PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or does UK iTMS suck right now?

caveman_uk
Aug 12, 2004, 01:06 PM
I've been trying for ages to get into the damn store and all I'm getting is that stupid 'you need to update itunes' message (I don't by the way). Usually searching gets round this but I can only search the US store - but of course it won't let me buy anything. I can't find a way of getting to anywhere on the UK store. Is the euro iTMS on bloody dial up or something?

Can anyone else get into the UK store?

It's about 7pm at time of writing and it was like this last night as well!

Gee
Aug 12, 2004, 02:08 PM
I've been trying for ages to get into the damn store and all I'm getting is that stupid 'you need to update itunes' message (I don't by the way). Usually searching gets round this but I can only search the US store - but of course it won't let me buy anything. I can't find a way of getting to anywhere on the UK store. Is the euro iTMS on bloody dial up or something?

It's about 7pm at time of writing and it was like this last night as well!

Are you sure you're running the right version? 4.6? I can get in, and it's fine, but a friend who just bought a powerbook yesterday got that message with 4.5...

edesignuk
Aug 12, 2004, 02:10 PM
Yup, I'm in, no problems here.

satty
Aug 12, 2004, 02:47 PM

Yes, no problem.
Do you have version 4.6?
Did you try to change the store (see link "Choose Store" in the left top corner under the ad banner)?
Do you have the correct country in the billing address of your iTunes store account?
You cannot change the country yourself, you have to call Apple to do so!

Yep
satty

caveman_uk
Aug 12, 2004, 03:06 PM
I'm in now but that error message is very common for me. Yes I do have 4.6...

I've spent around 25 on iTMS so yes my account is set up properly.

The thing's just unreliable....

caveman_uk
Aug 12, 2004, 03:08 PM
It's doing it again....arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ckelley
Aug 12, 2004, 03:16 PM
I'm from the US but I can navigate the UK store just fine.

Gee
Aug 12, 2004, 03:22 PM
It's doing it again....arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never happened to me at all. You click on Music Store and instead of loading the store it comes up with a message saying you need to upgrade? Or does the message come up when you're trying to buy something?

edesignuk
Aug 12, 2004, 03:43 PM
Try dumping iTunes pref files?

I've bought quite a few tracks off there too, and I have never had a problem.

caveman_uk
Aug 12, 2004, 04:06 PM
Never happened to me at all. You click on Music Store and instead of loading the store it comes up with a message saying you need to upgrade? Or does the message come up when you're trying to buy something?
The former...it seems according to the Apple discussion boards I'm not alone either.

It's done it for me since iTMS arrived in the UK. I used to be able to circumvent it using the search box but in the last week this now searches the US iTMS not the UK one. It's as if my store preference is now being reset to the US everytime. I've tried trashing the prefs files and reinstalling 4.6 but to no avail. It also does it on two different machines. Maybe it's my ISP (NTL cable)?

caveman_uk
Aug 12, 2004, 04:42 PM
Can someone open a terminal and ping phobos.apple.com and see if you get anything back?

Savage Henry
Aug 12, 2004, 04:49 PM
....Maybe it's my ISP (NTL cable)?...

I often get the message, and I am running on NTL.

I find that it just hitches at the iTMS homepage. If you use the search bar you can still find your way around and eventually the homepage clicks into place.

It's a pain in the ring for sure, but it hasn't stopped me continuing to pay for stuff.

Applespider
Aug 12, 2004, 08:45 PM
It works fine for me but I agree the iTMS UK is sucking a bit

There's not a great deal of new 'new music' on it. It's mainly old stuff that's getting 'Just Added' and this week's update seems to have a pile of Asian music and not a lot else.

I've mailed them and suggested a few titles that I'd like to appear but I am a bit disappointed at how long it seems to be taking to get new stuff on there.

caveman_uk
Aug 13, 2004, 03:13 AM
I find that it just hitches at the iTMS homepage. If you use the search bar you can still find your way around and eventually the homepage clicks into place.

Yeah, You used to be able to do that....now it forgets I'm a UK store person so searches the US store. As I can't get to the front page I can't change it back to the UK store....so I'm ****ed basically
:(

Savage Henry
Aug 13, 2004, 03:40 AM
....now it forgets I'm a UK store person so searches the US store. As I can't get to the front page I can't change it back to the UK store....

Yeah mine kept doing that ... I've tried reversing polarities, upgrading the lithium crystals and wurzling my durzles, but all to no avail. That's why I think it may be an NTL thing, whose broadband capacity leaves something to be desired, cos I was expecting more posts like this.

Currently I just faff with the search bar and press the home button in a kind of random frequency.

If you're still searching through the US store, have you tried entering it through the http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/. The links there will lead you directly into the UK store.

kettle
Aug 13, 2004, 04:18 AM
I'm with caveman and henry

exactly the same goings on, and yes everything is all up to date.

When it gives me the update message, I usually click browse and then click one of those arrows on the individual track listings this seems to get it to load all the pretty pictures and stuff.

If it plops me into USA land I use the drop down at the bottom of the page and that does it ok too.

caveman_uk
Aug 13, 2004, 04:44 AM
Currently I just faff with the search bar and press the home button in a kind of random frequency.

I usually try shouting 'Work you b*stard!!!!!' at it. Either that or shopping at 4am!!!!

dobbin
Aug 13, 2004, 06:25 AM
Never happened to me. The store is always rock solid and I never lose my connection. Oh, actually I did have problems during the high points of the 100,000,000 promotion but never before or since.

When I read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about the lack of music on iTMS UK, in which case I'd agree. There's no point having 500,000 tracks if they are tracks that people don't want to buy.

Its getting better slowly, but won't be *really great* until it has a similar amount of music that I can find on amazon.

Lincoln
Aug 13, 2004, 06:42 AM
I thought that I was the only one who got this. I'm on NTL cable too! And I also have to search to bypass the homepage. :mad:

Since the UK iTMS has been out I have been using this with my PC, I got my Powerbook yesterday and it hasn't happened on that - yet.

Recently I also got stuck on the US iTMS too and I had to click on my login box to force it to go back to the UK - whcih "wasn't available". :mad: However the next day I could (eventually) get into the UK iTMS.

However it usually happens 1 time in 3!

I'll post an update when I've been using my Powerbook for a few days.

Finally, where is all of the indie bands that signed up a few weeks ago. Still no Franz Ferdinand and White Stripes - ???

MacRy
Aug 13, 2004, 07:41 AM
I occassionaly have problems with the UK store too. It defaults to the US store and when I click on the UK store it just keeps going to the US. A friend at work had the same problem too on his Windows version of iTunes. Very annoying. :mad: