Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dodi-h

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2009
I'm using a 10.4.11 macbook, 2G of ram, mostly connected and updated.My provider is using PPPoE wirelessly so i have to connect first the wireless network of my provider and then to establish the pppoe connection;at least the provider's instructions are this way...
Well, i've managed to connect checking the "connect using PPPoE" in the System Preferences/Network/location BUT now, every single time i try to reconnect, i get a conversation window saying "Internet Connect could not find a PPPoE server", and i have to click OK, then i have to open the System Preferences/Network, choose the location, unlock the System Preferences, re enter the password for pppoe(it works even if i just modify one letter, the last, for example, obviously i put the same letter again), click "Apply now", then click "Allow once" on the confirmation window that appears saying that "NetCfgTool wants permission to change access permissions of item "PPP password" in your keychain.Do you want to allow this?", i click Allow once, as is the only valid option, then another confirmation window appears for "Confirming acces to keychain" saying "pppd wants permission to use the "PPP password" item from your keychain.Do you want to allow this?"
Now i press "always allow" because the option is available and because if i press "allow once", by experience, it's not connecting!
Now, i go quickly at the Air Port sign in the top bar of the screen, click it and, from the drop down menu containing the wireless networks, i choose my provider's network and click the drop down option "connect".
Now the connection is made instantly. But after so much annoying clicks. It is crazy!
I don't know what to do, i did deleted all my locations, and make a single one new, for this provider(except automatic), but the same deal.
After reading some posts, i've tried to uncheck the "Save password" option in Network/System Preferences but it is NOT POSSIBLE , at least for me, as the very moment i uncheck this option, the password disappears, and the moment i start to write it again , the option is auto-checking and stays like this.
I've checked with System Profiler and i found out that the stored password showed by System Profiler is wrong completely: at Network/Locations the Authorization Password is 36 characters(wow!) in 5groups(serial-like).
Meanwhile the Authorization Name stays correct!
I've tried to connect with Internet Connect and no way, except it says "could not find a pppoe server..."
This is replicable 100%.
I've tried to lock my keychain, no use.
I've tried to use "assistant" and "diagnostic" , no succes!
I've deleted several times the PPP password from the keychain (using Keychain Access), the same result, every time i get disconnected,because of a restart, for example, i have to accomplish this routine, it's very, very annoying.
Can somebody give me some instructions?Tanks for help, i need it much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.