Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
I attempted to google this however I got some mixed results. However I do think that most of the reviews that I was reading was from older Mac Mini models.

I want to get a Mac Mini for a Media Center for my TV. I have alot of iTunes HD TV shows and movies, as well as various Blu-Ray and Downloaded 1080p .mkv rips. I play them fine on my Mac Pro w/ VLC... was wondering how the Latest Gen Mac Mini handles it?

Thankas

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I know I view movies via Plex with my Mini 2.0ghz (so it's the second to last model thus far) in 1080p with no issue.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Any mini with a CPU of 2.0GHz or more should have few problems.

How perfectly non-committal of you. ;)
But really, you're right as there should be few problems but in my case and use I have had no real problems. I do find it better to house the content locally or be sure I'm not clogging my network up with other junk while streaming something HD.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
How perfectly non-committal of you. ;)
But really, you're right as there should be few problems but in my case and use I have had no real problems. I do find it better to house the content locally or be sure I'm not clogging my network up with other junk while streaming something HD.
I am thinking of the bird scene in Planet Earth. Even a 2.53GHz mini has a problem with that. But they are rare and it depends on both the encoder and decoder.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How does Plex compare to Front Row?
You cannot compare greatness with the bag of hurt that front row is. ;)
But really, Front Row is no match for Plex and I think FR requires you to have content encoded much like how iTunes does, which also sucks.

I am thinking of the bird scene in Planet Earth. Even a 2.53GHz mini has a problem with that. But they are rare and it depends on both the encoder and decoder.

I was really just messin' with you. I don't have PE so I am not sure but I assure you, there will be movies I run across that run into that very issue.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
You cannot compare greatness with the bag of hurt that front row is. ;)
But really, Front Row is no match for Plex and I think FR requires you to have content encoded much like how iTunes does, which also sucks.
FR = ease of use (only slightly better)
Plex = everything else

There just is no comparison.

I was really just messin' with you. I don't have PE so I am not sure but I assure you, there will be movies I run across that run into that very issue.
You are wicked. :p

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I am thinking of the bird scene in Planet Earth.

That scene is a bogus test. It is encoded in some weird implementation of VC-1 that the BBC uses and is only at 20 mbps. Even my 3.2 gHz quad-core Plex hackintosh had trouble with it. However, when I bought the Blu-ray set and transcoded to 1080p m4v at 20 mbps it plays just fine, even on my 2 gHz Mini.

Can Plex play my purchased iTunes content?

No, not directly. You can launch Front Row from within Plex and it will play your iTunes-purchased videos, though.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
That scene is a bogus test. It is encoded in some weird implementation of VC-1 that the BBC uses and is only at 20 mbps. Even my 3.2 gHz quad-core Plex hackintosh had trouble with it. However, when I bought the Blu-ray set and transcoded to 1080p m4v at 20 mbps it plays just fine, even on my 2 gHz Mini.
That's good to hear. I know that scene was always used as the Holy Grail of 1080p playback so if it was in fact an aberation, then things should go smoothly. I was thinking of upgrading my 1.66GHz to a new refurb but wasn't sure if the 2.0GHz could handle all situations. Looks like it can. Now if only Apple would open up the hardware decoding APIs so Plex can make use of the 9400m...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.