PDA

View Full Version : backup DVDs no longer read

gold_viva
Aug 12, 2004, 09:08 AM
One particular batch of my backup DVDs no longer read. They were written on a dual 800 with it's original built in superdrive. This superdrive broke a few months ago and was replaced. Now none of them will read in that mac or my other mac (dual 1.4). It just spits them out. I have no other read/write DVD problems and the batch in question has worked OK many times in the past.

Anyone know if there is an issue with older superdrives or if there is a way to bring them back to life?

LethalWolfe
Aug 12, 2004, 10:56 AM
What brand of DVD's did you use? If an entire "batch" won't work it might be bad media.

-Lethal

gold_viva
Aug 12, 2004, 11:56 AM
I'm fairly certain it isn't the media - some DVDs still work (written on my other mac) and all the dates on the dud ones match the period up until the superdrive broke. The problem ones used to read on the old drive.

seamuskrat
Aug 12, 2004, 12:31 PM
I had the same problem. Apparently the laser on my superdrive went bad, and it THOUGHT it burned them just fine. When I went to play them, I found they were actually blank.
So, in my case, Toast burned and verified fine saying all was good, and in reality it went through the motions but no laser touched the disks. As I thought I had 6 coaster, yet they were in fact blank disks.

See if yours are blank or not.

One particular batch of my backup DVDs no longer read. They were written on a dual 800 with it's original built in superdrive. This superdrive broke a few months ago and was replaced. Now none of them will read in that mac or my other mac (dual 1.4). It just spits them out. I have no other read/write DVD problems and the batch in question has worked OK many times in the past.

Anyone know if there is an issue with older superdrives or if there is a way to bring them back to life?

gold_viva
Aug 13, 2004, 04:06 AM
They are definitely not blank - they used to read OK on the old superdrive. Also I tried some on an emac (read only DVD) and a couple actually mounted and I managed to retrieve a few files. It seems it isn't an absolute problem which is why I wonder if another old drive might read them??