Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mom4791

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
I have been a lurker on MacRumors for about 6 months or so, but I haven't ever really posted.

I recently dropped my MB off a 5 foot loft and shattered the screen and broke the hinge. I have seen a lot of replacement services for the screen or hinge individually, but I am wondering if there is anywhere I could send it to replace basically the entire top clamshell and hinge. I already purchased a new 15" MBP so I don't necessarily need the old MB for anything but I figured if I could get it fixed for under 300-400 dollars it would be worth it to have as a second computer or maybe to sell it. Would this at all be possible considering the price range, and does anyone have any recommendations on where this could be taken care of?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
It might be easier just to find a broken MacBook of the same generation on eBay that has a functional screen and intact lid and pay somebody a little cash to swap the parts. On with a blown logic board would be a good bet, again, so long as the seller can assure you the screen was functional when the computer died.

I'd imagine it'll be far cheaper than paying a computer repair shop to purchase new apple parts. For pricing on new/used certified parts you can go over to http://www.ifixit.com and check out the parts section for your generation of MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.