Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hey guys, I got another question:

Can I change the screen hertz on my Macbook White?

It's because I play CS:S, and the refresh rate is too slow - When I kill someone, it takes a bit time to see that he got killed. Also when I run, the earth shakes, like I got 10-20 FPS.

Thank you. :)

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The refresh rate has nothing to do with the frames per second you get out of a game. The fps is dependent on your graphics card, as that is the one building/rendering the images.

And the refresh rate of your MacBook's monitor is more around 60Hz, which is more than 20fps.

Maybe you have to lower some settings on the game to get better frame rates.

What MacBook with what graphics card do you have?

munity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
The refresh rate has nothing to do with the frames per second you get out of a game. The fps is dependent on your graphics card, as that is the one building/rendering the images.

And the refresh rate of your MacBook's monitor is more around 60Hz, which is more than 20fps.

Maybe you have to lower some settings on the game to get better frame rates.

What MacBook with what graphics card do you have?

It's a Macbook White with a 9400M.

I play with low settings, and still got low fps (60-70 fps).

It's just annoying, I just want more refresh time so it don't apply the changes so late. :/

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
So my Mac can't display more than 60 fps, even if it is running higher?

Anyway, 60-70 is not low, the eye can't see more than 60, so it's the highest you need. And secondly, your Macbook is not for games. 30 fps is enough, 60 fps is better. So between 30-60 is enough for any game.

munity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
So my Mac can't display more than 60 fps, even if it is running higher?

Anyway, 60-70 is not low, the eye can't see more than 60, so it's the highest you need. And secondly, your Macbook is not for games. 30 fps is enough, 60 fps is better. So between 30-60 is enough for any game.

Im lagging, that is annoying.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Lag means latency, not FPS. And it's not the hertz fault, it is 60 hz so it can run at 60 FPS. You say it takes a bit of time to see him get killed? Sounds like online lag to me, unless it just freezes for a few seconds then unfreezes?

munity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Lag means latency, not FPS. And it's not the hertz fault, it is 60 hz so it can run at 60 FPS. You say it takes a bit of time to see him get killed? Sounds like online lag to me, unless it just freezes for a few seconds then unfreezes?

It could be, but it's not server lagg - I guaranty that!

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
You didn't answer how it takes a while for them to die. If you shoot them and they die, but their body doesn't do a death animation for a bit after, then that would be you/them lagging. What does it do?

munity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
You didn't answer how it takes a while for them to die. If you shoot them and they die, but their body doesn't do a death animation for a bit after, then that would be you/them lagging. What does it do?

It takes like 10 seconds for them to "die/fall"- but I also played against bots, and that was the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.