PDA

View Full Version : want to listen to a movie's commentary track on iPod

MoiveLover
Dec 27, 2009, 04:54 PM
Hi,

I've seen a few people looking for help on this issue in the last few weeks, but nobody seems to have any answers. I thought I try here as I too would like a solution.

I have Leopard 10.5, the latest version of Handbrake and Subler and a 4th Generation iPod.

I encoded a movie with both the main dialogue audio and a director's commentary. I am able to switch audio tracks in iTunes.

I assumed that I could do the same using an iPod's ALTERNATE AUDIO option, but when I play the video on an iPod (tried on a few) there is only one track that will play in both the default and ALTERNATE AUDIO modes.

I've been looking for a solution for ages and I thought simply renaming or changing the "language" (just renaming0 it as unknown) in Subler would work. No joy.

Has anybody here ever managed to get two audio tracks working on an iPod?

Thanks for reading.

TwinCities Dan
Dec 27, 2009, 05:03 PM
I've done it but it was two different encodes. Not a slick as you're talking about, but it worked.

MoiveLover
Dec 27, 2009, 05:08 PM
I've done it but it was two different encodes. Not a slick as you're talking about, but it worked.

do you mean two different videos?

TwinCities Dan
Dec 27, 2009, 05:13 PM
do you mean two different videos?

Yes.

MoiveLover
Dec 27, 2009, 05:14 PM
Yes.

Thanks. But there must be a solution.

IronWaffle
Dec 29, 2009, 06:54 AM
I'm interested in this also. In a few cases I've just used Handbrake by limiting the filesize and, knowing I wouldn't watch but mainly listen, encoded the video at low bitrates. It sitll makes a huge file, though, and is an ugly workaround.

On a sidenote, there are some fan commentaries available in the podcast section of iTunes. The one that I've found is occasionally great is "Down in Front". The participants are in the film industry and have some interesting technical insights. I've found "Alien" and "Watchmen" to be particularly interesting. Just avoid the "Dark City" ... trust me.

Unfortunately, other fan commentaries I've tried have been more miss than hit and all are limited to mainstream or genre fare.