Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Holmes89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a lot of music that I currently have in iTunes on my Mac. I recently purchased a netbook for when I go down on campus to do work (because of the better battery life and my campus for some reason has a problem with outlets...) so I wanted to convert all of my music into a lower quality mp3 format for my netbook (so to save space) without changing my iTunes music on my mac. Any ideas of a good converter that can convert a mix of aac and mp3 files to a single quality mp3?

or... do you think I should just use my iPod or a service like Lala. Your opinion matters haha.

Thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have a lot of music that I currently have in iTunes on my Mac. I recently purchased a netbook for when I go down on campus to do work (because of the better battery life and my campus for some reason has a problem with outlets...) so I wanted to convert all of my music into a lower quality mp3 format for my netbook (so to save space) without changing my iTunes music on my mac. Any ideas of a good converter that can convert a mix of aac and mp3 files to a single quality mp3?

or... do you think I should just use my iPod or a service like Lala. Your opinion matters haha.

Thanks!

iTunes itself can do the conversion. Set the format you want in preferences then select the tunes you want to convert and right clck the selection. Later you will have two copies of all sected tunes. Sort these by "time". Export the newly created files then delete them.

Holmes89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
iTunes itself can do the conversion. Set the format you want in preferences then select the tunes you want to convert and right clck the selection. Later you will have two copies of all sected tunes. Sort these by "time". Export the newly created files then delete them.

Yeah, but the problem is it kicks out as soon as it hits a protected file and I can't remember which ones I updated in iTunes and which ones I didn't feel like spending the extra cash to make them DRM free.

woodlandtrek

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
You probably worked this out already, but if not, here is an option:

In the "Kind" column in iTunes (when viewing your music in List view), the encrypted ones are listed as "Protected AAC audio file" while the unencrypted ones are "Purchased AAC audio file" or just "AAC audio file". You can sort by this column to distinguish which is which.

You can also use the "Kind" field to create a smart playlist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.