Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powpow

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
I know this app is a "live" app, meaning it does not download huge amounts of maps on purchase and gets the maps on the fly.

My question is this: If I'm going from an area with strong coverage to an area with weaker coverage (i.e. SF bay area to northern Nevada), does the app cache the maps after I enter the directions? Or will I lose the maps completely if I get in a so-so coverage area?

Thanks!

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I don't think you get much "cached" information, ergo if you lose data contact you lose app function. Why not get Navigon, an excellent application with maps on board?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think it downloaded most of the route initially but depends on how far your drive is.
If you dont get great coverage even with 2G or GPRS you should be able to get the data you need.
But I agree, A preinstalled map like Navigon would be a better option IMO.

powpow

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
I just found this on a review:

Should you find yourself starting a trip in an area without network coverage you are simply out of luck until you drive to an area with network coverage. However I didn’t experience any issues while driving into an area with in and out network coverage– the app downloads maps ahead of time to help prevent that type of issue.

emuyshondt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
Navigon US+Canada is on sale in the US App Store until January 11 for $59.99. That's about the same as 6 months worth of AT&T Navigator. I'd get it as insurance for travel in poor phone coverage areas if I really wanted AT&T Navigator. However, I've been using Navigon for a few months and I consider it the best car navigation iPhone app at this point in time. I would not want an off-board solution like AT&T Navigator.

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I am considering the Navigon app. To those of you that have it:

1. Can I have the app running and listen to the iPod?
  2. So, this app will have the entire map of my route even if there is little to no coverage?
  3. Does this app offer voice directions?

jt999

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
I used AT&T Navigator and Navigon side by side to see how they compare.

With Navigon, I had a very difficult time keeping a signal; it was constantly losing reception. While the maps are pre-installed, it is of little help if your location cannot be pinpointed. Over and Over again I would receive turn instructions AFTER the street had been passed.

On the exact same route, AT&T worked perfectly; never once losing reception. Excellent routing and timely turn instructions. Also, AT&T is much easier to read. The graphics are simple and very readable. With Navigon, the color scheme made street names often very hard to read. I also find the traffic warnings much more intuitive on AT&T.

I know that AT&T has been lambasted because it is a subscription, not a one time purchase price. But for me, I do not mind spending a little more because I really need my GPS to work. Also, AT&T is now available for $69.99/year...not a bad price and I will never have to pay for updates.

I will say Navigon is a good program when reception is good. However, look at the reviews. Many people have had big problems with Navigon in borderline reception areas.

Jeff

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

2. So, this app will have the entire map of my route even if there is little to no coverage?

1 yes
2 yes the entire map of the whole US, Canada and Puerto Rico. With this app you dont need any cellphone signal or anything else but GPS reception. You can take your simcard out and still use it.
3 yes turn by turn voice navigation with street names announcements and also live traffic is an option if you're interested.
And unlike AT&T's app once you buy it you never pay a monthly fee again.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

With Navigon, I had a very difficult time keeping a signal; it was constantly losing reception. While the maps are pre-installed, it is of little help if your location cannot be pinpointed. Over and Over again I would receive turn instructions AFTER the street had been passed.

Jeff

What does a program have to do with poor Satelite reception?
If you dont have good signal or locked into the Satelites one program or another cannot make the signal or triangulated position any stronger. Both programs use the same GPS chip inside the iphone.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL

1) Yes
2) Has all of North America on your phone (assuming you get the North America version)
3) Yes

As for reception issue - it's GPS - if you've got line of sight with sky you have true GPS triangulation. A bit difficult to get a lock in cities with tall buildings. Was in butt**** Colorado in August and hade excellent directions, even on dirt roads in the boonies. In Denver, had to get out of downtown to get true sky GPS lock.

uneek1

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
I'd have to recommend Mapquest for GPS. Ive used in on 3 or 4 trips and its worked great every time. It downloads the routes in the beginning and has great instructions on where and when to turn.

Its free for the first 14 days, then $3 a month after that. But its not a subscription so I only pay the $3 when I need it. Very good deal imo.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

On the exact same route, AT&T worked perfectly; never once losing reception. Excellent routing and timely turn instructions. Also, AT&T is much easier to read. The graphics are simple and very readable. With Navigon, the color scheme made street names often very hard to read. I also find the traffic warnings much more intuitive on AT&T.

I know that AT&T has been lambasted because it is a subscription, not a one time purchase price. But for me, I do not mind spending a little more because I really need my GPS to work. Also, AT&T is now available for $69.99/year...not a bad price and I will never have to pay for updates.

I will say Navigon is a good program when reception is good. However, look at the reviews. Many people have had big problems with Navigon in borderline reception areas.

Jeff

I've never once had a GPS reception problem with Navigon - in fact, I'm pretty positive that Navigon itself has no say whatsoever on the strength of a GPS lock. If you're having issues it's likely a hardware or OS issue. Perhaps reboot or reinstall.

jt999

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
I've never once had a GPS reception problem with Navigon - in fact, I'm pretty positive that Navigon itself has no say whatsoever on the strength of a GPS lock. If you're having issues it's likely a hardware or OS issue. Perhaps reboot or reinstall.

I doubt it is a hardware or OS issue, because AT&T Navigator works perfectly for me.
I did a complete erase and restore on my iPhone (3GS 32GB) and only installed AT&T Navigator and Navigon. I tested them on the exact same routes, minutes apart. As I said before, the performance differences were startling.

I did the same tests in other locations, and Navigon performed much better. However in certain spots Navigon alone did not work for me.
It is clear to me that in certain situations the software can become a factor. The following post provides one illustration:

"I think GPS lock is both hardware and software related ... my understanding is that the satnav apps ask the iPhone GPS to receive a lock - they monitor the progress of the GPS lock and do have 'guidelines' on what they will start navigating w/ ... so for example, if the lock is 1,500 feet, they don't start ... if lock is 1,000, they don't start ... if lock is, 500 feet, then start navigation ... each app may have different guidelines that they will start creating faster or slower locks ... there are pros/cons on starting too soon - pros: quick lock, happier 'lock oriented' customers...cons: lack of precision in location, routing causing drifting ... anyways, there are trade-offs."

There may be many software variables that could affect GPS reception.
I am definitely not an expert, but I am certainly sure of my own experiences.

Jeff

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I don't know about how valid your scientific experiment is. Even If you did go thru the same routes as you claim satelites are not in a static position, they have many different orbits so signal lock and strength will vary thruout the day.
Anyway I never had any problems locking gps fast and maintaining signal and I use Navigon every day.

emuyshondt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
Have you tried Navigon recently? I seem to recall there have been some enhancements in the area of GPS management in the current version (1.4) or the last one.

jt999

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
I don't know about how valid your scientific experiment is. Even If you did go thru the same routes as you claim satelites are not in a static position, they have many different orbits so signal lock and strength will vary thruout the day.
Anyway I never had any problems locking gps fast and maintaining signal and I use Navigon every day.

Take my experiments for what they are worth.
However, they were done minutes apart on the exact same route.
My results never varied on my test routes.
On certain routes AT&T always worked and Navigon never worked.
On other routes, they both always worked.

Have you tried Navigon recently? I seem to recall there have been some enhancements in the area of GPS management in the current version (1.4) or the last one.

I have not tried the current version (1.4); it may very well be that there have been SOFTWARE improvements that have greatly enhanced Navigon's performance.
My "testing" was done with 1.3.

I received a refund for my Navigon purchase, so I was never in a position to try 1.4.

Jeff

emuyshondt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
I've never had any GPS reception issues but most of my driving is in fairly open roads, and the cars I've used haven't had metallized windshields that may make reception more challenging.

There are few things that don't involve "software" of some kind. Even if it is not an app, almost all GPS receivers will have internal firmware that manages what to do with a signal, as described above. Software could indeed have an impact. I just find Navigon VERY good (I'm running version 1.4 but started with 1.2). I've run into far more poor cell coverage areas than into situations where I have trouble receiving GPS signals. Navigon has been very quick with updates and new features. If AT&T Navigator can manage the GPS, so can Navigon - it's only a software change away!

I also travel a lot to Europe and data charges there would be astronomical (assuming the map data is even available). I have the European version of Navigon too and it is great to be alerted to speed cameras and the like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.