Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I have an iPhone 3Gs and I'm looking to get some headphones that are over the ear, like the cupped ones that fit totally over the ear, I'm looking for some to use when I travel, either noise canceling or something that will drown out sounds good enough to watch movies or listen to music on a plane. Thanks!

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Two Questions:
1. Price Range?
2. Have you ever used noise-canceling headphones before. If you have not, there are some precautions. Some, including myself, find that using them creates a painful "white-noise" effect producing headaches and other pains.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
1) Noise cancelling headphones are not worth it IMHO. They do produce unpleasant noise and degrade your source sound. If you get these you will hate them if environment quiet.

2) Get over the ear headphones than enclose the ear. I've got Sennheiser HD 595's I love. Not as portable, but sounds gerat. Sennheiser makes less expensive headphone that should surround your ears and block out outside noise without resorting to electronic noise cancelling.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008

I have some Sony on-ear noise canceling headphones that I use now when I travel, I don't mind the noise canceling noises and I haven't gotten any headaches, I just don't like how that style fits on my head, they feel like they are going to fall off

they don't really have to be noise canceling, I'm just worried that the engine sound, or just the normal sound of people talking in an enclosed space might be to loud for regular headphones

price range is prolly somewhere around 200 or a little more

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
Beats by dr dre

I'm thinking about getting the white beats by dr dre...the noise canceling ones more so over the Bose because of the ability to answer calls...anyone have any thoughts on those?

The only reason I'd get the noise canceling beats is cause I want the ones thy cup all the way around the ear

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
I'm thinking about getting the white beats by dr dre...the noise canceling ones more so over the Bose because of the ability to answer calls...anyone have any thoughts on those?

The only reason I'd get the noise canceling beats is cause I want the ones thy cup all the way around the ear

Personally I'd much rather get a pair of in ear phones, they block much more noise. Then I might get a good full size pair. But noise canceling headphones are kinda odd, they try to do both things at once and ultimately not that well.

Don't get the beats, there are much better headphones. In this market, price certainly does not dictate quality. If I were you I might get a pair of full size Shure SRH440s (around ear, what I want to own someday) and a pair of etymotic er6is for planes and stuff (in ear) because they cancel about 20dB of noise more than the Bose or Beats. (Like going from a person talking to you to a quiet library according to this chart:p).

I see that you want full size headphones, but I think in ear phones would suit you much better. Really, they're not that bad. Actually, they're pretty good :D.

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889
Sony MDR-EX38ip in ear with iphone controls, the remote/mic works exactly the same way as the original apple earbuds for iphone.
Good sound quality and good noise reduction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.