PDA

View Full Version : iTunes maximum number of songs?

Choppaface
Aug 11, 2004, 01:24 AM
I remember a long time ago somebody was using iTunes to browse a huge sound effects library of some sort and was running into the maximum number of songs that iTunes could handle (I can't seem to find the thread though). I'm looking into importing a 2200+ CD collection and I was wondering if anybody might know what is the maximum number of songs that the lastest iTunes will support. Thanks for any help :)

Timelessblur
Aug 11, 2004, 01:29 AM
I remember a long time ago somebody was using iTunes to browse a huge sound effects library of some sort and was running into the maximum number of songs that iTunes could handle (I can't seem to find the thread though). I'm looking into importing a 2200+ CD collection and I was wondering if anybody might know what is the maximum number of songs that the lastest iTunes will support. Thanks for any help :)

You be safe. I know people with 10000+ song library and not a problem with them

Anna
Aug 11, 2004, 01:55 AM
Your only limit is your storage capacity

homerjward
Aug 11, 2004, 02:20 AM
2200 cd's!!!!!! whoa, u need like a lacie big disk for that wouldnt u? whered u get all that music? :eek:

junior
Aug 11, 2004, 02:28 AM
You be safe. I know people with 10000+ song library and not a problem with them

Yeah, but in his case he's likely to have at least 30,000+ songs, so it might be a bit different.
I think in the past there was a limit around that mark but they've got rid of it since iTunes 3.
I have lots of samples & sound effects CDs that I've been too scared of putting into iTunes, so I too would be interested in finding out the limit.

Horrortaxi
Aug 11, 2004, 02:35 AM
I've got over 7800 songs without any problems.

Abstract
Aug 11, 2004, 04:33 AM
How are you going to rip AND name all those albums?

stevehaslip
Aug 11, 2004, 06:47 AM
It wouldn't be too bad if you could "get cd track names" for alot of them. But even if you didn't have to type each track in you would have to sit at the computer for a long time importing.

titaniumducky
Aug 11, 2004, 08:24 AM
It wouldn't be too bad if you could "get cd track names" for alot of them. But even if you didn't have to type each track in you would have to sit at the computer for a long time importing.

Hopefully most of them are store bought (meaning CDDB can fill in your information). But I definitely agree - how could anyone wait that long?

WHERE DID YOU GET 2200 CDs!? You spent roughly $40,000 on music?

michaelrjohnson
Aug 11, 2004, 08:52 AM
I believe the artificial cap used to be around 24,000 songs. That, however, was back in the days before iTMS, in the earlier versions of iTunes. There may still be a limit, but as far as I know, 24,000 should be okay.

NusuniAdmin
Aug 11, 2004, 08:52 AM
You spent roughly $40,000 on music?

maybe hes the guy at macworld 2004 steve was talking about. The top itms buyer.....around 27 thousand dollars :p

wrldwzrd89
Aug 11, 2004, 09:03 AM
I've got 3144 songs in my library right now, but that's going to go up quite a bit once I get a whole bunch of pending imports done. I just calculated how much my library's going to grow - looks like I'll be above 5,000 songs when all the converting's done.

gallagb
Aug 11, 2004, 09:36 AM
i'm @ 11,000 songs- no prbms yet...
however- it would be cool if there were ways to Sort playlists- (by genre, or have playlist 'folders'?)

else- the biggest issue will be hard drive space-

i do have a friend who is the president of a preformance space where people like the Chicago Symphony Orchestra preform- he's got @ least 5,000 CD's - just a million classical recordings- and he's got recordings of most of the various other artists he's brought into that venue (R&B, oldies, alternative, choral, vocal, world...etc)

so- perhaps Choppaface is in a position like that--
in which case i hope he has an intern who would be willing to rip all those CD's for him- if he doesn't have someone to do it for him- if he wants to hire someone - i'm sure i'm interested...if i'm anywhere nearby

Horrortaxi
Aug 11, 2004, 09:45 AM
Easy answer: Automatically. CDDB is strong. In my 500-600 CDs it found all but 3 or 4.

jtgotsjets
Aug 11, 2004, 10:13 AM
I think the largest library in the iTunes Registry was over 50,000 tracks.

dabirdwell
Aug 11, 2004, 10:41 AM
...and about 90GB. With no problems. I have heard about someone with a 50,000 song library.

Backup is the real problem when your library (or Audio Vault, as I label it) gets huge. You can keep backing up the library file often so you never lose your catalog information, but backing up all the music gets hard after a certain point. I actually don't backup our library at all right now (scary). I have had poor luck with the DVD-r's that I bought, so I can't try the SuperDrive on our PowerBook yet.

As far as organization, I use playlists only when convenient, and usually temporarily. I leave keyword playlists in the source pane and label them with moods, instruments, etc. such as piano, guitar, intense, happy, hippie, dark,etc. I drag songs into the playlists I feel are appropriate and when I have time.

Every so often, I go into those playlists and paste the title of the playlist into the comments section of all the tracks that have acumulated in the playlist. The tags that build up give me great results from the search field. I can use party shuffle or smart playlists perfectly happily, but this gives me another level of indexing that can really hit the mark most of the time. I can type in "hippie guitar jams " and only get my hippie tunes that have extended instrumental sections with great guitar. Or I can modify one tag with another; "heavy guitar" gives much different results than "chill guitar," for example.

It takes a little while to tag like this, but it is a good way to make it an ongoing project. My fiance also drops songs into the playlists that she thinks are appropriate and slowly (but not that slowly) our library (err, Vault) is more and more accessible.

Holy rant!

Edit: We also have a good number of audiobooks and lecture/interview type material. If you collect audiobooks as well as music, your track count can increase quickly.

evil_santa
Aug 11, 2004, 11:39 AM
I have about 700 cds ripped into itunes, it took about 3 months to rip the first time & after the lacie drive died it took another 3 months to re-rip them, this time to an internal HD, I also decided to back them up to DVD, this was handy as the HD died a few months back. When i got a replacement drive it only took a few hours to load the mp3 back in. I plan to get a 250gb firewire drive to use as a backup for the mp3s, so I will have 2 levels of back up (FW & DVD).

I would recomend Backup or running your mp3 from a raid 1 set up.

Choppaface
Aug 11, 2004, 03:23 PM
so at least 50,000? sounds good :) :)

space won't be an issue, I'm thinking of putting some hitachi 7k250's in raid, either two 250s or four 160s depending on what works...

the CDs are my mom's collection that she's accumulated over about a decade

thanks everybody for your help :)

kanker
Aug 12, 2004, 01:31 AM
When I went through the agony of ripping my cd's, I'd get a stack of them and run CDDB on all of them, as iTunes will then remember the tracks/cd name, etc.... Then, when I had time, I'd sit and rip, and all the info would already be there. Kept my phone line open a little longer than it would have been if I'd done each CDDB/rip individually. Of course, now that I don't have dial up...

D0ct0rteeth
Aug 12, 2004, 01:39 AM
I just passed 25,000 without a problem.

You'll be fine

- Doc

saabmp3
Aug 12, 2004, 11:03 AM
I think when iTunes 4 came out the cap was upped from 24000 to 300 or 400k. It's really far up there and so far I havn't hear anybody hitting it.

BEN

neoelectronaut
Aug 12, 2004, 11:27 AM
The best thing to do is set iTunes to automatically import a CD when it's inserted, then it ejects it. Pop a CD in, let it do it's business, then it comes out, and you can shove another in. Hopefully you've got something else to do in the meantime.

wide
Aug 12, 2004, 11:38 AM
What if someone decided to buy every track on the iTMS? Over a million dollars?

I wonder if iTunes could handle that. I'm sure some rich dude will try it some day, and then sue Apple because he was unable to utilize his downloads via iTunes.

That would be about four terabytes ... I don't think Apple offers more than 500 GB on their computers.

fartheststar
Aug 12, 2004, 11:39 AM
i'm @ 11,000 songs- no prbms yet...
however- it would be cool if there were ways to Sort playlists- (by genre, or have playlist 'folders'?)

Just an idea but a workaround could be to name your playlists like:

Classical - Bach
Rock - Van Halen

etc.... so that the first word is a "sub sort" of it. You're right though, to be able to have sub folders for playlists would be cool.

NusuniAdmin
Aug 12, 2004, 01:14 PM
What if someone decided to buy every track on the iTMS? Over a million dollars?

I wonder if iTunes could handle that. I'm sure some rich dude will try it some day, and then sue Apple because he was unable to utilize his downloads via iTunes.

That would be about four terabytes ... I don't think Apple offers more than 500 GB on their computers.

ya but its very possible to set up a nice raid or get a few external drives