Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBook.Matt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
So im trying to play my two friends in a LAN game of starcraft over a large wireless network that extends to many people and is not managed by us. All the online articles I can find say it should work, me being on a mac, and them on PCs, but we arent having any luck. We both have the latest patches. I cant see their game on the "join game" screen under the Local UDP/IP section of LAN games. Any help?! Thanks!

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Does it work the other way around? I mean can they see when you create a game?

It could be an issue with the network though, in which case I think you're out of luck.

You could play on ICCup of course, but its not that pleasant on a Mac :(.

MacBook.Matt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
no, neither of us can see one another. we plugged in via ethernet though and it worked..but we need the wireless feature! any suggestions? also, via wireless, the two pc users cannot see eachother either.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Well you can also make a wifi network yourself. Go to the Airport menu and select Create network.

See if it works

MacBook.Matt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
how could i make a network without a router or a wired internet connection?! or can m aiport emit a LAN network?!

chill.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
wireless cards both receive/transmit signals, so if you are playing with just you 3 and don't need internet connection, you can play on a private wireless network

NeXTLoop

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
I've run into this before. You'll need to either turn your firewall off or make a rule that allows StarCraft through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.