and transfer all your music to the Air.

Henr1

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
iTunes Home Share

All you have to do is set up iTunes Home Sharing on both computers and transfer all the songs over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.