PDA

View Full Version : Ive ripped . . . how do I encode

C-Mezak
Aug 11, 2004, 02:40 AM
Hey all

I was at a friends house and he showed me a dvd of some movies he had made. I used a program called MacTheRipper to rip the entire dvd, so now I hav ea folder with the video_ts and audio_ts folders in it. How should I proceed?

This aint pirate operation, by the way. :)

Thanks
charlie

Cuckoo
Aug 11, 2004, 04:20 AM
Does it fit to a DVD-R?

Then burn it using toast......

Probably like a zilion other tools to burn it to a disk...

Nermal
Aug 11, 2004, 04:25 AM
Yep, use Toast. Make sure that you choose 'DVD-ROM (UDF)' from the Data tab. Then just drop the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories in there. Also make sure you give the DVD a name, I think this has to be all capitals with no spaces (not certain, but it's better to be safe than sorry).

Megaquad
Aug 11, 2004, 06:42 AM
Use ffmpeg to encode it to DivX.
Just search for it ("ffmpeg") on versiontracker.com.

krimson
Aug 11, 2004, 09:21 AM
Jag doesn't like DVD name that have spaces in them.. always use a _ . Those never mound on my desktop (no probs with lower case).
Panther doesn't seem to mind though, they mount fine.

saabmp3
Aug 11, 2004, 09:23 AM
You can also use mencoder to convert to a Divx file. It's very easy and fast to do.

BEN

Horrortaxi
Aug 11, 2004, 09:48 AM
Assuming the video_ts folder is small enough to fit on a DVD-R, download free software called DVD Imager which will make a .img file out of the video_ts folder. You can burn that in Disk Utility. It'll play fine in any DVD player.

Chappers
Aug 11, 2004, 09:58 AM
you can also try "handbrake" which I've found useful, and easy to use. Also found on www.versiontracker.com

pdpfilms
Aug 11, 2004, 10:16 AM
Handbrake is a great tool (I rip every DVD in my posession using it), but it's not what you're looking for. Handbrake is simply a ripper that encodes the DVD as a .mp4 or .avi file(as far as i can tell, neither are playable on a DVD player), and cannot facilitate re-burning. I'd look into toast or recompression software from macupdate.com.
good luck,
-klon

C-Mezak
Aug 11, 2004, 10:53 AM
Wow thanks for all of the help guys, I downloaded handbrake, ffmpeg, and mencoder.

But I dont think I made myself very clear. :) I did not intend to reburn these videos. I wanted to compres them and keep them on my hard drive. Handbrake seems to be doing the job.

Thanks again!
Charlie