Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I bought an iPod Hi-Fi from a guy on ebay. It was in really good condition, original packaging and everything.

EXCEPT, it has a bit dent in speaker, when you take off the cover. And Apple advertised it with the cover off a lot, which is why I want to take it off sometimes, and for collectible reasons.

I'm attaching picture.

Does anyone know if it can be opened up and pushed back out?

If not, anyone know if Apple would fix it even if it was a bunch of money?

Thanks for any advice. Really ticks me off since I paid $350 for it.

Attachments

• speaker broken copy.jpg
    speaker broken copy.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 671

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Thanks. I tried it. It took part of it out in the middle, but I guess they had pushed so hard or multiple times that, the outside edges are still caved in, and nothing pops it out.

The seller won't even respond. What a joke.

It was a neat trick to try with the vacuum. Too bad it was too far gone in this case. :(

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Thanks. I tried it. It took part of it out in the middle, but I guess they had pushed so hard or multiple times that, the outside edges are still caved in, and nothing pops it out.

The seller won't even respond. What a joke.

It was a neat trick to try with the vacuum. Too bad it was too far gone in this case. :(

Bummer :( Maybe you could try a little gentle heat from a hairdryer before the vacuum. See if that softens the plastic up enough that it pops back?

I like Galley's bubblegum idea. Neat.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
some double sided duct tape? you could attach it and put your finger through the loop created by the tape when you double side it

or somthing sticky.

I am sorry if that made no sense

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
A long long time ago when I was in college, I worked at Radio Shack. One of the customers had pushed in a dust cap on a speaker with a 12" woofer. to pop it back out, we popped in a CD that had incredibly low bass on it and cranked the bass on the amp as high as it would go. We started the volume low, and started to increase little by little. Once the woofer really got moving, the dust cap popped right back out again.

So put on your favorite music with deep bass, and crank it!

The other thing you can try is to order a new woofer from Apple, but I bet they'll charge a mint for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.