Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwong2006

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I am about to go on a vacation, and I recently bought a Canon HF S10 camera. I love the features, but I am having a hard time determining which frame rate format I should use.

I also own a Canon HV20 (which my dad will use for the trip), and I have always shot in 1080/60i. However, after hearing that 1080/30p is a better frame rate, I am tempted to use it.

My dad may decide to use my footage.

Without regards to frame rate mixing, should I use 60i or 30p? Which one is the better format for vacation video?

eleven2brett

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
H-Town
I would say for a personal vacation video it comes completely down to your tastes and preferences. Which looks better to you, which would you prefer editing ect. My cheap video camera shoots video that I think looks good on a television but poor on a computer screen, so I keep that in mind when I'm picking out the camera I'm going to shoot a project with.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
pulldown or reverse telecine

I use 60i all the time because when push comes to shove, I can also pull down to 24p with the HV20 (i have a 30).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.