Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Is it possible to install OS X on an emac using my ibook's restore disks? I want to install Panther on the emac, it curently has jaguar. :confused:

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
A. This is not the place to post this. Everyone is going to jump on you about how you should go out and buy a Licenseed copy of panther.

B. Yes it should install, but the restore program will not(You can install those packages from the terminal, gargeband, idvd ect..). Boot you emac with the first cd.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
well

i well i just wanted to know, i mean i already own panther discs, why go out and buy another set? Thats like buying two sets of silverware, one for lunch and one for dinner. :eek:

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
CubaTBird said:
i well i just wanted to know, i mean i already own panther discs, why go out and buy another set? Thats like buying two sets of silverware, one for lunch and one for dinner. :eek:

hey man. Im not try to lecture you, but that comment will get you lectured on this site.

Technically, you are right don't need to buy two sets of silverware. But what you do need is apple's permission to install 10.3 on you other machine. The going price for that is $129, whether you want the cds or not. (Don't forget, Ilife 4 not included).

With that said, IT will work. Just not the right thing to do (TM) :)

phonemonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
Virginia
say this is the case (this IS my case)

Say my dog pissed on my ibook, the ibook is dead, and I go out and get a sawtooth desktop. OS X will install on it but the software restore disks which have more apps, is liscensed to me, is not on 2 computers, and is the only way I can get os 9 on the sawtooth will not work. Is there any way around this without getting an os 9 disk? I really need classic.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm feeling generous today, so I'm going to let KingCobra ream you about this rather than do it myself.

I'm feeling generous to KingCobra though, not you.

No, CubaTBird, you can't do it. phonemonkey, you can't either. Not just for moral reasons--it just won't work.

phonemonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
Virginia
Horrortaxi said:
I'm feeling generous today, so I'm going to let KingCobra ream you about this rather than do it myself.

I'm feeling generous to KingCobra though, not you.

No, CubaTBird, you can't do it. phonemonkey, you can't either. Not just for moral reasons--it just won't work.

Well I for one would like to thank you for your generosity and your conscience with morals. Had I thought of the moral implications of trying to legally install my own software on a single computer without breaking any laws I never would have asked my own question. Again thank you for not reaming me, that would have been dreadful.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
phonemonkey said:
Well I for one would like to thank you for your generosity and your conscience with morals. Had I thought of the moral implications of trying to legally install my own software on a single computer without breaking any laws I never would have asked my own question. Again thank you for not reaming me, that would have been dreadful.
Regardless of tone, Horrortaxi's advice is correct: the restore disks won't work on different systems, esp. to install OS9 with them. You could probably pulls some of the other apps off, but I don't think you'll get OS 9 installed with them. Sorry....

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Legality and ethics aside, the answer is a resounding YES/NO

You cannot boot from and use the restore function.

You Can boot from and then utilize a utility or terminal to extract the package you wish and instal those.

Rather than insight a legal/ethic battle here, just do a search at versiontracker.com or macupdates.com for any app that will extract packages from tomes on instal disks. Then read up on those and you should be able to instal what you want, where you want.

Another option, that I have not tired is to restore from the iBook with other mac in target Firewire mode. I have no idea if this will work, but its easy to try.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Do a man on installer. that will tell you how to install packages from the terminal. All the OS9 ect. stuff is on the CD its just hidden. ls -la will show all files.

phonemonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
Virginia
csubear said:
Do a man on installer. that will tell you how to install packages from the terminal. All the OS9 ect. stuff is on the CD its just hidden. ls -la will show all files.

Thanks for the advice man. Will see what I can do...

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
phonemonkey said:
Yeah, it would have been bad. I'd get ya all worked up and you'd probably cry.

But what you're asking about isn't actually covered in the software agreement. Your iBook disks are for the iBook. It says so right on them. Apple goes so far as to disable them on other machines. Take the hints. But if you're set on doing it, you've been told what your options are.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
CubaTBird said:
Duff-Man says....except silverware does not come with an end user license agreement. People forget that OS X is a *single computer* license, not single user - so if you happen to have more than one Mac you need to get a licensed copy for each....buy it, don't pirate....oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.