Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aj350z

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Alright I finally filled up my 1 TB hard drive and realized I still need more space. I went ahead and bought a four bay Drobo and two 1.5 TB drives to go with it. Now I must move my iTunes folder, the playlists and the libarry to the Drobo.

Is it really as simple to just change the iTunes folder location to the Drobo and then go to File>Library>Organize Library>Consolidate files??? Or is there still another step?

Will the iTunes library copy correctly withe the play count and watched TV shows?

Thank you for the help!

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
  1. Copy the entire iTunes folder to the new drive.
  2. Launch iTunes while holding down the 'Option' key. ('Control' if you're on Windows)
  3. When iTunes asks you to select a library, browse to the newly copied directory on your Drobo.
  4. All done.

aj350z

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Can i "export library" and move that file to my main hard drive?

My itunes hard drive im using now will be placed in the Drobo after all the data is copied. Thanks

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
"Export Library" only exports your song and playlist data as an XML file. It doesn't actually export your music/video files. You need to copy the entire iTunes folder to the Drobo.

Also, you can't place a drive with data on it into the Drobo and have the Drobo keep the data. The drive has to be setup in the Drobo's array, THEN you write data to it. If you place a drive with pre-existing data in the Drobo the data will be erased when the Drobo prepares the drive for use.

aj350z

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Right. My iTunes library file is on that hard drive now. I plan on after copying the iTunes folder onto the drobo to format that drive. This way I can add it into the drobo. Since that drive will be formated I need the iTunes library file moved somewhere safe i.e. My main hard drive.

Do I just move that file or export the library?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.