Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilevisual

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
other than the serial number on the back of the MBA, is there another physical location inside the MBA I can find to prove its specs?

I purchased a used MBA and the SSD is wiped clean and the serial number on the back is not visible. Seller claimed 2.13 SSD, but I have no way to find out. Any suggestion??

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Click the apple in the top left, click About This Mac, click More Info..., and read there.

mobilevisual

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
SSD is wiped clean. Window 7 is installed. So no trace of serial electronically--Not that I know of. I'm hoping Apple "hides" a set of physical serial INSIDE the MBA. Any other suggestions?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
So the etching on the bottom case of the MBA has been scratched away?

If so, the only other method is the previously posted method using OS-X.

On the off chance the bottom case had been replaced [by Apple], the original serial number should have been written on the inside (you'd have to remove the bottom case to check). There's no other physical labeling that I'm aware of.

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
+1 If OS X isn't installed either that would set alarm bells ringing. Why would someone sell a Mac without OS X installed?

I would not consider it to be alarming for someone to sell an MBA without OSX installed. When I got my MBA, my full intention was to wipe OSX and intall Win7 and not have OSX at all. BUt once I played with OSX, I decided to keep it. The serial number being removed is much more alarming.

Is there no software that can be installed in windows that will read the SN? Maybe a diagnostic type software?

AndyMulhearn

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
other than the serial number on the back of the MBA, is there another physical location inside the MBA I can find to prove its specs?

I purchased a used MBA and the SSD is wiped clean and the serial number on the back is not visible. Seller claimed 2.13 SSD, but I have no way to find out. Any suggestion??

I think you need to install OSX. If you put the serial number into here - http://support.apple.com/specs/ - and it will tell you the spec of the machine but it includes the options for cpu and disk as either options, not as a definitive list.

Unless anyone else has a different option?

Gadgetman99

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
I think you need to install OSX. If you put the serial number into here - http://support.apple.com/specs/ - and it will tell you the spec of the machine but it includes the options for cpu and disk as either options, not as a definitive list.

Unless anyone else has a different option?

If he only wants the CPU and HD info, he can go to control panel/system to see the specs. Also going into device manager will show all the details (in windows).

AndyMulhearn

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
If he only wants the CPU and HD info, he can go to control panel/system to see the specs. Also going into device manager will show all the details (in windows).

Which is true, but if you look at the original message he said that the SSD had been wiped clean...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Which is true, but if you look at the original message he said that the SSD had been wiped clean...

This thread is kind of pointless until the OP doesn't come back, but the OP said the SSD was wiped and Win7 was installed. One can check the SSD stats and the CPU frequency in Win7, and for that matter the GPU, which will pretty much identify which model it is.

I too would be most concerned it's stolen, however.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Here are the two places it should be. The 2nd one is only if its been services and they wrote the SN on the back.

Do you have the install or restore disk? Maybe a retail 10.6 install disc? Boot from the disk via USB DVD drive or Remote Disk.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 64

mobilevisual

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
thanks for the replies. I decided to send back the MBA to seller. The whole thing looks suspicious. without a serial number I would run the risk of Apple deny to service the machine; with fragile hinge and a ton of customized parts, the risk outweighs the rewards.

Can't wait for the next revision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.