Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bellboy

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2002
Toronto
"There definitely are increased anti-theft precautions in Jaguar, but they lay the ground work for future version more than anything else."

does anyone know what the "anti-theft precautions" are in Jaguar?

jt23

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2002
sounds about right

can't blame them for that, i don't suppose. i know that a lot of mac folks assume the high road and make comments about how PCers so often "borrow" copies of various software titles. the inplication has always been that Mac users would never do such a dastardly thing.

well my experience (and apparently apple's as well) has been considerably different.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Re: SN ?

Originally posted by Moonlight
Serial numbers won't help...can't they just pirate the sn's too ?

Hahaha....yeah...that's true....I hope they don't implement that same thing Microsoft did with XP where you need to buy one copy per computer. What do you do if you got two machines?

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Is anyone REALLY surprised?

I'll bet they do whatever it is they have done to Final Cut Pro. As of FCP 3.0, CD-R copies and disk images of the original CD's do not work. I'll bet they implement the same thing on 10.2 and beyond. Also, a "key" that you have to type in is not, nessesarily a bad thing, but I hope they don't move to the "you have to register with us" horror that Win XP was supposed to have (or does have).

As an answer to the above question - Yes, you are supposed to buy a copy of OS X for each Mac you run it on, don't you? This is true for most (if not all) commercial software. (Gotta read those EULA's) And it makes total sense too, using the logic that one copy can go on multiple machines, why would a company or school buy licenses for 100 Mac's when they could just install the same one over and over. Installing a single lincense of OS X on more than one machine is no better than burning a copy at your friend's house or pulling it off HL or the like. If only one machine is every booted up, then you have an arguement for it to be okay, but not if you're running it concurently on your PowerMac and on your Powerbook and on the downstairs iMac and on the... well, you get the idea.

BTW, At the FCP 3 roadshow, when this came up, a bunch of people said they thought it was akay to install one copy on multiple machines, as long as they were only using it on one machine at a time. (ie. A PowerBook & a PowerMac) The presenter had to say that Apple's stand on it was for one copy per install. (Although he sounded like a recording when he said it and I'd bet he'd agree with anyone who used it as such.)

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
One OS X on Multi machines

As an adendum to my prior post - one easy way they could implement a check for this would be like what Adobe does. It polls the local network looking for other copies of itself with the same serial number. (Not sure how site license serial numbers are handled) and will refuse to work if multiple copies are running.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
SpyMac? Give me a break!

Why does anyone still read that site? The only site with more made-up crap is MOSR. At this point, if Spymac says something, it is proof to me that it will never happen. :D

edit: spelling

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Remember the old days where an angry employee would call the IRS so they can provide an interesting experience for the employer.

Now it's a call to the Software Piracy Group that provides the more stringent proctology visits, and the fines are just insane for not complying with licenses in the workplace.

BillGates

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2002
Minnesota
Piracy sucks!

Apple should utilize the embedded computer serial number tied to a supplied OS serial number to generate and activation key that only works on the one system. This adds over head but at least requires the pirate to hack the OS to get it to run rather than simply grabbing a serial number of some list on the internet. I've seen other unix systems like Sun use this method.

Its funny how the honest people are always paying extra to cover the cost of piracy. Ohhh well, thats life.

meddle

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Free Jaguar?

Seems like spy mac might be making this one up also. I'm going to buy 10.2 but have been tring to find it online. Granted I haven't looked very hard but the only release I can find is a bad. A broken .dmg. As a developer I would love to install this and play around with it before it comes out. Just don't want to $700 for a month of use. $120 well that's ok. Sort of.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Question of ethics

Considering home computers only, has anyone ever purchased multiple copies of the same program for two or more computers? (Unless the software physically does not allow this, ie Spectre (old network game))

I think the results will be interesting.

awrootbeer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Re: Free Jaguar?

Originally posted by meddle
Seems like spy mac might be making this one up also. I'm going to buy 10.2 but have been tring to find it online. Granted I haven't looked very hard but the only release I can find is a bad. A broken .dmg. As a developer I would love to install this and play around with it before it comes out. Just don't want to $700 for a month of use. $120 well that's ok. Sort of.

Sorry, you either aren't looking hard enough or have no idea where to look. Jag builds are Extremely easy to come by, and I know many many non developers who have them.

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
Re: Piracy sucks!

Originally posted by BillGates
Apple should utilize the embedded computer serial number tied to a supplied OS serial number to generate and activation key that only works on the one system. This adds over head but at least requires the pirate to hack the OS to get it to run rather than simply grabbing a serial number of some list on the internet. I've seen other unix systems like Sun use this method.

Its funny how the honest people are always paying extra to cover the cost of piracy. Ohhh well, thats life.

If i'm not mistaken, microsoft did something like this with xp and a friend of mine got around it by pirating the corporate edition, i think, which only requires the serial when installing. I'm not sure if this is how it works or if apple even has something like a corporate edition of OS X. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: BAD

Originally posted by Sublime
I dont like it. Serial numbers suck.

Especially if you loose the number.

IF Apple does go to serial numbers, I really hope that they make the installer cd's independant of the numbers.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
It's a sad day when Apple has to do that. I remember the days when even software pirates ridiculed people who copied Mac OS 8 because it would hurt Apple's financial situation.

Not surprisingly, Apple later released a PR stating that sales for Mac OS 8 were their best ever and stuff.

Sublime

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2002
LBC
Re: Re: BAD

Originally posted by AlphaTech

Especially if you loose the number.

IF Apple does go to serial numbers, I really hope that they make the installer cd's independant of the numbers.

Heh, I have an unusable copy of Starcraft cuz I tossed the jewel case(or whatever the key was on.) Man, I can only keep track of so much.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by dricci
Yeah, we can see how well Microsoft's anti-piracy measures work.

LMAO!!!! Yeah, it really works... :eek: :D

Windblows has to be one of the most often pirated operating systems out there. :D

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
I think I understand why Apple would take a route such as this.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but Apple is no longer a hardware company. Their margins are less and less (look at the 17" iMac), and are more dependent on the software that they sell.

At the very least, increased security measures would mean some extra money that Apple can use to keep their stock price up.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
The last time I bought a software was in 1992.

The problem with the softwares are the price. I could buy Photoshop for $90, not for $700 (I guess that is the price). Softwares are way too expensive. If I count the ammount of softwares that I use I would have to pay more than $30.000!!! forget about it, may be in the US you can make that ammount of money but not in the rest of the world, that is about 3 years of salary for me.

Pin-Fisher

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2002
Marlton NJ
Originally posted by mymemory
The last time I bought a software was in 1992.

The problem with the softwares are the price. I could buy Photoshop for $90, not for $700 (I guess that is the price). Softwares are way too expensive. If I count the ammount of softwares that I use I would have to pay more than $30.000!!! forget about it, may be in the US you can make that ammount of money but not in the rest of the world, that is about 3 years of salary for me.

You sir are truly a moron. .....

I hope you write some software one day and they priate the hell
out of it and the three years of your life you spent developing it
become a total waste...

(BTW Software is both singular and plural in english you pirate
scum)

Attachments

• packing-office.jpg
    packing-office.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 4,137
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.