PDA

View Full Version : 'MobileNavigator North America' Updated and On Sale for $59.99

MacRumors
Dec 21, 2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/21/mobilenavigator-north-america-updated-and-on-sale-for-59-99/)

Earlier this month, Navigon introduced holiday pricing on a number of international versions of its popular MobileNavigator series of GPS navigation applications for the iPhone. Late last week, Navigon followed suit on MobileNavigator North America [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobilenavigator-north-america/id321506742?mt=8)], dropping the price from $89.99 to $59.99 through January 11th.

The price drop comes alongside an update to the application, bringing it to Version 1.4 and adding quicker start-up time, integration with Google Local Search, and a number of other features.
- Enhanced Pedestrian Navigation
- Google Local Search
- Coordinate Input
- SOS/DirectHelp
- Turn-by-Turn RouteList
- Manual zooming in 2D and 3D while navigation
- Favorites are being displayed in the map
- Country Info when crossing borders
- Switch between "Music" and "Audiobook" mode for iPod playback
- Phonebook contacts can be selected as interim destinations
- Using contact groups in the phonebook is now possible
- Faster start up time
- Traffic messages can be easily browsed by sliding the screensNavigon is not the only high-profile GPS iPhone developer to offer discounted pricing for the holidays, as TomTom introduced a U.S.-only application (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/11/tomtom-introduces-u-s-only-gps-iphone-application-for-49-99/) at discounted pricing earlier this month and quickly followed with sale pricing (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/14/tomtom-u-s-and-canada-price-temporarily-cut-to-69-99/) on its broader TomTom U.S. & Canada version.

Article Link: 'MobileNavigator North America' Updated and On Sale for $59.99 (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/21/mobilenavigator-north-america-updated-and-on-sale-for-59-99/)

navguy
Dec 21, 2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for sharing! ... this is the full functioning, North American version w/ Google Search POIs, fixed price traffic, and frequent updates ... and for those considering the US-only TomTom, this is a much better value at $10 more

ashoka8350
Dec 21, 2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for sharing! ... this is the full functioning, North American version w/ Google Search POIs, fixed price traffic, and frequent updates ... and for those considering the US-only TomTom, this is a much better value at $10 more

Can any one comment whether street view is possible in either one of these discounted applications? Also can any one compare these two regarding the advantages and disadvantages of each of them? Appreciate it and I know it wold be a great help for lot of us who know less but want to buy a good GPS.

Thanks

80s Fan
Dec 21, 2009, 01:22 PM

Yes, I am interested. I've been wanting a GPS app ever since they first brought them out and now have a iTunes gift certificate burning a whole in my pocket. I've been following all the GPS threads on the forum. I'd like to get the Navigon app based on all the glowing reviews here on the forum but one thing that comes up again and again in these forum posts is the slowness of Navigon on the 3G. I see that is says "faster start-up time." Can you (or anyone) speak to this? Does 1.4 offer better performance on the 3G?

macduke
Dec 21, 2009, 02:05 PM
$35 is my breaking point. Otherwise I'll just wait until Google's app comes along. Honestly though, I think Apple is working on their own built-in solution for navigation. Google did it with the Droid, and even though that app is supposed to come to the iPhone, why would Apple buy that map company, Placebase?

Ted13
Dec 21, 2009, 03:14 PM
Honestly though, I think Apple is working on their own built-in solution for navigation. Google did it with the Droid, and even though that app is supposed to come to the iPhone, why would Apple buy that map company, Placebase?
Insurance. If Google changes its mind and doesn't give the iPhone turn by turn, or, worse, pulls Google Maps, Apple has an in-house fallback position.

abbstrack
Dec 21, 2009, 05:34 PM
Yes, I am interested. I've been wanting a GPS app ever since they first brought them out and now have a iTunes gift certificate burning a whole in my pocket. I've been following all the GPS threads on the forum. I'd like to get the Navigon app based on all the glowing reviews here on the forum but one thing that comes up again and again in these forum posts is the slowness of Navigon on the 3G. I see that is says "faster start-up time." Can you (or anyone) speak to this? Does 1.4 offer better performance on the 3G?

I use it on a 16GB 3G, and it does appear to start up faster. By my count, it starts up in between 20-30 seconds, which if you think thats long you should have seen the previous startup times.

I've yet to use it, after the upgrade...so I can't speak to the performance of 1.4, but the previous versions have worked on my phone, although its clear the 3G's hardware can inhibit performance greatly. (slow menus, keyboards, etc from time to time)..once it's up and running however, it is a handy little app. The best suggestion is to just make sure you clear your memory or restart before using.

navguy
Dec 22, 2009, 01:14 AM
Can any one comment whether street view is possible in either one of these discounted applications? Also can any one compare these two regarding the advantages and disadvantages of each of them? Appreciate it and I know it wold be a great help for lot of us who know less but want to buy a good GPS.

Thanks

No, street view is not available. Honestly, I think street view is an interesting feature to consider (and I know Google Map Nav is touting) ... and while it may be interesting to recognize the buildings and street that you are on, i have found that the precision of addresses assigned to buildings or houses leaves a bit to be desired (based on Google Street Level use) - the final address long/lat tends to be off a house or two ... not sure it's ready to come out of "beta" ... maybe in a couple of years.

Search the forums or Google for pros/cons they're out there. I don't own anything other than Navigon ... and believe me, that was after a lot of research. For me it came down to TomTom's IQ Routing vs. Navigon's discounted fixed price traffic at $14.99 in November (granted TomTom hasn't rolled out traffic yet, but no guarantee it won't be monthly fee like their current offering - see TomTom Live Services). IQ Routing was tempting but it's based on historical analysis ... nothing beats close to real-time traffic info in routing, and alternate routing, decisions. Navigon's basic routing decisions are comparable to my wife's Garmin Nuvi - completely satisfied and w/ traffic service it's very good. If you want to sample the accuracy in your area - download the free INRIX Traffic app, same data Navigon uses.

IMHO if you own a 3GS (or plan to upgrade soon), Navigon is by far the best option - and will be for a while.

Insurance. If Google changes its mind and doesn't give the iPhone turn by turn, or, worse, pulls Google Maps, Apple has an in-house fallback position.

Agreed.

Mlrollin91
Dec 22, 2009, 01:30 AM

Startup time on my 8GB 3G was around 14-17 seconds. My 3GS it boots up in 7-8 seconds depending on how much memory I have open. On version 1.3 on my 3GS it was about 9 seconds to boot up so a couple seconds faster. I don't know how 1.4 loads on 3G those times were for 1.3. I never had a problem with my 3G, and same with my 3GS. No lag whatsoever for either. Has always ran smoothly, always connects almost right away, never had signal problems. Literally nothing. Best app I've ever purchased. Completely worth the price. Especially at 59.99. I also love the traffic feature, not exactly what I expected when it came out but it is quite useful. Directed me around traffic on a couple road trips to Vegas and San Diego.

Alisstar
Dec 23, 2009, 12:57 PM
I have a 3G and just picked up Navigon. Being that I just bought it, I never got a chance to test it before the latest update. My impression with Navigon so far is that it lags too much when going from menu to menu and/or entering information. It crashed on me twice, forcing me to do a power cycle hoping that it can run properly. Doing that helped with the crashing, but it didn't help with the slowness of the app.

I can't imagine how bad this app was on 3G's before this update. And I don't know if they'll focus on fixing performance anymore. But, I hope they can fix it soon. I have a friend that has TomTom on his iPhone 3G and TomTom doesn't lag like Navigon does.

comatose81
Dec 23, 2009, 01:16 PM
I have a 3G and just picked up Navigon. Being that I just bought it, I never got a chance to test it before the latest update. My impression with Navigon so far is that it lags too much when going from menu to menu and/or entering information. It crashed on me twice, forcing me to do a power cycle hoping that it can run properly. Doing that helped with the crashing, but it didn't help with the slowness of the app.

I can't imagine how bad this app was on 3G's before this update. And I don't know if they'll focus on fixing performance anymore. But, I hope they can fix it soon. I have a friend that has TomTom on his iPhone 3G and TomTom doesn't lag like Navigon does.

I just posted in another thread that the lag in Navigon is so bad that I am seriously considering asking for a refund. I probably won't get one, but I really think they should say that Navigon is a 3GS-only app. You cannot use all of the features reliably on a 3G.

80s Fan
Dec 23, 2009, 10:24 PM

As I posted above, it's posts like this (and the one from comatose above) that make me very hesitant to purchase the Navigon app for my 3G.

I'd really like a navigation app but the more research I do, I find no good solution for 3G owners, save maybe the Tom Tom. It's so convaluted between apps with outdated maps, slow apps, and the possibility of a new Nav app from Google and/or Apple, it's enough to make me want to throw in the towel for now.

navguy
Dec 24, 2009, 01:00 AM
As I posted above, it's posts like this (and the one from comatose above) that make me very hesitant to purchase the Navigon app for my 3G.

I'd really like a navigation app but the more research I do, I find no good solution for 3G owners, save maybe the Tom Tom. It's so convaluted between apps with outdated maps, slow apps, and the possibility of a new Nav app from Google and/or Apple, it's enough to make me want to throw in the towel for now.

What you say makes a lot of sense; although my experience on 3G phone was fine ... granted I shut off some of the features of phone (e.g. wi-fi) and nav app (e.g. iPod feature)

... if you go down the TomTom path, double check that the US-only version has full functionality and an up-to-date map/POIs ... i've read that it may have older maps and less POIs (which would be less cost to distribute) .. if that's the case, you might consider the North American one for a bit more money - map detail and POIs make all the difference ...

Good luck w/ your decision.

Galley
Dec 26, 2009, 03:48 PM
$60 is a reasonable price, and I received some iTunes gift cards for Christmas, so I purchased it. It works well from my limited testing, and the maps seem up to date. My neighborhood appears correctly, including the alleyways which also have names. Google maps still shows streets that have not existed for more than three years!

Alisstar
Dec 26, 2009, 04:47 PM
$60 is a reasonable price, and I received some iTunes gift cards for Christmas, so I purchased it. It works well from my limited testing, and the maps seem up to date. My neighborhood appears correctly, including the alleyways which also have names. Google maps still shows streets that have not existed for more than three years!

Is that on a 3G or 3GS?

I got TomTom for my 3G. In the little bit of driving I've done this weekend, this app has worked really nice so far. I really like this app and I'm very pleased with the purchase. Good luck with your purchase!