Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
hello

I'm trying to update my dust covered performa 6400. What is the newest version of os 9 i can install?

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
Yes 9.1 is the highest OS that 6400 will run on, Try to run 9 on it only if you have at least 128 mb ram otherwise put 8.6 or 8.1 on it and itll run great

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
applemacdude said:
Yes 9.1 is the highest OS that 6400 will run on, Try to run 9 on it only if you have at least 128 mb ram otherwise put 8.6 or 8.1 on it and itll run great

why would you suggest this? is os 9 a ram hog? will i be able to do everything in 8.6 that i could in 9.2?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
rickvanr said:
why would you suggest this? is os 9 a ram hog? will i be able to do everything in 8.6 that i could in 9.2?
Your productivity applications should run on MacOS 9.2 if they ran on MacOS 8.6. As for the RAM hog issue, each subsequent new version of an OS can be expected to require more RAM. This is no more or less true of MacOS 9 compared to MacOS 8. The major issue, however, is not the OS but the applications available for it. The applications written for MacOS 9 tended to be larger than the applications released during the reign of MacOS 8. That's just the way things are.

Tulsaboyw

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2005
os 9.22

Os 9.1 with no extra effort on my old performa 6400
And can go os9.22 with very very little effort.
But then I had already maxed out the ram, and put in a much bigger hd.

I always max out ram on any pc I ever buy, and do it rather early in the ownership of new
(new or used) pcs I get. And often before I even do anything with the OS (which often is replaced anyway).
Even my sisnlaws new etower (yuck) was immediately wiped and replaced with XP pro (it had WIN-ME).
She got it cheap and got what she paid for (crap).

Btw, its working just fine, and is definately working much much better than it was under os7.55 (and previously even os753).

For me the big deal is what choices for networking it.
I want to get the mac on my home network, and currently either need to get one of the following:
First two being mac specific.

1. ethernet card so I can plug it in wired to the network.

2. wireless pci

3. usb 2.0 (or 1.1 if 2.0 is an option)
(in order to use a usb based linksys wireless adapter).

#3 is my favorite, in that the linksys product would stay with me if I ever dumped the mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.