Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5point9limited

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
posted here about this issue already, but only got one response. Here is what is going on with my MacBook:

-If I insert a music CD, the CD drive spins it and makes noise. It does not open iTunes or even show it on the desk top. It is not recognized. Then the computer ejects the disc.

-My iDVD software seems to have taken a crap. I am prompted every time the computer boots up that iDVD has quit unexpectedly and gives the options of "relaunch" "cancel" or "report to Apple".

-This is the weird part: I was going to reinstall Leopard OSX from the disc. The computer reads the discs and the "X" screen pops up. I then try to go through to reinstall the software as it tells me that it will restart.

It restarts and then ejects the disc when the Apple logo pops up. Therefore I cannot reinstall the software.

Does this sound like a software or hardware problem?

Can the fact that iDVD is not working mean that my CD's would not play?

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do here? I am desperate and would like to know what other approach I should take before I put a new drive in. Thanks in advance.

White MacBook, 2yrs old. 500gbhd, 4g RAM.

Whitefang8355

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2009
Matshita Dvd-r Uj-857d??

If you have the "MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D" optical drive then I have experience with problems similar to yours but I have a OS-X Tiger 10.4.11 Macbook about 2-3 years old.

My Problem-CD/DVDs starts to play but eventually spins to a crawl or stop.
My Solution-(no clue how to fix this)

My Problem-CD/DVDs don't show up on the desktop.
My Solution-(I use the Disk Utility to mount the disk if it doesn't show up. Sometimes the optical drive doesn't mount the disk and the Disk Utility will help you to mount the disk to the desktop. If this doesn't work it may be a hardware problem with your disk reader or the disk itself.)

I haven't had any issues with my iDVD like you describe. My solution would be to download iDVD from the Apple website and just re-install iDVD.

You should check your System Preferences under the CD's & DVDs for the rest of the issues.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 315

5point9limited

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Wow, thanks guys, this was the info I was looking for. Whitefang, The discs usually get spit out after it spins or crawls to a stop, so I dont have too much time to mount them to my desktop. I will try to download iDVD. Thanks for your input.
:)

milton.sheaf: How would I go about doing this, otherwise, besides a firewire, do I need a computer DVD/CD drive? Where can I pick one up?

Again, thanks a lot. I want to exhaust all options before I dismantle my baby!

5point9limited

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Update:
I purchased an external DVD drive and tried to install the OSX. The computer keeps saying that the disc is dirty but it looks brand new. It was doing the consistency check before it did the software download. It for about 35% through and then it said it was damaged.

iDVD still says that it is not working via the prompt on the screen. HOWEVER, the DVD player is WORKING! I played a DVD with no problems.

CD's on the other hand are ejected and never show up on the desktop. The External drive read them fine and iTunes popped right up and was able to rip the CD.

Soooo, to sum it up.
1. iDVD prompts me everytime I start the computer that it failed.

2. DVD's DO work and play just fine.

3. CD's Do not work in the drive, nothing happens...spins the disc for 30 seconds and ejects it.

4 Mac OSX disc seems to be damaged since the external drive couldnt get through the install even though the disc looks MINT.

Why wont the CD's load??

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Is the unit still under warranty?

if not and if your game enough, you can dismantle the unit, take out the dvd drive and remove the top casing.

Get some isopropyl alcohol and clean the laser. I had great success with this earlier in the week. Customer bought her macbook in wouldn't read anything soon as the disk went in out it came. Once the laser was clean the disks were being mounted, i could burn etc.

5point9limited

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Is the unit still under warranty?

if not and if your game enough, you can dismantle the unit, take out the dvd drive and remove the top casing.

Get some isopropyl alcohol and clean the laser. I had great success with this earlier in the week. Customer bought her macbook in wouldn't read anything soon as the disk went in out it came. Once the laser was clean the disks were being mounted, i could burn etc.

Not under warranty. But why would it read DVD's with no problems but not CD's? Doesnt make sense... I'm baffled, thanks for the help.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
^^ Can't explain that one to you, computers are like babies they cant tell you what is wrong. If cleaning the laser doesn't fix it then it is cactus.

Got nothing to loose trying it.

5point9limited

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Toolbox, I think you are right. I need to get a good lens cleaner. Ran the software and it didnt fix. Ran an old lens cleaner through it and it did help but not 100% of the discs work. Gonna get a good cleaner and give it a go.
Thanks!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Don't know if it has already been mentioned but try using a can of compressed air. I've had power and consistency problems in the past and a can of compressed air has fixed the problem. Matter of fact, I have to use the air almost every time I have to burn a CD or DVD. Chances are there is something wrong with the SuperDrive but I don't use it that much to send it in for repair.

5point9limited

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Don't know if it has already been mentioned but try using a can of compressed air. I've had power and consistency problems in the past and a can of compressed air has fixed the problem. Matter of fact, I have to use the air almost every time I have to burn a CD or DVD. Chances are there is something wrong with the SuperDrive but I don't use it that much to send it in for repair.

I will try that too. I don't use mine that much either. I will report back.

dvbrown

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2014
How to display CD's that don't show on desktop

If you have set Finder Preferences to Display CD's and they don't display, here is a solution.
I am using OSX Yosemite 10.10
Go to Apple Preferences
Select CD's and DVD's
In dialog box select 'When you insert a picture CD'
then select 'Run script'
The CD will immediately mount on your desktop (and in the Finder sidebar).

You can open it, view it, and eject it.

I found this solution worked with disks that had been created by Windows and would not display on my Mac desktop. I always had to restart my computer to eject the disks and they would not display. This worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.