PDA

View Full Version : adding an additonal 512 RAM to ibook G4

seablue
Dec 28, 2009, 12:01 PM
I have an ibook G4 133 running on the factory 512 RAM. From what I understand, there is an additional empty slot in there for more RAM right? Would I be able to add an additional 512 RAM or even the 256?
I don't want to open up the laptop til I have to :) Computer is lagging a bit since I've been playing the facebook games.
Thanks

NewMacbookPlz
Dec 28, 2009, 12:17 PM
I'm assuming you mean 1.33ghz?

If that's the case, you have a soldered in 256MB DIMM and a removable 256MB DIMM. If I were you, I'd buy a 1GB DIMM for a few bucks extra and put that in the user accessible slot. RAM replacement on an iBook is pretty easy...just lift the keyboard, remove the AirPort card, remove the tray under the card, and the RAM slot is right there.

seablue
Dec 28, 2009, 12:28 PM
I'm assuming you mean 1.33ghz?

If that's the case, you have a soldered in 256MB DIMM and a removable 256MB DIMM. If I were you, I'd buy a 1GB DIMM for a few bucks extra and put that in the user accessible slot. RAM replacement on an iBook is pretty easy...just lift the keyboard, remove the AirPort card, remove the tray under the card, and the RAM slot is right there.

Just talked with the local mac shop here and they can put in a 1GB in with about the same cost as me buying one and putting it in myself. Maybe just a few bucks more so I'll do that :)
I looked at my HD space and it says..... I have 37.14GB max and have 26.95 GB available and only 10.18 used.
So, I have quite a bit available right? Why is this computer running so sluggish on sme of the facebook games? I was thinking it was from a lack of space but maybe not. I repair permissions, I clear out cache, I do what I can do keep everything clean. Don't know if adding more ram is going to help. What do you think?

NewMacbookPlz
Dec 28, 2009, 01:02 PM
If the facebook games are running as Flash, that's why. Flash in OS X is written horribly as is, and adding that on top of old hardware makes it even worse.

If you haven't already, you can try updating to a newer version of Flash Player for some improvement but it won't be huge.

seablue
Dec 28, 2009, 01:14 PM
If the facebook games are running as Flash, that's why. Flash in OS X is written horribly as is, and adding that on top of old hardware makes it even worse.

If you haven't already, you can try updating to a newer version of Flash Player for some improvement but it won't be huge.

I'm pretty sure they are running on Flash. I have upgrading and it didn't help much :(
So, I probably won't get great workability in OS X correct? Ugh..
Are these games suited more for the PC'ers then?

Surely
Dec 28, 2009, 01:14 PM
Just talked with the local mac shop here and they can put in a 1GB in with about the same cost as me buying one and putting it in myself. Maybe just a few bucks more so I'll do that :)
I looked at my HD space and it says..... I have 37.14GB max and have 26.95 GB available and only 10.18 used.
So, I have quite a bit available right? Why is this computer running so sluggish on sme of the facebook games? I was thinking it was from a lack of space but maybe not. I repair permissions, I clear out cache, I do what I can do keep everything clean. Don't know if adding more ram is going to help. What do you think?

Because memory and hard drive space are not the same thing.

Adding RAM will most definitely help speed up your system.

The facebook flash-based games should work just fine.

My mother has the same iBook as you, and hers runs quite well.

Oh, and you should definitely add a full 1 GB of RAM. Don't bother with the 512 MB.

And do it yourself. It's so easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dybArL0EJ50

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/files/ibookg412.pdf

old-wiz
Dec 28, 2009, 03:15 PM
I upgraded the ram on my iBook g4 1.33 from 512 to 1.25 with no issues. the ram is easy to remove.