PDA

View Full Version : G3 iMac hard disk replacement

monophoto
Dec 22, 2009, 12:50 PM
I have recently replaced the hard disk (Seagate ST 316015)in my G3 iMac and when i booted from the installation disk it asked for a volume to use but the new hard disk didn't appear and it wouldn't let me quit so i just turned it off, now after changing the jumper settings and i try again all i get is the flashing question mark, any ideas please. Thanks.

spinnerlys
Dec 22, 2009, 12:56 PM
You have to format the drive first, so it has the right file system on it.
You can use Disk Utility via the Installation DVD in the Utilities Menu to do that. Just start the from the installation DVD and right after you select your preferred language you can start Disk Utility.

You select your HDD, choose the Erase tab and select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format.
Then you quit Disk Utility and go on with the installation.

http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilformat_5.htm

But it may be that whatever older Mac OS X version you have got, that Disk Utility is not included, so what Mac OS X version do you want to install?

monophoto
Dec 22, 2009, 02:54 PM
I am installing Tiger but my problem is i can't now get the installation disk to read all i get is the flashing question mark in the centre of the screen.

spinnerlys
Dec 22, 2009, 03:17 PM
Even when holding down the "C" key right after the startup sound?

monophoto
Dec 22, 2009, 04:24 PM
Yes that's what i don't understand. maybe the jumpers are in the wrong position ?

crazyrog17
Dec 26, 2009, 12:19 PM
put the jumper back in the position it was when you first got the machine back together and booted from disc.

when you boot from disc again, go to utilities up in the menu bar and open disk utility.

from disk utility, format the hard drive to hfs+ journaled.

exit disk utility and install os x, unchecking whatever you don't need like printer drivers and languages.