PDA

View Full Version : Apple Junkyard

arn
Jul 26, 2002, 11:56 AM
Apple has applied for a trademark (http://tess.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=57lldb.2.3) for Junkyard on July 12, 2002:

G & S: computer hardware; computer software; computer peripherals; instructional manuals packaged in association therewith.

iPicture and Gigawire have been other recent Apple trademarks which has yet to become part of announced products.

iH8Quark
Jul 26, 2002, 12:09 PM
Sounds like the new home for all the rev. A iMacs they didn't sell. :p

cyberfunk
Jul 26, 2002, 12:17 PM
Perhaps they will rename the "refurbished" area of the apple store ? Although only God knows why they'd want to call it "junkyard", perhaps they are buying back old Apples for parts ? (Although.. I dont know why they'd do THAT either.)

Cyberfunk

SPG
Jul 26, 2002, 12:23 PM
Hmmm, new trash?

lem0nayde
Jul 26, 2002, 12:24 PM
I'm guessing a name for the new junk-mail sorting technology built into the mail application.

ConradG4
Jul 26, 2002, 12:36 PM
Junkyard = place for all the old G4's to go because new ones are going to be soooooooo fast!

-Conrad
:D

iGav
Jul 26, 2002, 12:38 PM
Maybe it's for all the 'Switchers' to dump their old PC's when they 'Switch'..... :p :p :p

Just a thought..... ;) :D

3rdpath
Jul 26, 2002, 12:39 PM
as a continuation of apple's switch program they had a "junkyard" for traded in pc's......

edit[ igav-great minds think alike....]

SPG
Jul 26, 2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by lem0nayde
I'm guessing a name for the new junk-mail sorting technology built into the mail application.

You're probably right, but that's sooo boring!

Compufix
Jul 26, 2002, 12:41 PM
I can see it now, you go to the Junkyard tab from the main website and get greeted with the Sanford and Son theme song in streaming format 8-)....

-Mike

gropo
Jul 26, 2002, 12:41 PM
maybe "Junkyard" will be a repository for all the Windows licenses Apple will trade-in for savings on a new Mac...:D

I like the junk mail theory

{edit: dang, 3rdpath and igav beat me to the punch}

mikedman
Jul 26, 2002, 12:48 PM
Probably an effort to prepare for the strict recycling rules being implemented in europe. Computer (as well as automotive and other) manufacturers will have to provide recycling services for all the new products they sell.

dougrowlandumn
Jul 26, 2002, 12:59 PM
My guess:

some kind of integrated version control / CVS like thing that lets you automatically save multiple versions of each file in a database and track changes. This would work in all applications and provide a uniform across-the-board way of finding differences between old and new versions, incorporating some or all new changes into the document repository, and allowing recovery of old documents from months or even years previously.

The reason for the Junkyard name:

A junkyard is a place that keeps old stuff in a reasonably accessible, organized location. If you decide that you need something that is a few months or years old, you would cruise the junkyard.

I think this could go a long way towards improving general "ease-of-use" and integration. Some programs (MS Word) have "track changes" features already, and programmers use code repositories and CVS as a matter of course. Including this feature, if done correctly, could be a great improvement for all document-based applications, and should be transparent to the user (wouldn't necessarily need dozens of dated backup files lying around in a directory for example)

Just a thought.

Doug

Mr. Anderson
Jul 26, 2002, 12:59 PM
junkyard? not the most positive word for a product. what do you find in a junkyard? trash, old stuff, things you've thrown out and don't have a use for.

I don't get it - it sounds like it would be more web/software based - but whats the app? iTrash?

D

Mr. Anderson
Jul 26, 2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by dougrowlandumn

A junkyard is a place that keeps old stuff in a reasonably accessible, organized location. If you decide that you need something that is a few months or years old, you would cruise the junkyard.

yeah, but I don't know what junkyards you've been in, you have the root around to find anything, the only organization is usually random piles.

weird, huh, can't wait to see what it is.

D

TechLarry
Jul 26, 2002, 01:25 PM
Probably a depository for all those useless 'Coupons' people got with their new Mac's that would normally have been used to update to Jaguar or QT6.

TL

Moonlight
Jul 26, 2002, 01:41 PM
maybe it has something to do with the old wrestler the junkyard dog ? .....or maybe not...

maybe it will be used as an internal codeword for something ? but then why would they need a trademark?

pgwalsh
Jul 26, 2002, 01:52 PM
Maybe like Junkyard Wars where you can find strange and unusual parts for macs, software and development. Then you can put together your own super computer....

BubbaTAC
Jul 26, 2002, 02:05 PM
I agree that this most likely has something to do with recycling computers. Two summers ago, Apple posted a job listing for an intern who could research recycling technologies and opportunities. Already sort of a boutique computer maker, Apple could add to the by advertising that they are 'green'

drastik
Jul 26, 2002, 02:12 PM
probably for the junk mail, but I think letting people trade in their PCs for a discount would be a good move fro the switch campain, although profit would dip in the short term, it would probably work out long term.

synergy
Jul 26, 2002, 02:33 PM
Sounds like to me a PC trade in thing like others said. I think they tested it out before because I remember hearing about it.

I wish there were better recycling facilities for computers. That and better organization so one can give away used working gear easier. Not very easy once I sat down and tried looking for information. I am not even talking old outdated computers as well. I have an old 15" monitor that works as well as a printer.

StuPid QPid
Jul 26, 2002, 02:34 PM
Hey! Maybe it'll be a new website from Apple to highlight all the junk rumors that have been made about the new G5, iWalk, PDA, multi-button mice, etc. etc. yawn...

:p

Aquanaut
Jul 26, 2002, 03:24 PM
Maybe the next evolution after Jaguar will be called Steptoe?

passwordispong
Jul 26, 2002, 03:40 PM
my guess is apple is coming out with their own TV show in the vein of Junkyard Wars on TLC. I can see it now, 2 teams building gliders out of old PC parts. Finally a use for all my old 486 motherboards I have laying around :)

Rocketman
Jul 26, 2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by cyberfunk
Perhaps they will rename the "refurbished" area of the apple store ? Although only God knows why they'd want to call it "junkyard", perhaps they are buying back old Apples for parts ? (Although.. I dont know why they'd do THAT either.)

Cyberfunk

Pure speculation:

Old macs make exceptinal network units. They hook up to alot of "legacy peripherals", are dirt cheap and likely only need alot of memory, a new HD and a good cleaning. Heck, who kows maybe they will make a little utility that makes these OS8.6 and OS9 running things full partners on OSX home networks.

Maybe even put all those motherboards and stuff in LCII like pizza boxes.

Rocketman

julstromt
Jul 26, 2002, 08:51 PM
apple in the uk is having a trade-in program, through a third party of course. They would not want to get their hands dirty touching those icky peecees.

http://www.apple.com/uk/promo/money_and_power/

oh well whatever

Peter_Nestor
Jul 26, 2002, 10:40 PM
I think that the junkyard will be the name for the second level emulator that will run os 9 in the OSX upadate after jaguar.

aafuss1
Jul 26, 2002, 10:49 PM
Maybe it's an OS X version of the classic Mac OS Scrapbook accessory. Well, they registered Finder, one site says Apple trademarked "Desktop", Mac,many iApp's names. They would have been trademarked in all cxountries-that's why:
__________&_______are trademarks or registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. in the US and other countries.

Huked on Fonick
Jul 27, 2002, 12:14 AM
maybe it sounded cool........

maybe apple needs money so they are goan go start sueing all the "junkyard" out there for copy right infrigment.....to what end i am not sure, the junk yards will probably end up paying with bottles and cans taht trade it for 10C each....

or maybe there gona rename iphoto, junkyard cuz thats just about al it is, a really slow, annoying aplacation for photos no one cares about but want to keep..........:D

Or maybe Steve was abducted by aliens, and when they finally finished with him the word junkyard sounded really cool.......er yayayaya

Just thoughts:cool:

-Pat

DannyZR2
Jul 27, 2002, 01:51 AM
Hm... is this good or bad?

My birthday is July 12th!!!!

Why couldn't they do something cool like new powermacs or something instaed of grabbing the name "Junkyard"

Maybe it's something for junk email to go into - for use with .mac

Rower_CPU
Jul 27, 2002, 03:27 AM
Speaking of birthdays...mine's August 22nd, so I'm hoping for nice present of a PowerMac announcement within that timeframe...*crosses fingers*:D

Arcady
Jul 27, 2002, 03:29 AM
Maybe they need a new name for .Mac after September 30th? Except I would think a better name for that place will be Graveyard. No one will be there...

Eugene1
Jul 27, 2002, 05:23 AM
You guys are getting pretty worked up over the name of a font, you know that?

Heh.

sebimeyer
Jul 27, 2002, 10:51 AM
The Junkyard™ is the place the Framistan™ will live in.

aafuss1
Jul 27, 2002, 04:17 PM
Has these words been trademarked? :

System 10
System 9
System 8
System 11
System 12

I thought Apple would trademark System 6, System 7 and so on , but there are sites using that name.

Joshlew
Jul 28, 2002, 02:22 PM
I reckon it's a new name for the refurbished part of the Apple store.

Another awful example of Apple attempting to be "cool"...............:(

iwantanewmac
Jul 28, 2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by ConradG4
Junkyard = place for all the old G4's to go because new ones are going to be soooooooo fast!

-Conrad
:D

It's about freakin' time.......... :)

nslyax
Jul 29, 2002, 04:37 PM
I like the idea of it being a new junkmail feature, but I also thought it might be the name of the next generation powermac, with its industrial like metal case. Kind of what you would expect to find if they built computers on Junkyard Wars.

bobky
Aug 8, 2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by iwantanewmac

It's about freakin' time.......... :)

And Apple gives every who dumps their old G4's brand spanking G5's!!!!!!!!

IF ONLY!!!!! :D

kwajo.com
Aug 8, 2002, 04:49 PM
I hope it has everything to do with JYD, the Junkyard Dog!!! Raptors fans hear me!! WOOF!! JYD's dog pound in the house!! T.O. champs in 2003! WOOF! WOOF! I'm Poochie the rockin' dog!

N.B. Sorry I hcould not resist, but any Raps fans are feelin what I got to say

zulgand04
Aug 8, 2002, 10:33 PM
i was bored and looking through trademarks and found ISCHOOL.

firewire2001
Aug 9, 2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by zulgand04
i was bored and looking through trademarks and found ISCHOOL.

heh. who is it registered to?

medea
Aug 9, 2002, 09:41 AM
I'm thinking it has something to do with email as well, it is really the only thing that makes sense at this point.

womble
Aug 14, 2002, 04:48 AM
http://macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=5107

I think its to do with the recycling laws...

If anyone has seen the massive junkyards in Europe full of fridges after similar laws over white goods you'll know what I mean.

I think everyone has missed the boat with the wishful thinking PC idea. Perhaps I'll be proved wrong....

Junk mail is possible too I guess, but if Apple are putting money into the recycling directive, the trademark backs it up...

Nonosse
Aug 14, 2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Joshlew
I reckon it's a new name for the refurbished part of the Apple store.

Another awful example of Apple attempting to be "cool"...............:(

...Well, i'm not sure about this idea...

I mean, the "refurbished Macs" store is supposed to sound like: "ok, dear client, this lonely Mac over there is a little scratched up here and there, but we fixed it up and it works great, all guaranteed, yahoo".

Now, just imagine the psycholgical effect (trauma ?) of a "Junkyard Macs" store - "well, yeah, we found that one back there in the garden, it spent a couple of months in the cold and the rain, but we could finally take all the rats out of it, and it runs pretty ok now. Truuuuue, you still have to be careful about not keeping it switched on for more than 45mn, if you don't want nocive fumes in your room, but the firemen said last time it was more impressive from outside".

What i want to say is that Apple still wants to sell, and you don't sell something by implicitely saying "this is a piece of junk".
Just think about the clean side of "refurbished" - you read "fixed and checked for you" -. How many hours did they spend to choose this name ?

Arnaud,

who's quite happy about the last G4 :) ,
and even happier NOT to have bought a G4 last month :) :)

BongHits
Aug 14, 2002, 10:47 AM
has anyone else noticed apple is turning into a "green" company? First the xserve (either world or companys first recyclable computer) then all of these stupid green themed icons (the triangles beneath icons in jaguar, the NEW! symbols on their product page) whats going on? no more aqua now we have emerald :eek:

topicolo
Aug 14, 2002, 11:04 AM
This coming from a guy named BongHits :). Heheheh

BongHits
Aug 14, 2002, 11:12 AM
yea i try to keep green myself :D
i also like to rant alot so ignore my insane ideas...

Nonosse
Aug 14, 2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by BongHits
has anyone else noticed apple is turning into a "green" company?

Well, there might be one reason for Apple (and other computer companies) to be forced into turning "green".

Based on my personal home experience (!), i would tend to believe that the computer market is slowly saturating, as so many computers have been bought in the last years (could that also be the reason why major computer companies are going through hard times now ?).
The problem is that, to keep on living, these companies have to sell us new (better, faster, nicer) computers, when all we want is to keep on our investment - normal situation for any sector, right ?
So, better, faster, nicer computers are released, which brings the necessity for us to change our hardware (and increase our investment) but what do we do with our former machines ?

The above mentioned "home experience" includes 1 Apple IIe, 1 LC, 1 Classic II, 1 Quadra 600, 1 PMac 4400, and 1 PBook 3400.
In all that list, the Apple IIe was the only one to leave my house for another owner, and all the rest found a place somewhere else: mainly, on shelves in my former bedroom, which slowly turns into a (dusty) museum.

The only reason this hardware (but for the 4400 and 3400) doesn't end up in the trash is guilt (and now, some ecological guilt too, as Apple products are not green yet!).
Although i'd love to give them to somebody who would need them, there is NOTHING they can be used for anymore, and i expect my 3400 and 4400 to be in the same situation really soon - USB, Firewire, MacOsX, etc... are discriminating concepts for me... (tears).
Even Internet: you can basically access e-mail and html, but for the rest...

Some people might come with the comment that a 4400 can be upgraded. Right. It can. But it has a price too - add USB, Firewire, 128Mo, a G3/400MHz chip, a bigger HD, go through the funny process of trying to install OSX, and you finally get... an expensive solution compared to the price of a new eMac / iMac, and not as powerful.

So my point is: Apple (and other companies) products share the same destiny of ending up in the junkyard, no other solution... We all know that as soon as we buy a computer, it is really hard to sell back, and hard to get supplies or stuff for after 6 months...

My next computer will certainly be one of the newly released dual-G4, which i'll use and extend/upgrade as long as possible, until the day it'll be less useful than my coffee machine. (I contemplated buying a 17" iMac, with the idea it would anyway go for a nice DVD-player when it's outdated, but then realized the DVD-standard might as well be outdated in a couple of years...)
Well, from this point of view, i'd rather have a Green (ready for trash...) computer... :)

No mistake: i'm not ranting, just commenting. I accept the rules and play along...

Arnaud...:rolleyes:

Mal
Jan 9, 2003, 11:37 AM
I wonder if it might be something along the lines of Aladdin's Spring Cleaning software (never released for OS X I believe). It will clean out all your "junk" preferences and files for programs that no longer exist on your computer.

Just a guess...

Jonathan

justdavid
Jan 9, 2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by aafuss1
Has these words been trademarked? :

System 10
System 9
System 8
System 11
System 12

I thought Apple would trademark System 6, System 7 and so on , but there are sites using that name.

With Jaguar as "System 10.2.x", I'll wager we're going to see

before we see "System 11". They'll want to get as much mileage as they can out of that Roman "X".

D.

justdavid
Jan 9, 2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by lem0nayde

Why name it if it's going to continue to be a part of Mail.app? If they were to seperate it from Mail.app, so it would sit between your MTA and MUA of choice (or between your POP/IMAP/* server and MUA of choice), then I could see giving it its own name.

D.

TheInevitable
Jan 9, 2003, 01:31 PM
My money's with a disk cleaning utility. It only makes sense.

artistry
Jan 9, 2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Aquanaut
Maybe the next evolution after Jaguar will be called Steptoe?

Just in case you don't get the reference, the original Sanford and Son was called Steptoe and Son in the UK (and much funnier IMHO) ;)

MacKid
Jan 9, 2003, 04:41 PM
What about the whole "instructional manuals packaged in association therewith." thing?:confused:

TheInevitable
Jan 9, 2003, 06:54 PM
Junkyard will be the name for an Apple branded layout program, somewhere between Quark XPress and MS Publisher. It will work seamlessly with Keynote. That's what I think.