PDA

View Full Version : iHologram - For Real This Time

MacRumors
Dec 29, 2009, 04:08 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/29/ihologram-for-real-this-time/)

iPhone developer Jormy (http://www.jormy.com/) just submitted their latest app to the App Store. This is an actual implementation of the iHologram concept (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/08/22/ihologram-looks-remarkable-but-is-it-real/) that we posted about back in 2008.

The app uses the iPhone 3GS's compass feature to dynamically change the perspective of the image (in this case a cat walking) as you turn the iPhone around its axis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03j-bB4Dluw

Article Link: iHologram - For Real This Time (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/29/ihologram-for-real-this-time/)

iphones4evry1
Dec 29, 2009, 04:58 AM
I can barely wait. This is going to be awesome to see on our own phones.

I hope they add more than just the tiger. They can add all kinds of stuff.

Henryz
Dec 29, 2009, 06:04 AM
Looks ok. Not sure I would buy it? Is it a game or just something to look at? :S

jayducharme
Dec 29, 2009, 06:05 AM
I can see some potential for future gaming. But as it looks from the video, iHologram is just a pretty demo of the technology. It doesn't seem to have any other point. If it's offered for free I might get it. Otherwise I'll wait for a later implementation.

Maverick1337
Dec 29, 2009, 06:25 AM
Lol I dont even have a 3GS and i would get this, just for future fun when the next iphone comes out. I'm glad it's real this time because I was so stoked when I first saw this in 2008 and was sadly disappointed when it was a hoax.

underthesun
Dec 29, 2009, 07:05 AM
I can barely wait. This is going to be awesome to see on our own phones.

I hope they add more than just the tiger. They can add all kinds of stuff.

There's actually 5 things you can see right now -- a running ninja, a walking mech, a jeep (best for seeing the anaglyph effect), a cat and that helicopter + air fighter scene.

As for making a game that uses this kind of technology, any suggestions are welcome :)

zombitronic
Dec 29, 2009, 08:24 AM
It's not perfect, but I love the concept. I think a more sensitive magnetometer would be required to improve the effect.

maclancer
Dec 29, 2009, 08:39 AM
I would love to see the compass technology in iPod touch. It can work thru WIFI, it does not need GPS. Its just Apple that want to keep the best features only for the iphone.

zombitronic
Dec 29, 2009, 08:53 AM
I would love to see the compass technology in iPod touch. It can work thru WIFI, it does not need GPS. Its just Apple that want to keep the best features only for the iphone.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the magnetometer (compass) has absolutely nothing to do with WiFi. Instead, it has everything to do with Earth's magnetic field.

mkrishnan
Dec 29, 2009, 08:56 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the magnetometer (compass) has absolutely nothing to do with WiFi. Instead, it has everything to do with Earth's magnetic field.

AFAIK that's correct -- the iPhone 3GS has a physical magnetometer in it; if one were added to the iPod touch, it could do this too. Does this app work purely through the magnetometer, though, or does it use the accelerometer to determine how the iPhone is turned? I guess, the difference is that the orientation of the cat would be absolute with the magnetometer instead of relative?

As far as the mag is concerned, many of the apps on the iPhone that use it, also use data services and/or GPS, since most of the use for the magnetometer to date has been in conjunction with some kind of map or navigation type of feature. I'm sure people could come up with creative things that use a magnetometer and need neither GPS nor data services, but I would think that Apple might not be particularly motivated to add one to the touch until there's some reason to expect people would.

jayducharme
Dec 29, 2009, 08:57 AM
As for making a game that uses this kind of technology, any suggestions are welcome :)

It's actually almost there right now. With the Avatar-style chopper, simply being able to fire at incoming craft and score like so many other top-down shooter games would be enough. The only difference would be a much more enjoyable visual experience. Since the craft is visible in 3D, perhaps damage could occur on all sides and when a certain percentage of the craft is damaged, the game's over.

As for the animals, I can see an added dimension to the virtual pet type of game. You could pet and feed it and lead it around a virtual (or maybe real) world. Again, the overall concept isn't new, but the "holographic" rendering would make the idea more visually appealing.

Darkroom
Dec 29, 2009, 08:57 AM
one of the Labyrinth updates (the first version) and several other titles incorporated accelerometer based 3D appearance a long time ago. besides the fact that this new app also uses the magnetometer to achieve the 3D effect, i'm questioning why this story is of interest.

VenusianSky
Dec 29, 2009, 09:04 AM
All I have to say is Sega's "Time Traveler". 3D holographic video game that looked awesome, but was one of the worst video games ever IMO. From what I recall, thing cost up to $2 a play back in the early nineties.

Sayer
Dec 29, 2009, 09:28 AM
one of the Labyrinth updates (the first version) and several other titles incorporated accelerometer based 3D appearance a long time ago. besides the fact that this new app also uses the magnetometer to achieve the 3D effect, i'm questioning why this story is of interest.

Because w/o movement you can't tell where the device is located on a flat plane. If you rotate yes you can infer direction (based on speed over time), but the magnetometer gives a polar-based position on a flat plane even if you don't move the device at all for a while, or do so very slowly.

Playing the game Katamari on my iPhone gets frustrating because if you don't constantly jiggle the device to one side or the other your movement won't change. With a magnetometer you could simply rotate on a flat plane and get direction from that without having to constantly do a "teeter-totter" movement.

nagromme
Dec 29, 2009, 10:05 AM
Looks great in video, but seeing it live with two eyes will spoil the effect. (The same was true with Mach Dice.) With one eye closed, though, simulating the single eye of a YouTube video camera, the effect could look pretty cool!

Or tote glasses around. I need some in keychain form!

macduke
Dec 29, 2009, 10:58 AM
As far as the mag is concerned, many of the apps on the iPhone that use it, also use data services and/or GPS, since most of the use for the magnetometer to date has been in conjunction with some kind of map or navigation type of feature. I'm sure people could come up with creative things that use a magnetometer and need neither GPS nor data services, but I would think that Apple might not be particularly motivated to add one to the touch until there's some reason to expect people would.

Actually, I believe location services needs to be turned on because the magnetometer is physically located on the same board as the GPS. They are all on one unit that I believe has a single power supply. Yes, it's inefficient, and hopefully Apple will update it in the 4th gen iPhone for those who leave location services off. Though honestly I leave it on with my 3GS. I lucked out and got a "super battery."

duke49er
Dec 29, 2009, 11:16 AM
That's fantastic ! Quite impressive indeed.

Don't know what it's good for, but looks awesome.

Stately
Dec 29, 2009, 01:46 PM
Uh . . I don't know if anyone else noticed but that is not a hologram whatsoever. If you want to call it 3d fine. . nothing is being projected anywhere.

TimDaddy
Dec 29, 2009, 02:57 PM
All I have to say is Sega's "Time Traveler". 3D holographic video game that looked awesome, but was one of the worst video games ever IMO. From what I recall, thing cost up to $2 a play back in the early nineties.
Was that the one with the cowboy that reminded me of Garth Brooks?

MacFly123
Dec 29, 2009, 02:59 PM
Uh . . I don't know if anyone else noticed but that is not a hologram whatsoever. If you want to call it 3d fine. . nothing is being projected anywhere.

THANK YOU! I saw the headline and then watched the video and I was like... HUH :confused: I guess it is kind of cool, but pretty worthless.

kiljoy616
Dec 29, 2009, 03:52 PM
There's actually 5 things you can see right now -- a running ninja, a walking mech, a jeep (best for seeing the anaglyph effect), a cat and that helicopter + air fighter scene.

Make the helicopter smaller and go all out shooting 360 degree game, in the end its a good way to pass the time, perfection not required just fun and wacky games.

Zombie attack haha would also be great, who does not like shooting at Zombie and Infected. :D

marty131
Dec 29, 2009, 05:07 PM
Reminds me of Labyrinth 2.0, which uses the accelerometer at least to make the walls and obstacles on the board "3D" when you tilt it.

phaggard
Dec 29, 2009, 07:08 PM
Looks ok. Not sure I would buy it? Is it a game or just something to look at? :S

It's kind of like my first computer only added 2 + 2 = 4. "What use could a computer be to anyone" I said then. "We already had the calculator."

Kwill
Dec 29, 2009, 08:09 PM
I thought the cat was going to fall off the screen when the phone was tilted. :D

javaGuru
Dec 29, 2009, 09:44 PM
I just loved the way he slammed down his iPhone right near the end of the video. About the only hologram effect I saw was it bouncing off of the table. lol.

aristotle
Dec 30, 2009, 12:07 AM
THANK YOU! I saw the headline and then watched the video and I was like... HUH :confused: I guess it is kind of cool, but pretty worthless.
So where is the link to one of your submissions to the app store? Nothing?

Well you know what they say, those who can, do and those who cannot, critique.

Have you ever even written any code at all that was consumed by other users? Have you written any software period?

MacFly123
Dec 30, 2009, 02:00 AM

Have you ever even written any code at all that was consumed by other users? Have you written any software period?

Funny, I guess the opinion of the consumer or end user doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

And actually I am an iPhone developer. I have 3 apps that are currently in development. :rolleyes:

If you can't take the heat, don't put yourself out there. It is a cool concept, but there isn't really any use for it, AKA useless. :rolleyes:

Stately
Dec 30, 2009, 10:45 AM

What does insulting this dude have to do with the touting of something that is false. Fact is it is 3d, it is NOT a hologram. You could argue all day just to be annoying but the facts remain. No one is stating that the submitter of the app is in any way incompetent. What was stated was that, it was said to be something, that it clearly is not. A hologram equals projection. Nothing here is projected anywhere, it is on a flat surface. Hence . . no hologram.

blybug
Dec 30, 2009, 11:46 AM
What does insulting this dude have to do with the touting of something that is false. Fact is it is 3d, it is NOT a hologram. You could argue all day just to be annoying but the facts remain. No one is stating that the submitter of the app is in any way incompetent. What was stated was that, it was said to be something, that it clearly is not. A hologram equals projection. Nothing here is projected anywhere, it is on a flat surface. Hence . . no hologram.

Uhhh...no. Holograms are specifically 3-D images that have been captured on a 2-D surface. True that this iPhone app is not truly a hologram but your assertion about "projection" is simply incorrect. You probably have a hologram on your driver's license. Is anything being projected there?

You're thinking of Star Trek's Holodeck or R2D2's projection of Princess Leia.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/hologram.htm

Stately
Dec 30, 2009, 12:23 PM
Uhhh...no. Holograms are specifically 3-D images that have been captured on a 2-D surface. True that this iPhone app is not truly a hologram but your assertion about "projection" is simply incorrect. You probably have a hologram on your driver's license. Is anything being projected there?

You're thinking of Star Trek's Holodeck or R2D2's projection of Princess Leia.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/hologram.htm

Yes that is exactly along the lines of what I'm thinking, because that is a TRUE hologram. I can draw in 3d, last time I checked I didn't see anything floating off of the paper.

blybug
Dec 30, 2009, 01:03 PM
Yes that is exactly along the lines of what I'm thinking, because that is a TRUE hologram. I can draw in 3d, last time I checked I didn't see anything floating off of the paper.

No, a TRUE hologram is what is described in the link (http://science.howstuffworks.com/hologram.htm), a 3-D image captured using lasers and holographic film that allows you to see the image from different sides and angles on a flat 2-D surface depending on your viewing angle and direction. They are fairly commonplace (check out many commercial DVD covers) and the technology to create them has existed for a long time.

Your idea of 3-D holographic projection has, until recently, been solely in the world of science fiction. Some progress has been made in the real world (http://www.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/high-tech-gadgets/holographic-environment.htm) and has been shown off at various high-profile events, but is far from being a consumer technology. Certainly no reason to believe that the "iHologram" program for the iPhone would be anything but a visual simulation or optical illusion creating the same sense of depth, angle and rotation of a standard flat holographic image, by using the iPhone's internal accelerometer to determine the viewing angle.

3-D drawing or rendering on a computer screen does not allow you to see the "front" of a character facing away from you by turning your drawing or screen more "sideways" relative to your eyes. That's exactly what happens with a TRUE holographic image (flat), and what is simulated by this iPhone app.

Stately
Dec 30, 2009, 01:18 PM
I'm not going to argue, the fact that people have not yet been able to create a real hologram is not my problem. I'll leave you to your own devices. Ignorance is bliss I guess. Link below, nuff said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volumetric_display

iphonemom
Dec 30, 2009, 06:18 PM
cant wait to see it in action. :D

underthesun
Dec 30, 2009, 07:04 PM
Funny, I guess the opinion of the consumer or end user doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

And actually I am an iPhone developer. I have 3 apps that are currently in development. :rolleyes:

If you can't take the heat, don't put yourself out there. It is a cool concept, but there isn't really any use for it, AKA useless. :rolleyes:

cant wait to see it in action. :D

It's out in the app-store (I'm the developer). Kind of sad to see the thread turn into flamefests into what are holograms and what are not, how this app is useless etc.

But, if I may add, Stately, volumetric displays are not holograms, in fact that article you posted says that holograms *may* be considered part of volumetric display.

As for how real the app looks, if you have a 3D glasses it looks pretty good. I've done as much as I could with regards to it's 3D-ness (aka making it as holograph-y), but there's always magnetic interference, lag between accelerometer and output etc, and the phone's inability to detect where your head is. And the fact that it only works for one person.

But it's there, the result of a few days' worth of work and some maths. Enjoy it, I guess..

MacFly123
Dec 30, 2009, 08:04 PM
It's out in the app-store (I'm the developer). Kind of sad to see the thread turn into flamefests into what are holograms and what are not, how this app is useless etc.

But, if I may add, Stately, volumetric displays are not holograms, in fact that article you posted says that holograms *may* be considered part of volumetric display.

As for how real the app looks, if you have a 3D glasses it looks pretty good. I've done as much as I could with regards to it's 3D-ness (aka making it as holograph-y), but there's always magnetic interference, lag between accelerometer and output etc, and the phone's inability to detect where your head is. And the fact that it only works for one person.

But it's there, the result of a few days' worth of work and some maths. Enjoy it, I guess..

Listen, I tip my hat to you. I'm not trying to be a jerk as I know what it is like to put yourself out there and have the public (online or otherwise) blast you one way or another. But I am assuming you are aware that this app you have made, although a cool concept, will likely be very niche. It is more of a proof of concept than a piece of software that provides lots of uses or entertainment. Am I wrong?

blybug
Dec 30, 2009, 08:14 PM
Just bought it! Very cool effect and yes, great proof of concept that could be integrated into games and other apps. Of course it's not actually a "hologram" but a very clever use of the iPhone's intrinsic abilities to create an effect beyond simple 3-D rendering!!

Kudos!

daisy542
Dec 30, 2009, 08:15 PM
Listen, I tip my hat to you. I'm not trying to be a jerk as I know what it is like to put yourself out there and have the public (online or otherwise) blast you one way or another. But I am assuming you are aware that this app you have made, although a cool concept, will likely be very niche. It is more of a proof of concept than a piece of software that provides lots of uses or entertainment. Am I wrong?

have no idea, a lot, that's for sure. I mainly use them between 3 and 7 volts, so it's very dependant on the speed you run them at aswell.

Stately
Dec 30, 2009, 08:35 PM

I never said they were holograms, nor did I question the relevance of the app. I'm not throwing any flames if it's me your referring to. Macrumors was always a place to come and discuss things that we all relate to regarding Apple. As of late people come here to argue and dispute every little thing that someone posts. It's ridiculous. The reason I put the link there was solely for the purpose of giving an example of what most people think of when the term hologram is mentioned.Don't take my defending myself as an insult to your beautiful work which has much usefulness as I'm sure you already know.

underthesun
Dec 30, 2009, 09:52 PM
I never said they were holograms, nor did I question the relevance of the app. I'm not throwing any flames if it's me your referring to. Macrumors was always a place to come and discuss things that we all relate to regarding Apple. As of late people come here to argue and dispute every little thing that someone posts. It's ridiculous. The reason I put the link there was solely for the purpose of giving an example of what most people think of when the term hologram is mentioned.Don't take my defending myself as an insult to your beautiful work which has much usefulness as I'm sure you already know.

Well, sorry, I was referring to the ones above questioning whether the others have made iPhone apps before or not etc. You are right that most people these days think that holograms == volumetric displays, and the recent CNN stunt didn't help at all. In fact, someone just replied on the youtube vid saying that it's "****, like that CNN crap".

Yaboze
Dec 31, 2009, 03:53 PM
It needs a 3GS? Lame.

DeDoFeDo
Jan 2, 2010, 07:14 AM
Very nice one!

Bevz
Jan 2, 2010, 11:32 AM
It doesn't look that impressive to me... Perhaps the vid doesn't do it justice... Be interesting to see the real thing in action.

SimonMW
Jan 4, 2010, 06:57 PM
There's just one thing I don't understand. How does the app know where your eyes are? I know that seems like a really dumb thing to say, but how does it know to show the right side of the cat or the left side of the cat? Your eyes could be on the left or to the right of the phone for all the app knows. So i gather that the direction that you are located at in relation to the phone must be set in a menu.

underthesun
Jan 4, 2010, 11:07 PM
You first set the phone to face your face straight up. That way it will know where your eyes are.. then you tap the "start" button and don't move your head or the phone, but turn the phone around in its place. With the compass it will know where your eyes are.

miamirabbit
Jan 5, 2010, 09:51 PM
:eek:its actually kind of neat 2 look at...but i laugh at "saved by the bell" so what do i know

smoked
Jan 6, 2010, 02:24 AM
Glad to see it got approved. I bought it out of curiosity and was happy to support the developer. I hope that more apps using this will come out; it is a very neat proof-of-concept. I think it works just fine with both eyes open, better with one eye (tricks you into seeing more depth), and best using 3D glasses.