PDA

View Full Version : powerbook or macbook pro

hansolo669
Dec 27, 2009, 10:43 PM
i have a question:
should i buy a 15inch powerbook g4 (high res, or a older model macbook pro? i don't really need lots of power as its mainly going to be used for school work and some internet (but nit a lot) i have a more powerful desktop so, recommendations? anyone?
also note that i am on an (nonworking) high schoolers budget which (for most of the year = $0

r.j.s
Dec 27, 2009, 10:46 PM
It really depends on your budget.

PowerBooks are dead, and any MBP will outperform them. Software is starting to move away from PPC as well.

nufanec
Dec 27, 2009, 11:03 PM
Don't get a PowerBook. Even the top of the line ones are incredibly slow these days. MacBook or MacBook Pro all the way.

hansolo669
Dec 27, 2009, 11:06 PM
tru most software is moving to intel
btw is: http://techrestore.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18606&cat=437&page=1 a good price for what im getting? decent retailer? ect?

r.j.s
Dec 27, 2009, 11:11 PM
I think that is too high for the machine.

njean777
Dec 27, 2009, 11:19 PM
tru most software is moving to intel
btw is: http://techrestore.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18606&cat=437&page=1 a good price for what im getting? decent retailer? ect?

you could get a better macbook for that price. Try looking at the refurbished section on apple.com you can get some great deals on there.

hansolo669
Dec 27, 2009, 11:20 PM
I think that is too high for the machine.

oh....well any sugeestions (anyone :? )

hansolo669
Dec 27, 2009, 11:51 PM
you could get a better macbook for that price. Try looking at the refurbished section on apple.com you can get some great deals on there.

for $700 (im in canada btw) apple.ca dosnt (i beleve) for that price so...

spaceballl
Dec 28, 2009, 12:41 AM
If you're worried about budget, buy a used macbook. Make sure you're on Intel architecture, preferably 64 bit. If you can wait, new Macbooks are predicted to be coming out soon after January, based on a completely new architecture. I imagine prices on older laptops will drop even more after that.

SnowLeopard2008
Dec 28, 2009, 01:43 AM
Don't spend $700 for a PowerBook.

You can easily get a used MacBook that will outperform it in every way for around the same price.

nuke123
Dec 28, 2009, 04:38 AM
I totally agree, if you cant afford mbp at the moments save up a little and buy it later on theres no point getting a powerbook IMO http://www.freesmileys4u.info/pics/x/1.gif

hansolo669
Dec 28, 2009, 09:36 AM
thanks every one :D
and spaceballl i dindnt know new macbooks with a new arcitecture were coming out soon, good to know
good for used prices two :p

also the $700 that was throun araound was for a used macboo pro, not a g4 powerbook
well i shall ponder in the comfort of my own head and see what i think :cool:

milton.sheaf
Dec 28, 2009, 11:01 AM
also note that i am on an (nonworking) high schoolers budget which (for most of the year = $0
In that case, I recommend utilizing a non-volatile storage medium, like a book. Soft cover will be cheaper than hard cover, but there is likely a used book store near you where you can realize substantial savings over the price of a new book.

student_trap
Dec 28, 2009, 11:08 AM
remember that as a student you are eligible for discount prices from the apple store online

Darth.Titan
Dec 28, 2009, 12:58 PM
remember that as a student you are eligible for discount prices from the apple store online

Actually the student discount is for higher education only. There's no discount for high school students.

hansolo669
Dec 28, 2009, 05:58 PM

high school :confused: i though that was for universtys? meh i get a staff discount anyway (long story)

oppse thanks Darth.Titan:p

student_trap
Dec 28, 2009, 07:26 PM
Actually the student discount is for higher education only. There's no discount for high school students.

there is actually (at least in the UK). However it is not as good a discount as the HE one:)

J the Ninja
Dec 28, 2009, 08:42 PM
there is actually (at least in the UK). However it is not as good a discount as the HE one:)

In the US, there is no discount at all. The student discount is HE-only.

hansolo669
Dec 28, 2009, 10:31 PM
In that case, I recommend utilizing a non-volatile storage medium, like a book. Soft cover will be cheaper than hard cover, but there is likely a used book store near you where you can realize substantial savings over the price of a new book.

ummmmm...what!?!?!?!?...oh wait, ha ha very funny :|

erratikmind
Dec 28, 2009, 10:33 PM
I have 2 PBs, which are still running as new. They are both excellent rigs, which have and continue to serve me well for certain things. Earlier this year, I upgraded to a uMBP and I am quite pleased. In today's world, there are certain tasks, which I need to perform, that my PBs are not fully capable of performing. I would definitely look into the newer rigs.

hansolo669
Dec 29, 2009, 12:11 AM
I have 2 PBs, which are still running as new. They are both excellent rigs, which have and continue to serve me well for certain things. Earlier this year, I upgraded to a uMBP and I am quite pleased. In today's world, there are certain tasks, which I need to perform, that my PBs are not fully capable of performing. I would definitely look into the newer rigs.

finaly a pb owner to ask questions of :P how are your powerbooks for word documents and such (powerpoints exel etc) and light(i know the limets i have a single 1ghz mdd) fire fox web browsing?

SuperCompu2
Dec 29, 2009, 12:17 AM
finaly a pb owner to ask questions of :P how are your powerbooks for word documents and such (powerpoints exel etc) and light(i know the limets i have a single 1ghz mdd) fire fox web browsing?

I have a 1.33GHz PowerBook G4 at school with me (Soph. year college) and it's great! I do computer coding (C and other languages), word processing and web things without a hitch. Most people whining about performance never owned a PowerBook. I put 2GB RAM and Leopard on mine and it flies! I'm typing this to you right now on it!

Coincidentally, I'm actually selling mine to update my aging desktop. So, if you're in the market for a PowerBook, let me know! (I have a thread in the marketplace too if interested)

PowerBooks are great, and despite the performance drawbacks when compared to higher end (and priced) models, they make the perfect compliment to a powerful desktop!

SkyBell
Dec 29, 2009, 12:24 AM
I agree with the above poster, anybody who says PowerBooks (or any of the later era G4 Macs) are slow have never used one. They may not be as fast as the newer Intel Macs, but they have more then enough power to get the average college student/user through their day. If you can find one for a good price, go for it.

(Based off of experience here; I ran off of a1.33 GHz G4 iBook, and now on a 1.42 GHz eMac; both have served me very well, with no complaints about speed.)

hansolo669
Dec 29, 2009, 12:26 AM
I have a 1.33GHz PowerBook G4 at school with me (Soph. year college) and it's great! I do computer coding (C and other languages), word processing and web things without a hitch. Most people whining about performance never owned a PowerBook. I put 2GB RAM and Leopard on mine and it flies! I'm typing this to you right now on it!

Coincidentally, I'm actually selling mine to update my aging desktop. So, if you're in the market for a PowerBook, let me know! (I have a thread in the marketplace too if interested)

PowerBooks are great, and despite the performance drawbacks when compared to higher end (and priced) models, they make the perfect compliment to a powerful desktop!

ironic that i want a pb because i want a powerfull desktop...forces me to use it! btw could you either post or pm the marketplace link? id like to see it :D(and incidentaly i am (finaly...agin) in the market for a g4 powerbook, yay:apple:
btw is it a ti book or a al book? just wondering

tucker3434
Dec 29, 2009, 12:41 AM
There's a macbook in the refurb section of the apple store now for $750. Comes with a 1 yr warranty too.

hansolo669
Dec 29, 2009, 12:51 AM
There's a macbook in the refurb section of the apple store now for $750. Comes with a 1 yr warranty too.

thanks

hansolo669
Jan 1, 2010, 10:23 PM
i have a single 1ghz powermac g4 and it is relly slow with you tube...but that could just be because uts inly running with 16mb of vram :eek:so to you powerbook g4 owners hows youtube and other flash and java sites with your 32-128 mb of vram? also only reson im asking is because i know the programs i need to run will work so the internet is all thats left :p

r.j.s
Jan 1, 2010, 10:36 PM
i have a single 1ghz powermac g4 and it is relly slow with you tube...but that could just be because uts inly running with 16mb of vram :eek:so to you powerbook g4 owners hows youtube and other flash and java sites with your 32-128 mb of vram? also only reson im asking is because i know the programs i need to run will work so the internet is all thats left :p

Flash will always suck on any PPC, and it will only get worse. Nothing can improve that.

hansolo669
Jan 1, 2010, 10:56 PM
Flash will always suck on any PPC, and it will only get worse. Nothing can improve that.

oh.............
daim that sucks ....wow almost makes me want to go to th mbp side :P

hansolo669
Jan 2, 2010, 09:51 AM
oh..............

wait...i had (its dead now) a g3 ibook and youtube worked perfactly on it...i am confuseds :confused:

splitpea
Jan 2, 2010, 10:06 AM
In the US, there is no discount at all. The student discount is HE-only.

Are you sure about that? The primary and secondary schools I attended are on the list of schools to enter the education store, and if I select one, everything appears discounted.

hansolo669
Jan 2, 2010, 10:27 AM
Are you sure about that? The primary and secondary schools I attended are on the list of schools to enter the education store, and if I select one, everything appears discounted.

strange, but im able to do that it just dosnet mean that as a student you get a discount its only for staff members, atleast thats how it is on the ca apple store :cool:

zorahk
Jan 2, 2010, 05:32 PM
Can we please stop deluding ourselves here and come back to reality:

PPC sucks. There is no reason to buy a computer with a PPC in it. It is old, outdated technology, and runs like **** with newer Mac OSes. All PPC computers have been EOL'd and you will not get any hardware support from apple. Why would you waste money on this stuff? I never understood people who are like "oh you can use a mac for 5 years" Computers should be replaced every 2 years at the least.

hansolo669
Jan 2, 2010, 11:22 PM
Can we please stop deluding ourselves here and come back to reality:

PPC sucks. There is no reason to buy a computer with a PPC in it. It is old, outdated technology, and runs like **** with newer Mac OSes. All PPC computers have been EOL'd and you will not get any hardware support from apple. Why would you waste money on this stuff? I never understood people who are like "oh you can use a mac for 5 years" Computers should be replaced every 2 years at the least.

2 years, relly, i suppose you change whenever apple updates or as soon as something that fits you better comes out eh? well i ask you mr upgrade every 2 whene dose it all seem tomuch we are alwaas chasing the newest fsatest thing from where ever and ill admit ppc has lost some of its ede and it will comtiue to fall behind but from personal experiance no one (with the exeption of movie editors and high high end software devs) needs to upgrade every 2 most people even power users should only have to upgrade when the machine they bought new or used no longer preforms (with any kinde of effiancy and speed) the tasks that it is asked to do, in my family only me and my brother need resonably fast hardware and that is because im editing video and my brother is an obsessive gamer, but in addtion my family has been using the same desktop for atleas3-4 years and befor that and older one for 5-6 years, for school work i used a think pad t41, and now for editing im using a g4 powermac, and will contiue to use it untill my skill level is at a point when i need more powerfull hardware and then i will upgrade.
my final question is what, do you do on your new mbp that a ppc powerbook or erlier mb/mbp cant do? and judging by your sig, i say nothing.

Badger^2
Jan 2, 2010, 11:40 PM
i have a question:
should i buy a 15inch powerbook g5

I think you should get the Powerbook G5, dual optical drives rock:

http://www.rkdigital.net/news/17085pBookG5.jpg

thatguysmells
Jan 2, 2010, 11:42 PM
i have a question:
should i buy a 15inch powerbook g5 (high res, or a older model macbook pro? i don't really need lots of power as its mainly going to be used for school work and some internet (but nit a lot) i have a more powerful desktop so, recommendations? anyone?

I think you should definitely get a "powerbook g5" Haha, but seriously buy a new MBP, you won't regret it.

hansolo669
Jan 2, 2010, 11:50 PM
I think you should definitely get a "powerbook g5" Haha, but seriously buy a new MBP, you won't regret it.

lol powerbook g5 :D
(not aimd at any one but; wonder if anyone read my massive rant :P)
i wold get a new mbp but most of my resources are going to a new(maby newish?) mac pro ... but thats a bit in the future. even if iDont get a new mbp one of the older ones ie peren snata rosa sould do fine as they support all of 10.6s features.

dam you guys are pulling me in so many directions :eek:

*eidt* i wrot that!!!!! meh its like 12 at night i wrot that at ....12 the other night

SuperCompu2
Jan 3, 2010, 01:42 PM
I'll definitely admit, heavy Flash/Java saturated sites like MTV or the like do put a strain on the older units, but it's definitely not a reason to shy away from the platform!

I dont think YouTube performance is anything to hinge a computer's quality on. If it costs me 1200 dollars to upgrade my minute-long homemade video watching experience, I think I can wait. 8)

In terms of the other tasks, I still use my PowerBook for all sorts of tasks! I edit photos, edit movies, and do all sorts of office productivity just fine with it. If I run my PowerBook alongside my school friends' much younger laptops, it absolutely embarrasses them with the speed and efficiency. Word loads faster, pages load quicker in Safari, I can access my files faster, and simple tasks like connecting to a wireless network are much easier with the PowerBook.

Sure, all of this and more is possible with a MBP, but for the price (currently looking to sell mine for about 300), you cannot beat the reliability and flexibility. And of course, you still have the benefits of FW800, Full-size DVI, USB 2.0, bluetooth, AND S-Video, which the MBP cannot boast :)

You'll never convince me my PB G4 is underpowered. Not for the next year or so at least :) Until there is some essential, experience-changing feature it lacks: no dice.

hansolo669
Jan 4, 2010, 03:44 PM
I'll definitely admit, heavy Flash/Java saturated sites like MTV or the like do put a strain on the older units, but it's definitely not a reason to shy away from the platform!

I dont think YouTube performance is anything to hinge a computer's quality on. If it costs me 1200 dollars to upgrade my minute-long homemade video watching experience, I think I can wait. 8)

In terms of the other tasks, I still use my PowerBook for all sorts of tasks! I edit photos, edit movies, and do all sorts of office productivity just fine with it. If I run my PowerBook alongside my school friends' much younger laptops, it absolutely embarrasses them with the speed and efficiency. Word loads faster, pages load quicker in Safari, I can access my files faster, and simple tasks like connecting to a wireless network are much easier with the PowerBook.

Sure, all of this and more is possible with a MBP, but for the price (currently looking to sell mine for about 300), you cannot beat the reliability and flexibility. And of course, you still have the benefits of FW800, Full-size DVI, USB 2.0, bluetooth, AND S-Video, which the MBP cannot boast :)

You'll never convince me my PB G4 is underpowered. Not for the next year or so at least :) Until there is some essential, experience-changing feature it lacks: no dice.

true :D found the same thing with my powermac (when it still had the good gfx card :mad: )

also imleaing to a mac pro for home and pb g4 / low end mbp for @school work:D

any way just a kwick thanks to every one :apple:

ravoras
Jan 5, 2010, 12:21 PM
PPC is obsolete, all the new technology is moving towards Intel Architecture. Definitely go for an Intel.

If you cannot find one in your range, I have a spare MacBook (Black) lying around which if you are interested in we can talk about. I'd be looking for $700 on it. PM me if you need specs.

Archon Gold
Jan 5, 2010, 02:45 PM

works fine on my 12" 1.5

if you aren't going into 3D rendering then a PowerBook will be fine for you for another year or so, I love my 12" and I will never sell it, the build quality of it is soooo much better than the Macbook and Mac Mini I used to have, they don't build computers the way they used to :(.

hansolo669
Jan 5, 2010, 06:54 PM
works fine on my 12" 1.5

if you aren't going into 3D rendering then a PowerBook will be fine for you for another year or so, I love my 12" and I will never sell it, the build quality of it is soooo much better than the Macbook and Mac Mini I used to have, they don't build computers the way they used to :(.

lol true very few computers are built the same way they used to be :cool:
and lol even if i was going into 3d rendering id still get a powerbook...cause id get a mac pro for the renders:p
but relly, nice:)

quick note oprea loads faster on my g4 than on my dual core win 7 lappy :eek: thats when you know somethings wrong.