PDA

View Full Version : SQL Error on MacRumors

wrldwzrd89
Aug 11, 2004, 05:49 PM
I'm getting this error when I try to access MacRumors:
Warning: mysql_connect(): Host '192.168.1.4' is blocked because of many connection errors. Unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts' in /home/macrumor/public_html/csspvt/cssdbinit.inc on line 8
Unable to connect to database

mlw1235
Aug 11, 2004, 06:24 PM
same here :confused:

telecomm
Aug 11, 2004, 06:30 PM
Wow, this has been happening a lot lately.

thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=83242)

Sun Baked
Aug 11, 2004, 09:24 PM
Yep, look's like we may have to prepare for another extended downtime day as arn does some extended cleanup.

jsw
Aug 11, 2004, 09:25 PM
I'd though I'd read that www.macrumors.com and forums.macrumors.com were hosted by different machines, yet both seem to be going down almost in sync nowadays. Are they on the same server, or different ones?

Littleodie914
Aug 11, 2004, 09:37 PM
I'm having this problem too, but only when accessing Macrumors.com... The forum is working just fine. I also get the same thing when attempting to access macbytes.com links... (even the ones that don't link to macrumors)

Converted2Truth
Aug 11, 2004, 10:08 PM
They should use XServes to host this stuff. Then we wouldn't have these issues... maybe...

lazymuoio
Aug 11, 2004, 10:58 PM
im getting the same message when i try to connect to macrumors but any of the other parts , forums and stuff works

i also cannot acsess macbytes

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 11, 2004, 11:04 PM
Having issues today, myself.

Elan0204
Aug 11, 2004, 11:13 PM
Yeah the forum is working for me right now, but the main page won't load. I get the same error as wrldwzrd89.

Warning: mysql_connect(): Host '192.168.1.4' is blocked because of many connection errors. Unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts' in /home/macrumor/public_html/csspvt/cssdbinit.inc on line 8
Unable to connect to database

I actually got this same error a few days ago too.

edesignuk
Aug 11, 2004, 11:15 PM
They should use XServes to host this stuff. Then we wouldn't have these issues... maybe...Wouldn't make a blind bit of difference :rolleyes:

kjwebb
Aug 11, 2004, 11:29 PM
Wouldn't make a blind bit of difference :rolleyes:

True. It looks like the PHP scripting they are using is not flushing old users or is not managing the SQL correctly, or something like that.

friarbayliff
Aug 12, 2004, 12:46 AM
Yeah, it is kind of a dumb problem. The error message seems to come up at seemingly random times of the day - gets really annoying.

edesignuk
Aug 12, 2004, 12:53 AM
Maybe it's time to trim MR of all it's non-active members...

Doctor Q
Aug 12, 2004, 01:29 AM
Maybe it's time to trim MR of all it's non-active members...I suspect that's not the problem. Now if we trimmed MR of all active members, that would definitely help performance!

angelneo
Aug 12, 2004, 02:22 AM
Guess its time for MR to upgrade to oracle and start charging each member $10 per month....just joking.

edesignuk
Aug 12, 2004, 02:27 AM
I suspect that's not the problem. Now if we trimmed MR of all active members, that would definitely help performance!It would help tidy things up a fair bit though wouldn't it?

wrldwzrd89
Aug 12, 2004, 04:11 AM
EDIT: Scratch that - it's back again. It was gone yesterday, but it appears to have come back.

Nermal
Aug 12, 2004, 05:27 AM
As of right now, it's not working. And I agree with edesign, it'd be great to trim out all those non-users. I mean, come on, we have 11028 members with a post count of zero :eek:

kettle
Aug 12, 2004, 05:40 AM
It was like it at 07:30 this morning (BST uk)

People in the so say know on IRC don't seem to give a monkey's about it either.

Where is Arn lately?

Knox
Aug 12, 2004, 05:41 AM
If the number of users was a problem the forums would die as well as the main site. The number of registered users doesn't affect vbulletin much, within reason obviously. Without knowing the setup exactly (ie what 192.168.1.4 is) it's difficult to say, but my first suspicion would be the connection between the web server and the db server.

angelneo
Aug 12, 2004, 05:44 AM
As of right now, it's not working. And I agree with edesign, it'd be great to trim out all those non-users. I mean, come on, we have 11028 members with a post count of zero :eek:

I agreed with Doctor Q that the inactive members are not really the problem. I'm guessing the site is overloaded with too many site visitors and causes too many connections for MySQL to handle. Most probably they could do some form of load balancing.

Nermal
Aug 12, 2004, 06:03 AM
I mean I agree in the sense that it'll be good to clean up. I know that it won't help with the database problem.

kettle
Aug 12, 2004, 06:10 AM
wow, someone found a finger and pulled it out. :rolleyes:

MemphisSoulStew
Aug 12, 2004, 11:47 AM
It still happens in Safari (but not IE) if I click on a Forum link from the MR front page then click the back button. Clicking Refresh will load the page though.

janey
Aug 12, 2004, 01:00 PM
Wouldn't make a blind bit of difference :rolleyes:
i second that...this is a mysql problem (which could be fixed somewhat if max_connect_errors was set higher in the startup prefs of mysqld or whatever), has nothing to do with the hardware or software of the servers.
mysql is platform independent, but why host it on pricey xserves when cheap computers running a few things, ie apache, is all you need?

MacFan26
Aug 13, 2004, 01:36 AM
Now if we trimmed MR of all active members, that would definitely help performance!
I remember discussion of this a while ago, I was wondering if that would ever happen. Sounds like a good idea. A lot of those people probably still read Macrumors, but just don't post. In that case, why do they need a screen name? Anyway, about the error, would purging non-posters really help with that?
edit: nevermind, I just read the posts about it not helping that much :rolleyes:

NusuniAdmin
Aug 14, 2004, 08:08 PM
its back again......grrrr!

angelneo
Aug 15, 2004, 11:33 AM
i second that...this is a mysql problem (which could be fixed somewhat if max_connect_errors was set higher in the startup prefs of mysqld or whatever), has nothing to do with the hardware or software of the servers.
mysql is platform independent, but why host it on pricey xserves when cheap computers running a few things, ie apache, is all you need?

MySQL do have a max_connection setting to raise the max connections but I doubt this is the problem as the administrator would have probably tried this out before.

Quoted from MySQL documentation:

The maximum number of connections MySQL can support depends on the quality of the thread library on a given platform. Linux or Solaris should be able to support 500-1000 simultaneous connections, depending on how much RAM you have and what your clients are doing. Static Linux binaries provided by MySQL AB can support up to 4000 connections

So this might end up being a hardware or platform problem.

arn
Aug 17, 2004, 11:20 PM
I think the problem has been fixed.

arn

NusuniAdmin
Aug 17, 2004, 11:35 PM
I think the problem has been fixed.

arn

HOPE it has :p