Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The legal battle between Nokia and Apple has been ratcheted up another notch today with Nokia's announcement that it has filed a complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) alleging infringement of Nokia-held patents by "virtually all" Apple products, including the iPhone, iPod, and Mac.
The seven Nokia patents in this complaint relate to Nokia's pioneering innovations that are now being used by Apple to create key features in its products in the area of user interface, as well as camera, antenna and power management technologies. These patented technologies are important to Nokia's success as they allow better user experience, lower manufacturing costs, smaller size and longer battery life for Nokia products.
Nokia filed suit against Apple in late October over alleged infringement of Nokia's cellular and Wi-Fi patents by the iPhone. Apple responded earlier this month with a countersuit of its own for infringement of its own patents. In its court filing, Apple argued that it was not infringing on Nokia's patents, and even if it were determined by a court that it was infringing, Nokia had not offered fair licensing terms, demanding reciprocal access to iPhone-related patents not relevant to industry standards.

Article Link: Nokia Increases Scope of Patent Complaints to Include 'Virtually All' Apple Products

0ld-knight

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
so what?

apple's going to do the same on them, let's see who wins...
instead of that they could try to make some good phones as they used to do
Since i was a kid i've been having nokia handsets and they worked fine... as a phone! then iphone came out and changed what a good phone is.
The good thing is that if nokia or google or any other make better machines, apple will have to keep up!

waiting for jan26th... 8-D··

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
In a few weeks, Apple's countersuit will be extended to include every user interface Nokia has ever built.

Move along peeps, this is a cold war game of brinkmanship. With a bit of luck cooler heads at Nokia will intervene and they'll ask a reasonable price for the rights to the GSM patent stack.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Patents out of control (again). Go Apple. Nokia must be scared by the success of the iPhone.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
The issue isn't the patents, its that the iPhone is killing the Nokia business model and they can't counter it.

Patents aren't bad, they were recognized as important to entrepreneurs to benefit from their ideas at the founding of this country over 200 years ago.

Its part of due process to go to court over this stuff, even if its because one company is unable to compete in the open market, they have that right.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
The clowns in Finland or wherever the heck they are, are getting desperate. They want some of Apple's billions. Now they want some of what Apple is getting from the Mac and iPod. Greedy bastards.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
My my, how times have changed in 2009.

The only thing that will stop Nokia's downward slide is innovation + rethinking what it means for users to interact with mobile devices + a great interface/OS + a robust app store + reducing some of that hardware fragmentation.

In short, Nokia has to start over. This isn't 7 years ago.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Maybe Apple should just wait for Nokia's stock price to fall some more, then buy a controlling share of the companies stock.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Wow. Where will all this end up?

I tink that one of the pioneers of modern telecommunication want what they deserve.

(Cue cries of "Nokia fanboy")

Without Nokia (and the others involved in the development of gsm technology), you wouldn't have an iPhone.

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
after years of products in the market, out of nowhere Nokia suddenly noticed these patent violations, … isn't there a deadline for making such claims?

can't wait that in round 3 Nokia will move to some eastern texas court.

IMO the lifetime of patents should be shortened massively, to give companies some motivation to move forward and keep innovating.

genericmacuser

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
I use to work for Nokia back when they overtook Motorola to become the #1 mobile phone. Once that happened they went from being future focused to fashion focused. Worrying too much about making creative looking phones instead of functioning phones.

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Wow. Where will all this end up?

I tink that one of the pioneers of modern telecommunication want what they deserve.

Without Nokia (and the others involved in the development of gsm technology), you wouldn't have an iPhone.

I would agree if they had taken this stand from the very start. However it seems to me that this is a bit of a desperate move in response to their rapidly declining position.

They should concentrate on making a new series of phones that relaunch their brand and not this silly lawsuit. Either bring their OS up to speed or hop on the Android bandwagon, which in my opinion is the smarter option.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I think this sums up what the legal battle is about:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-12-29 at 17.33.16.png
    Screen shot 2009-12-29 at 17.33.16.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 523
  • Screen shot 2009-12-29 at 17.32.48.png
    Screen shot 2009-12-29 at 17.32.48.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 539

jo0

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
after years of products in the market, out of nowhere Nokia suddenly noticed these patent violations, … isn't there a deadline for making such claims?

you would think so wouldn't you. it's like they let Apple embed the "patented work" into the product line to increase the spectrum of use. Bigger fuss = bigger money.

RaZaK

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
are they really this desperate?

Just keep throwing crap against the wall to see if something sticks, Nokia. I'm sure that will help your business instead of using all that money spent on litigation to, you know, create better, more compelling products. :rolleyes:

:apple: FTW

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
..really Nokia? You didn't think to do this before?

If this is an afterthought it sure is a late one.

Not really defending Apple or anything but Nokia took their sweet time.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
If you can't beat them, SUE them!

I have lost all respect for Nokia. Instead of trying to make a better phone to compete with the iPhone, they are trying to kill innovation with lawsuits. Desperate companies always resort to lawsuits just before their end.

This is very bad for consumers.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I would agree if they had taken this stand from the very start. However it seems to me that this is a bit of a desperate move in response to their rapidly declining position.

They should concentrate on making a new series of phones that relaunch their brand and not this silly lawsuit. Either bring their OS up to speed or hop on the Android bandwagon, which in my opinion is the smarter option.

All this is is a reaction to the countersuit that Apple filed.

It will be interesting to see Apples response as there must be more stuff that Apple have that Nokia have infringed on as well as the things in the countersuit claim. (I'll support both sides in their defense as apple deserve to protect their technology as well)

kdarling

macrumors P6
Heads up, fellows.

This is not just another countersuit. It's a complaint with the ITC.

The ITC can and does pretty much make up their own patent rulings.

Just a few years ago, Broadcom went to the ITC with its patents, and the ITC forbid imports to the USA of any Qualcomm based phones manufactured overseas.

That effectively meant that supplies of all CDMA phones would dry up quickly to nothing, rendering Verizon and Sprint helpless. Verizon had to negotiate their own hundreds of millions of dollars of royalty payments, just to free up their phone supply.

This is a very clever move. There is the potential of banning all Apple products manufactured overseas, from entering the USA.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Patents out of control (again). Go Apple. Nokia must be scared by the success of the iPhone.

Apple is certainly guilty of these patent games as well. I always think that those who unjustly pursue to litigate weak "general" conceptual patent ideas deserve to have lawsuits against them for the same. The whole system needs to change, really, but until then, it's an eye for an eye.

Tony

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.