PDA

View Full Version : Easter Eggs?

paxtonandrew
Aug 11, 2004, 04:08 AM
Hello,

Does anybody remember the easter eggs that ware found in the early versions of Mac OS? The most recent one i can remember is in early developer editions of OSX (ten) where if you went <ctrl+alt(option)+delete> a dialogue box popped up and declared "This is not windows"

Does anybody know of any others to bring back a bit of mac nostalgia!

titaniumducky
Aug 11, 2004, 08:22 AM
Hello,

Does anybody remember the easter eggs that ware found in the early versions of Mac OS? The most recent one i can remember is in early developer editions of OSX (ten) where if you went <ctrl+alt(option)+delete> a dialogue box popped up and declared "This is not windows"

Does anybody know of any others to bring back a bit of mac nostalgia!

No nostalgia involved, but holding shift and any of the expose keys will make the windows tile in slow motion.

You can also hold shift while minimizing/maximizing for slow motion.

michaelrjohnson
Aug 11, 2004, 08:50 AM
I am unaware of any Easter Eggs in OS X. I remember a bunch from the pre-OS 9 days as well... those were the times.

AmigoMac
Aug 11, 2004, 09:08 AM
I remember someone posted here that Stevie has forbidden easter eggs into the OS ... you can do a search... I'd believe that...Because

"This is not windows" :)

FriarCrazy
Aug 11, 2004, 09:20 AM
Indeed, Steve did hit Easter Eggs pretty hard with the "NO" stick. That aside, there are a few really cool features that I know of that are LIKE easter eggs, but they're documented features (Just not well known at all).

To make your desktop look REALLY cool, hit ctrl+option+apple+8. Hit it again to turn it off.

If you turn on speakable commands (or whatever its called) and tell it to "Tell me a Joke," it will. Pretty funny.

musicpyrite
Aug 11, 2004, 09:56 AM
Go to the Applications folder, open pCalc2, go to the constants in the menu, and click on "ultamate anwser."

Kudos to anyone who know what that number means.

FriarCrazy
Aug 11, 2004, 10:08 AM
Kudos to anyone who know what that number means.

I somehow don't have that program, but I think the number displayed is 42, which is of course the answer to life and the universe

KevRC4130
Aug 11, 2004, 10:11 AM
Indeed, Steve did hit Easter Eggs pretty hard with the "NO" stick. That aside, there are a few really cool features that I know of that are LIKE easter eggs, but they're documented features (Just not well known at all).

To make your desktop look REALLY cool, hit ctrl+option+apple+8. Hit it again to turn it off.

If you turn on speakable commands (or whatever its called) and tell it to "Tell me a Joke," it will. Pretty funny.

That desktop trick is REALLY cool. I can't wait to go to the Apple store and freak everyone out and make them think I broke their very expensive G5's ;)

Also, how do I do the "Tell me a Joke" thing? Where do I get into the speakable commands? I didn't even know Macs had that. It would be so cool if I could tell it to empty the trash, and it did, or open Safari, and it does.

FriarCrazy
Aug 11, 2004, 10:16 AM
System Prefs -> Speech
Under the Speech Recognition tab (Its the first one that comes up) turn Apple Speakable Items to "On"
Its pretty self explanitory from there, but you can PM me if you have trouble.

Also, an even better thing to do at the apple store is to open up the apps folder, select everything and then double click... The dock goes CRAZY! I call it the "Dock Dance," and you'll see why. I did it on a dual 1.8 at the grand opening at the Rosedale store in Minnesota and then hit expose... This photographer dude came over and he was like OMG WOW and he took a picture of all the windows.

pdpfilms
Aug 11, 2004, 10:20 AM
the number displayed is 42, which is of course the answer to life and the universe

He's right, of course. 42 translates directly into eastern istanbulian as "the answer to life and the universe". We love 42.

pdpfilms
Aug 11, 2004, 10:24 AM
ctrl+option+command+8...

I thought this was just for portables, and was deemed as "stealth mode", convenient for warchalking at night. The mode puts out only white light, looking only like a small flashlight. Also, with the image colors reversed, the common large white areas on a screen are turned to black, putting out much less overall light. Why is mac so cool? Because it allows us to get on to windows wifi networks. And stealthily too.
-klon

FriarCrazy
Aug 11, 2004, 10:32 AM
ctrl+option+command+8...

I thought this was just for portables, and was deemed as "stealth mode", convenient for warchalking at night. The mode puts out only white light, looking only like a small flashlight. Also, with the image colors reversed, the common large white areas on a screen are turned to black, putting out much less overall light. Why is mac so cool? Because it allows us to get on to windows wifi networks. And stealthily too.
-klon

I never really thought of using it that way, sweet! I always knew it as an accessability feature, "high visibilty mode."

friarbayliff
Aug 11, 2004, 10:42 AM
yeah, I use that feature a lot when my eyes are really tired. I would think that it would also be useful in a farkened classroom or meeting room where people don't want to be distracted by the beautiful, bright mac screen.

jsw
Aug 11, 2004, 10:43 AM
My favorite speakable use is with the Chess app. I suck at chess - seriously, many single-cell organisms can handily beat me at it - but I love speaking my moves out loud and seeing them on the screen. I think it makes for a cool demo. An even better one for someone who can actually play the freaking game....

Raid
Aug 11, 2004, 11:00 AM
I remember there is one if you go through the terminal... damn I can't remember it for the life of me, but I think it brings up picks of the developers.... I think you had to use the man command. Anybody know the one I'm talking about? :confused: It's a pretty minor (but classic) type of easter egg.

jtgotsjets
Aug 11, 2004, 11:29 AM
there's a psychologist built into the terminal

but i can never remember how to open it.

Hemingray
Aug 11, 2004, 11:29 AM
I never really thought of using it that way, sweet! I always knew it as an accessability feature, "high visibilty mode."

Yeah, that's not really an Easter Egg, just a keyboard shortcut for "Switch to White on Black" in the Universal Access panel of System Prefs. But no doubt about it, it is cool. :cool:

The only "egg" I've found so far is in Classic apps, when I go to a nav window, go into a network volume and select the path drop-down menu:

KevRC4130
Aug 11, 2004, 11:35 AM
I can't really get the speech thing to work. I got it to recieve 'Tell Me a Joke' 2 times, and both times, it was a knock-knock joke, so I said "whose there?" and it blew me off.... Are there any techniques to get it to understand my voice? Do I let go of ESC right after I'm done talking?

brap
Aug 11, 2004, 11:39 AM
I can't really get the speech thing to work. I got it to recieve 'Tell Me a Joke' 2 times, and both times, it was a knock-knock joke, so I said "whose there?" and it blew me off.... Are there any techniques to get it to understand my voice? Do I let go of ESC right after I'm done talking?
I did that too... sure my housemates think I've lost the plot.

ifjake
Aug 11, 2004, 11:53 AM
the terminal ones sound the most interesting to me. just the fact that you have to do some terminal weirdness to get to them is cool. (someday i will learn UNIX. today is not that day).

KevRC4130
Aug 11, 2004, 11:59 AM
Also, an even better thing to do at the apple store is to open up the apps folder, select everything and then double click... The dock goes CRAZY! I call it the "Dock Dance," and you'll see why. I did it on a dual 1.8 at the grand opening at the Rosedale store in Minnesota and then hit expose... This photographer dude came over and he was like OMG WOW and he took a picture of all the windows.

Guys, DO NOT DO THIS if you only have 256mb of ram.... I just did, my Powerbook could hardly run it was so overloaded, the fan came on, it took at least 10 minutes to get it all opened, then closed. Not only that, but it was lagging so much, I couldn't even see the icons dance :( . Stick with a rammed up G5 if you want to do this, I learned my lesson.... Happily, expose did work, and it WAS cool to see all of the files :)

ChrisFromCanada
Aug 11, 2004, 12:06 PM

That is so funny.

Hemingray
Aug 11, 2004, 12:33 PM
Guys, DO NOT DO THIS if you only have 256mb of ram.... I just did, my Powerbook could hardly run it was so overloaded, the fan came on, it took at least 10 minutes to get it all opened, then closed. Not only that, but it was lagging so much, I couldn't even see the icons dance :( . Stick with a rammed up G5 if you want to do this, I learned my lesson.... Happily, expose did work, and it WAS cool to see all of the files :)

I was bored one day and did that on my Yikes G4 400 with 1GB of RAM just for kicks. Opened every application and utility at the same time. I knew it was going to take awhile, so I went and did something else. I can't remember exactly how long it took, but I think it took the better part of an hour, and rendered my computer unusable until reboot. But the good news is, it opened them all and never crashed. :) Needless to say, I won't be doing that again...

windowsblowsass
Aug 11, 2004, 12:57 PM
try to open a meta data file in text edit

heres what u get

Richter
Aug 11, 2004, 01:18 PM
o.o that's pretty spiffy

the only one i sknow is to open up X11 and type in "xeyes" w/othe ""

Merf
Aug 11, 2004, 01:27 PM
It took me a while to remember it and some trying to figure it out. So here it is

Open terminal
type emacs
hit esc key
type xdoctor

and there you have it!

Have fun with it.

I know there is another one that lets you play tetris in terminal but I forgot it. Once I get home I will take a look I wrote it down some where.

Oh well

merf

FriarCrazy
Aug 11, 2004, 01:31 PM

Yeah, even with 1.25 gigs of ram my PB gets a little mad at me when I do that (The dock dance is more like the choppy dock earthquake.) Thats why you gotta go to the apple store and do it on a nice dual 2.5 with a 30" cinema display... *drool*

Santiago
Aug 11, 2004, 02:24 PM
Back in the day, we had real Easter Eggs, like this one:

MacPaint 2.0

Hold down Tab-Space while choosing About MacPaint from the Apple menu to display a painting of a nude zebra-striped woman. The painting is by well-known erotic artist Olivia de Berardinis and was inserted in the code by programmer David Ramsey. When Claris received complaints about this Easter egg, it was quickly removed, so only very early copies contain this image.

My copy contains, this, and it still works under Mac OS X 10.3.5. Now that's what I call backwards compatibility.

jsw
Aug 11, 2004, 02:32 PM
My copy contains, this, and it still works under Mac OS X 10.3.5. Now that's what I call backwards compatibility.
This one (http://www.thepinupfiles.com/images/odb60.jpg)?
Minor warning - it's perhaps maybe a wee bit offensive to very easily offended people, but I consider it to be quite tame - it's a painting, and nothing is "showing" anyway.

Thirteenva
Aug 11, 2004, 03:10 PM

heres what u get

What is the file extension of a meta data file. I want to recreate this at work, one of my coworkers will love this.

Richter
Aug 11, 2004, 03:18 PM
Open terminal
type emacs
hit esc key
type xdoctor

and there you have it!

Have fun with it.;_; doesnt do anything, just gives me a error 'beep'

iLikeMyiMac
Aug 11, 2004, 03:41 PM
;_; doesnt do anything, just gives me a error 'beep'
Really? cause I get a psychotherpist.

Hemingray
Aug 11, 2004, 04:02 PM
"What happened when did me first know that do you say that that I came to you?"

WTF?! :eek: ...:::reads again::: ...WTF?!?!

Now I know where some of the people who post here learn their English. :D :p

neoelectronaut
Aug 11, 2004, 04:03 PM

heres what u get

...you're full of it.

Right? :confused:

Thirteenva
Aug 12, 2004, 09:27 AM
Anyone else able to duplicate the 'meta data' easter egg above? Is it real?

Aaon
Aug 12, 2004, 09:44 AM
If you want to kill some time, you can open the terminal and type "fortune"

Each time you run fortune a different quote will be displayed. Maybe not a secret, but it has kept me entertained for hours.... :p

jsw
Aug 12, 2004, 09:46 AM
Here's a little one, thanks to MacAddict:

To change your Dock minimizing to the hidden "Suck" method, open up Terminal and type in:defaults write com.apple.Dock mineffect suck

Hit 'return', log out, log back on, and, voilá, new minimizing. Looks a lot like Genie, but not exactly.

iLikeMyiMac
Aug 12, 2004, 11:15 AM
Here's a little one, thanks to MacAddict:

To change your Dock minimizing to the hidden "Suck" method, open up Terminal and type in:defaults write com.apple.Dock mineffect suck

Hit 'return', log out, log back on, and, voilá, new minimizing. Looks a lot like Genie, but not exactly.
Is the "Suck" method similar to the "Scale" effect found in the dock preferencecs?

jsw
Aug 12, 2004, 11:24 AM
Is the "Suck" method similar to the "Scale" effect found in the dock preferencecs?No, it's more like Genie. Genie sort of sucks from the middle, "Suck" sucks from a window corner. Same effect, really.

FriarCrazy
Aug 12, 2004, 11:33 AM
Ok, "Suck" is hyper cool especially when you hold shift (looks better then Genie when you hold shift.)

Mord
Aug 12, 2004, 12:07 PM

heres what u get

can you post a meta data file please as i dont have any to try and open

Thirteenva
Aug 12, 2004, 12:07 PM
can you post a meta data file please as i dont have any to try and open

Same here.

russed
Aug 12, 2004, 01:07 PM
If you want to kill some time, you can open the terminal and type "fortune"

Each time you run fortune a different quote will be displayed. Maybe not a secret, but it has kept me entertained for hours.... :p

mine doesnt work! :(

Aaon
Aug 12, 2004, 01:11 PM
Ok, so apparently the "fortune" app I am speaking of was installed on my mac by its previous owner. However, it is an application bundled with most versions of *NIX. You can read more about this really simple timewaster, and see the mac version here: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8824

Aaron

Whigga Spitta
Aug 12, 2004, 02:36 PM
I was reading this thread yesterday and I came across the ctrl-option-apple-8 trick, and was itching for someone to do it to. As luck would have it, I took a trip to the Apple store yesterday afternoon with a friend, and I was able to get EVERY COMPUTER IN THE STORE in white on black mode. Then I slyly (sp?) asked one of the sales persons if the new 23" displays are only capable of displaying grayscale. She responded, "No, the image up there is just to display the amazing power of our new displays." Ha ha ha, amazing grayscale power? I'm hardly impressed....

superbovine
Aug 12, 2004, 02:40 PM
To supply the use goverment with Software it cannot contained any undocumented features. so the easter eggs in the sense of "hidden" features doesn't really exist. however i have heard rumors that is undocumented features in the API that are not published. Considering the US Army contractor is building an Apple cluster though, i am pretty sure OS X meets the no easter requirments.

phreakout13
Aug 12, 2004, 09:18 PM
I read this in Mac World. Go into terminal and type cat /usr/share/calendar/calendar.history | grep "LOTR"

rhizome
Aug 30, 2004, 06:31 AM
I know there is another one that lets you play tetris in terminal but I forgot it. Once I get home I will take a look I wrote it down some where.

Oh well

merf

hey

just joined the forum now, so i hope i'm posting this right.

i have a bunch of game easter egges for terminal, i got from macformat feb 2004.

the tetris egg is:
enter 'emacs'
hit Return, then [esc], followed by [X]
finally, type 'tetris'

there's snake, and a text-based adventure game, and stuff too, if anyone wants them.
ciarán

iMeowbot
Aug 30, 2004, 07:06 AM
Really? cause I get a psychotherpist.
emacs is full of garbage like that.

M-x yow for a Zippy quote in the status area.

M-x psychoanalyze-pinhead gets you a conversation between Eliza and Zippy.

M-x holidays shows what's up for this month

M-x spook provides text designed to annoy government wiretappers.

M-x life does the simulation thing.

M-x dungeon gives you a little adventure game

M-x hanoi plays the ring puzzle

M-x gomoku is another game

...and many more.

thejazzman10
Aug 30, 2004, 07:33 AM
It took me a while to remember it and some trying to figure it out. So here it is

Open terminal
type emacs
hit esc key
type xdoctor

and there you have it!

Have fun with it.

Oh well

merf

also, type: ls /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/play
and you will get a list of games to play (go to emacs, press ESC+x and type a game) put 21.1 if you have jag.

5300cs
Aug 30, 2004, 07:44 AM

Sorry, how did you get MacPaint to run? I can't get it to work properly...