PDA

View Full Version : Accessing special characters in fonts.

ckelley
Aug 10, 2004, 10:57 PM
Hi, I downloaded a font (Look at it here (http://img.dafont.com/img/vignettes/diediedie.gif)) and as you can see, on the left and right there are special characters (drawings).

To access these, you have to do this:
Press Alt+0192 to Alt+0211 for special codes

Now, if I was on Windows, that's pretty simple. But I can't figure out how to get to them in OS X. FontBook doesn't help too much, unless I'm doing it completely wrong. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

If you need to download the font to tell me how, click here to download the font (http://dafont.com/dl.php?os=win&fichier=diediedie).

emw
Aug 10, 2004, 11:03 PM
Most Mac special characters are accessed using the option key + a letter. For example option+e+e = . Some will also use Shift or Command as modifiers.

You may have to play around a little bit to find the ones you want, though.

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 11:11 PM
Can't seem to find them on this font. Seems like the guy punted on most of the "special" characters. The accented characters don't seem to show up, which is where I'd expect to find them, as per emw.

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 11:13 PM
They are there - use the "Repertoire" Preview in Font Book. Just not sure yet how to access them.

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 11:16 PM
Shift-option-A gets me one of them. You'll have to play around... Shift-option-S gets another. Pain in the ass, if you ask me!

janey
Aug 10, 2004, 11:42 PM
go to system preferences > international
then click on the `input menu` tab, and check off the box for `Keyboard Viewer`.
enable the menu bar thing too. now click on the menu bar and go to `Show Keyboard Viewer`.
now hold down option/shift/control/whatever keys, and you can see all the combinations possible. Much more intuitive than Alt+01734762834whatever ;)

jsw
Aug 11, 2004, 08:15 AM
go to system preferences > international
then click on the `input menu` tab, and check off the box for `Keyboard Viewer`.
enable the menu bar thing too. now click on the menu bar and go to `Show Keyboard Viewer`.
now hold down option/shift/control/whatever keys, and you can see all the combinations possible. Much more intuitive than Alt+01734762834whatever ;)
Sadly, this doesn't work for this font. Well, not really "sadly".

wrldwzrd89
Aug 11, 2004, 08:19 AM
Sadly, this doesn't work for this font. Well, not really "sadly".
You could also try the "Special Characters..." menu option, which is found in the Edit menu of most (not all, sadly...some apps don't have it for some reason) applications.

ckelley
Aug 12, 2004, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys, after awhile I got it through JSW's method, there's only a few in the whole set, so it was just alot of checking each letter with a different key combo.

I knew about the Option + Letter thing, just this odd way of putting fonts in the set was kinda tricky.