PDA

View Full Version : Points of Interest App

umdjb
Dec 28, 2009, 08:00 AM
Hey everyone,

I am looking for an app that will utilize the 3GS camera, GPS and digital compass to point out points of interest as I shoot them with my camera. Something that shows me information from Wikipedia overlaying the actual building or monument.

Any suggestions???

Thanks.

STEVESKI07
Dec 28, 2009, 09:53 AM
Hey everyone,

I am looking for an app that will utilize the 3GS camera, GPS and digital compass to point out points of interest as I shoot them with my camera. Something that shows me information from Wikipedia overlaying the actual building or monument.

Any suggestions???

Thanks.

The Yelp and Urbanspoon apps have this, but this is only for restaurants mainly.

NewGenAdam
Dec 28, 2009, 10:00 AM
my fear is that the technology isn't precise enough.
You would need a very good GPS and magnetometer signal for it to be accurate. Doesn't help that the area you're in will probably be built up.
The iPhone isn't currently renowned for the quality of its locational hardware, but it will hopefully improve!

a bit pessimistic, sorry

STEVESKI07
Dec 28, 2009, 10:09 AM
my fear is that the technology isn't precise enough.
You would need a very good GPS and magnetometer signal for it to be accurate. Doesn't help that the area you're in will probably be built up.
The iPhone isn't currently renowned for the quality of its locational hardware, but it will hopefully improve!

a bit pessimistic, sorry

You're right. It is extremely innacurate. It was fun to play with for about 10 minutes though.

NewGenAdam
Dec 28, 2009, 10:34 AM
You're right. It is extremely innacurate. It was fun to play with for about 10 minutes though.

haha that's a shame but I thought as much! Seems the best way to navigate and find out what's where is with a 'traditional' top-down map.
But superimposing a rough GPS location and compass is helpful too ^^