PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer BRD-205 in 2009 Quad MP=X

davidlv
Dec 24, 2009, 05:46 PM
Just installed a Pioneer BRD-205 drive in a 2009 Quad MP 2.66 with 8GB running the latest Snow Leopard system 10.6.2, and while this combo Blue Ray/DVD drive was recognized initially, with a "generic DVD driver" according to System Profiler, it soon disappeared. Now the computer does not see the drive at all. The drive is installed as the second drive under the stock DVD drive.
Any ideas on what is going on here?:(:apple::(

brand
Dec 26, 2009, 01:57 PM
Have you reseated the SATA and power cables? Is the Blu-Ray drive able to be recognized in any other computers?

davidlv
Dec 26, 2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have not gotten around to opening up the machine again, pretty busy here at the end of the year. But I too thought of that and I will try it. There is an article on xlr8your mac.com on this issue. Some people have said it is related to the sleep function, and suggest setting the Energy Saving preferences to never sleep the computer automatically and not to sleep the HD (choosing Sleep from the Apple menu is said to be OK). I can't understand why the drive was recognized for a while, then it disappeared completely. MackThe Ripper saw the drive with one of my DVD disks, but not with another DVD, another odd event. Even a cold restart does not show the drive now. When the drive was recognized, it showed up in System Profiler not as apple supported, but as "Generic DVD support". I don't have access to another SATA optical drive equipped computer, so I haven't been able to test the drive that way. My G5 tower uses IDE drives in the optical drive bay.
So, a system update may resolve the issue in the future. The drive is ahead of its time, as it can write Blue Ray disks at 12X, but at present the fastest disks available are only rated at 6X, so the driver support team at Apple obviously haven't had time to work it into the system.
I'll post the results of restting the cables, actually thinking of putting the drive in as the top drive or perhaps as the only optical drive, and see if that works. However, as this is SATA, that shouldn't really make any difference, should it?
umm... technical stuff is not my forte!
:confused::apple::confused: