Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpileggi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
This is my first time on this forum and new to the itouch.

I am looking to purchase the itouch, but I am not sure if I should get the 32GB or 64GB. Yes, I can afford the 64GB. Yes, it’s double the amount of space, but I do really need that much?

Thanks!

Monica

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
How much music do you have any? Would you be putting any videos on there? Do you need to always have all your music collection with you?

Ryan0594

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
When I bought mine (1 month and 1 day ago) I was deciding between an 8gb, 32gb or 64gb. I could afford any of them, but I had other stuff I needed to get too so I decided to get the 32gb.
I honestly regret that now considering how much I use and love the iPod Touch. If I could change my mind I'd do it without a second thought. Also, everyone I know who got an 8gb or 32gb wishes they'd got the 64gb.

So I recommend you get the 64gb and have no regrets. :)

May I add I survived with a 1gb iPod Shuffle for a year and never filled it with more than 20 - 30 songs at a time (I was keeping it manageable so I could easily navigate it), but once you get used to having so much space you'll ALWAYS find a way to fill it.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
1) How much stuff are you really going to carry around with you?
2) How long are you going to keep3) the device (it may pay to get more memory up front if you are goint to keep it for several years)?
3) What's your budget? Buy what you need...not what you want.

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
how much are you going to use it
If you run out if battery before you watch or listen to everything then the rest is useless because whenever you charge you can probably sync unless you always use a wall charger
anyway if you do the math the 64 is much more increased price difference for the amount of space

mpileggi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Thanks for the replies!! I appreciate it.

Yes, I would add movies to itouch. I travel a lot, so thinking I could watch movies on the plane and while on sea days while cruising…although I’m thinking just a few movies per travel/vacation, which I can remove and add others later.

My husband bought me the nano, 8gb for Christmas and after loading over 1,000 songs, I told him I wanted the 16gb. This led me to the itouch! Will be returning the nano.

My original mp3 player was a Rio, which I think I had 250 songs, so this is a huge increase but again, I knew I would need more space.

I plan to keep it for a very long time. I’m not one to buy something and then upgrade a year or 2 later, but most likely 4-5 years.

I don’t have a budget limit, so the 64GB is affordable for me. Costo has the 64GB, which I like purchasing from them because of their 90-day return policy…if something goes wrong or if I have a defective product. They don't carry the 32GB.

If I decide on the 32GB, do you have recommendations where to buy it? Amazon? If I don't buy from Costco, I'd like to be able to purchase from a place that I can return if there's a problem.

Thanks!

Monica

mpileggi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
how much are you going to use it
If you run out if battery before you watch or listen to everything then the rest is useless because whenever you charge you can probably sync unless you always use a wall charger
anyway if you do the math the 64 is much more increased price difference for the amount of space

I was typing as you posted your comments.

I can see myself using it daily at work to listen to my songs.

Are you saying the 32GB has better battery life or charge?

Monica

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
well what I'm saying is that for example
you watch 2 movies and then the battery dies so there's no need to have space for that 3rd movie because when you charge it just sync that 3rd movie instead of the others
I think the battery lasts longer than that but not much maybe 3 movies
Macmall is a good place to buy apple products its one of the only places with discounts and you get all of apples warranties and they have a good return policy

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
well what I'm saying is that for example
you watch 2 movies and then the battery dies so there's no need to have space for that 3rd movie because when you charge it just sync that 3rd movie instead of the others
I think the battery lasts longer than that but not much maybe 3 movies

True enough, but what if you only have two movies on your touch, then find yourself in the mood for the third one? Of course, nobody is going to listen/watch all the media on a 64GB or even a 32GB ipod beofre the battery runs out. But more storage space means you have more choices about what you want to listen/watch at any time.

DrawnToLife

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
If you can go for it, get the 64GB. But, I mean, I had the same choice and went for the 32 GB model. First of all there were only two choices for the 3rd Gen models. That aside, I don't load full albums, I only load the songs that I like, so I haven't filled to much space. Unless you plan to load full albums and lots of them, I think the 32 GB model would be good enough.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you can go for it, get the 64GB. But, I mean, I had the same choice and went for the 32 GB model. First of all there were only two choices for the 3rd Gen models. That aside, I don't load full albums, I only load the songs that I like, so I haven't filled to much space. Unless you plan to load full albums and lots of them, I think the 32 GB model would be good enough.

Somebody gave me a 32GB 3rd gen, and like DrawnToLife says, it is good enough. But I would prefer to have the 64 GB, because I keep on losing track of what songs I have on the ipod and what ones I don't. It'd be nice to be able to throw my entire music collection onto the ipod and forget about adjusting the playlists every time I'm in the mood for a different music selection.

mpileggi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Thanks again for the latest comments.

At lunchtime, I went to Costco and bought the 64GB. I was told they will have the 32GB in stock next week....so, I will continue to think about this but at least I bought it now since Costco had an instant $20 off. One sales guy said the 64GB is overkill to a certain extent but a good deal and no worries about running out of space!

There are some cds/albums that I do want to upload all songs, while others maybe 85% of the songs.

And being able to upload a bunch of movies and having them ready for whenever I want to see them will be nice.

Monica

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I just bought myself the 32gb (after owning the 1st gen 8gb for two years) and all my music and videos take up half the space. If I would have gotten the extra $100 for Christmas, however, I would have bought the 64gb just because of the additional storage space. Would I use it, I don't know. But it is nice to know you have that space if you need/want it.

roccogls

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2009
i just got the 32gb given for xmas more than happy with it, does exactly what i want storage is not much of a problem, as if i get bored of an album which i eventually will ill just delete it and replace it with something different, thats even if i do fill it,wont ever watch a video on it so im really happy with the 32gb.... yes the 64gb is more storage but is there really any need.

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
Glad you got the 64GB ;^)

This is my first time on this forum and new to the itouch.

I am looking to purchase the itouch, but I am not sure if I should get the 32GB or 64GB. Yes, I can afford the 64GB. Yes, it’s double the amount of space, but I do really need that much?

Thanks!

Monica

I got the 64GB for Chris-day (combo Christmas and Dec. birthday), and only
have 4GB left . . . ;^) The combination of music, videos, photos, podcasts,
audiobooks and now apps, plus AddressBook and Calendar allowed me to
retire a Palm PDA and a 60GB iPod Photo. I never wanted a camera in the
Touch - I have a 12.1MP camera when I plan on taking photos and a 3.2MP
camera in my 'phone for those unexpected photo opps.

One of the apps is Skype, so I can make calls, too - as long as I'm on a
Wi-Fi network. The included headphones have a microphone.

The only thing you can't do is "disk mode" - the "disk" isn't a disk, so iTunes
doesn't recognize that option. Otherwise, everything is excellent . . .

Are you related to Mitch Pileggi, the actor? ;^)

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I almost have enough for the 64... i've been pondering this today.

I have no clue how much of a struggle it imght be to get the rest of the $$ for the 64, so i'm trying to decide if the 32 "will do".

My library at the moment - which is all on my 30gb video consists of:

14.87gb music
8.14gb audiobooks

movies and tv shows i can't count - because my entire DVD collection is now converted, but i only ever have 1-2 movies on there at time

Currently on my 8gb i have 4.5gb of apps....

Which adds up to 27ish......

See, 32 is just not big enough for me. I don't want to have to choose my music....

To the OP - good choice on the 64! :D

johnnyhow

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
I got an itouch 32g for chrissy, I'm perfectly happy with that amount of memory. I still use my iClassic for tv show storage, podcasts etc the iTouch is more for games movies, YouTube, apps and Internet browsing.

mpileggi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Well, here's a ball curve...I think. Someone at work said to me, "Why get an itouch when you have your netbook computer that you use when you travel?"

This might be true. I bought my samsung NC10 last Feb for around $450. The 64GB I just bought was $380. Am I duplicating "equipment?" I assume what can be done on my netbook can be done on an itouch? Granted, I can't tuck the netbook inside my purse and carry with me all day, but if I want to watch a movie, I can use my netbook.

So, if I am correct, maybe I should go back to my original thought of buying the 16GB Nano for my music and continue to use my netbook for everything else. On the other hand, going from the price of the nano to the 32GB itouch is $100.

Geeze! I'm going nuts. This is as bad as have NAS!

My in-laws are related to Mitch Pileggi...distant, which goes back to the great-grandparents.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Well, only you know your habits.

Do you carry/use a PDA now? For me, one fits "in my pocket" - and one needs a case... no comparison. (note, i don't carry mine in my pocket - it's too big and i'd break it, well, if i have a jacket on it can go in there! LOL!!)

My DD has the new 8gb Nano and it is nice - but i couldn't give up my Apps :D

So basically - do you see anything in the App Store you might want to take advantage of??

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well, here's a ball curve...I think. Someone at work said to me, "Why get an itouch when you have your netbook computer that you use when you travel?"

This might be true. I bought my samsung NC10 last Feb for around $450. The 64GB I just bought was $380. Am I duplicating "equipment?" I assume what can be done on my netbook can be done on an itouch? Granted, I can't tuck the netbook inside my purse and carry with me all day, but if I want to watch a movie, I can use my netbook.

Well, you can't whip out your netbook to play a game while standing in line for a movie, for instance. ;)

Also, it takes a bit of searching and experimenting, but as TraceyS mentions, once you soup up the touch with productivity apps that match your lifestyle, it becomes the best PDA ever. And while you could use your netbook as a PDA, again, it's so much more convenient to whip out your ipod when you want to add an appointment, enter your latest expense, jot down a quick note to yourself...

And if you like to read ebooks or watch movies, yes, the netbook's screen is bigger, but lugging the netbook around in case you have a few spare moments to read/watch something is not a very attractive prospect. Netbooks are just so bulky compared to the touch!

The only thing a netbook does better, IMO, is if you have to type in a lot of text. But for that, I prefer a full-sized notebook. Personally, I'd be leaving the netbook at home and that would be the "duplicate" equipment. Your milage may vary, though.

Maclover564

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
Sure, why not? I mean, if you ever need more space, you wouldn't want to have to go buy another one. If your putting lots of photos, videos, and music on there, I would definatley suggest the 64GB.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I own a 2nd Generation iPod Touch (32GB) and I just love it. I put music, photo's and movies on it. I have about 10 movies on it, the rest is music and just a few photos. I have a lot of music and can easily fill it up if I want. I use handbrake and turn my dvd movies in files that can be watched on the iPod Touch. I use it at the gym (with bluetooth headphones), out on walks, or hook it into my car. If money is no option I would get the 64GB as you can never have too much disk space. But if money is an issue get the 32GB.

Battery life... I think it is excellent. If you turn off wifi and location service under settings (that's when you are not using them of course) battery life will be up to 30 hours when listening to music when plugged into the jack. If you use bluetooth headphones the battery life will be about 16 hours when listening to music. Watching movies... about 10 hours of battery life.

mpileggi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Lots of great comments, thanks! This isn't dead yet, so your comments are appreciated!

I may go with the 32GB. Talked to my brother who told me how much he has on his (between his music, movies, etc) and I think I would be well within the 32GB.

I have never had anything like this before, so I really don't know what APPs are out there. I'll have to see that APPs I could possibly use. I love to travel, so my netbook is great to have to write my journals (typically very long), upload my photos, and keep track of my expenses. Email and surfing the net too. The one thing I use my netbook for is to have my word documents about each of the cities I visit. Can you upload word documents onto itouch?

I can see adding movies but I'm not into youtube or videos.

I suppose the itouch can be my daily "friend" for music at work and at the gym. I did read that you can do e-reading. Maybe an alternative to a kindle??

I guess bottom line is: I'm not in a rush to make a final decision. :D

Monica

PS: Might as well ask: If I end up keeping this 64GB (or switch to the 32) what kind of case do you recommend. I really don't like the shiny backside of this. Catches every finger print! Should have made it with a matte finish.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I did read that you can do e-reading. Maybe an alternative to a kindle??

There's a Kindle app. Also, there is Kindle for PC, and Amazon has said that Kindle for Mac is coming soon. You can install Kindle on your Touch, on your netbook, and on your desktop, and Amazon's whispersync will keep you on the same page on all devices. Very handy, I love it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.